Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 14th, 2008, 09:42 PM

sudden dog drooling, all else seems fine

I noticed yesterday that my 10-year old Corgi, Hunter, was very wet under the bottom of his mouth and through the top of his throat. I thought he was just a sudden messier drinker. Hunter has been fairly healthy except for a few unexplained growths that have shown up over the past year or so (the vet says don't biopsy), and he is fairly overweight (probably by about 20%). It was warmer than usual yesterday (reached about 80) and today (reached about 85). Other than our am and pm walks, he has been lying around in his normal cool places (like the bathroom floor). I now remember seeing little areas of big drops of water around the house the past few days, and thought my kids may have spilled water, etc. Hunter seems very healthy otherwise, eating, sleeping, playing normally. Any ideas? I don't have a thermometer at the moment. Thanks so much for your comments.

This is my first time using this site, and I may have posted this thread in the wrong area originally. Oops. Thanks. Wendy
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:46 PM

Has Hunter had his teeth checked by the vet recently? If he is having an issue w/one of his teeth that will cause excessive drooling.

Did he eat anything he shouldn't have? Toxic plants?

welcome to pets.ca when you're allowed to post pics we would love to see them

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendys View Post
Thank you Growler for your comment. Hunter's teeth haven't been checked for probably over a year. I'll take a peek. I don't think he has eaten anything out of the ordinary, and he hasn't vomited, had diarrhea, etc. He ate both meals today as usual (gulped them down). Wendy
Definately a good idea to have him checked by the vet. When our pets become seniors, over the age of 7, it is a good idea to have them in for a check up twice a year.

It could also just be age related, same as with people, but to be sure book him in for an exam.

When you want to reply to a comment in a thread click the "Post Reply" button underneath the comment made, that way it keeps them all together

Click here http://www.pets.ca/forum/faq.php?faq..._read_and_post for the frequently asked questions re: posting

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:08 AM

Drooling

You just asked my question. My boy has been drooling like mad all night. His nose is a bit warm possibly running a fever. He drools once in a while like this. If he doesn't improve tomorrow morning, a vet visit is in order. I always suspect some human flu bug could pass on to pets since it's going around the house the last week or so. I remember he seemed this way last spring when there's a flu bug in the house. Has anyone heard of that?
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Owned by goldens

sudden drooling

This happened to one of my dogs a few months ago. One evening I noticed large wet spots on the floor, then I noticed that she was soaking wet under her mouth. Everything else seemed fine, she was eating, playing, it was just excessive drooling. It lasted a few hours and by the next morning she was back to normal. We were at the cottage, and there are no vets open at that time of night. I figured she must have eaten something that made her drool.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Remembering Lukka

This happened to my dog as well. We went back and forth to the vet for over a week before we realized she couldn't fully open her mouth to yawn. She still ate normally, did everything else normally, with the exception of drool. Turned out she had Masticatory Myositis. The vet never caught it at first because he sedated her to open her mouth and check for anything lodged in her throat so naturally she had no complaint of pain when her mouth was opened at that time. If her would have tried to pry her mouth open fully awake she would have let out a howl. Anyway I hope you find the problem and all turns out well.