Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 7th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

We honestly only do one walk a day, about 45 minutes....with all the wrestling/fetching/chasing they do they both nap often, are happy and don't appear destructive/bored, and are strong and muscular and our vet said Chase is the doggie equivalent of Lance Armstrong based on his resting heart rate.

We started walking them seperately recently, because they've developed a very negative pack mentality - they behave much better when they are separated, so I'm focusing on training with Chase and DH takes Kailey. Together they are just too hyper and don't listen....Chase is a totally different dog when he just walks with me. When he's with Kailey he copies her leash aggression....which was never there before and isn't present when he isn't with her.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Live well, laugh often

I usually do one walk per day with Riley that is about an hour or slightly more. That usually includes about 15-20 min on leash and the rest is full on off leash crazy dog time on the local hiking trails. If we did not have that ability to go off leash he would probably require twice the walking time to keep us all sane . Weekends usually have longer walks/hikes.

Lucy is 13 now so her walks are a much slower saunter pace. I try to do a shorter walk one day (20 min approx) and then a longer walk every second day or so (30-45 min). She can also occassionally handle longer days as long as it is a slow pace that allows for lots of sniffing breaks . I am sometimes guilty if it has been a long day of skipping her walks but I also really want to maintain some muscle tone on her so I try not to.
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Meaghan Edwards

I have no special set routine for my dogs, I do try to go out every day with them. If I miss a few days or so due to bad weather, etc, they don't complain.
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Senior Contributor

but what about fosters? thanks for all the replies
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I missed this yesterday, had company and didn't get on last night. Shadow and Halo go out every morning at 5:30 am. We walk for about 1/2 hour. Shadow goes out with me at lunch for about 15 minutes. Halo wanders the yard all day with dad. Both get a walk again after dinner for anywhere between 1/2 hour and one hour depending on the weather and their mood as well as mine. If they're being dopey it's shorter. On weekends I try to get them out for a third walk. No offleash park playing though, Shadow is too dog aggressive. Halo pulls so much on her walks she doesn't realize it can make them shorter though.
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor

lol.. Just heading out for walk #3! haha. IF i had fosters, I would DEFINATLY take them for a walk!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, wanna add, I also walk dogs in my community. Kacee my neglect case. And bear my "my owner is too sick to take me for walk but i love them" case love them both. Would do anything in the world, for both!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Skylar gets 3-4 walks a day depending how our day is going. DH walks her at 7:30am for about 20mins, then I take her out when I get home from work at 3:45ish for about 30mins. Another walk in the evening, usually both of us take her and we go for a long walk. Then another short 10-15 min walk before bed.

She amazes me with her ability to hold her bladder. Not once since we got her has she ever "told us" that she has to pee. We always initiate walks, she never asks. You'd swear she uses the toilet when we're not looking.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:31 PM

During the summer my chi's get walked for about an hour every night. They usually get tired and end up with the baby in the wagon. (anyone who has ever walked 2 chi's and pulled a 19 month old in a wagon knows how much fun an hour walk can be) Labs get 2 1 hour walks a day plus they spend all day out in the back yard running around with the older boys. I don't walk my chi's outside in the winter time simply because they would become chihuahuasicles. But I do run them around the basement for a few hours a day to tire them out. I wish we had an indoor dog walk for smaller dogs because they need their exercise too.
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
Skylar gets 3-4 walks a day depending how our day is going. DH walks her at 7:30am for about 20mins, then I take her out when I get home from work at 3:45ish for about 30mins. Another walk in the evening, usually both of us take her and we go for a long walk. Then another short 10-15 min walk before bed.

She amazes me with her ability to hold her bladder. Not once since we got her has she ever "told us" that she has to pee. We always initiate walks, she never asks. You'd swear she uses the toilet when we're not looking.
did I not mention that on the adoption papers??? oh and she likes charmin toilet paper best *L*
seriously, a full grown mature dog can supposedly hold it for 24 hours...not that I want to test that theory
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:45 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

maneater LOL re chi's in baby wagon

babymomma that's just wonderful you even walk other owner's neglected pups, like Chico

Hazel 8 where would you begin and would it ever end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
Skylar gets 3-4 walks a day depending how our day is going. She amazes me with her ability to hold her bladder. Not once since we got her has she ever "told us" that she has to pee. We always initiate walks, she never asks. You'd swear she uses the toilet when we're not looking.
I find if you have a routine their bladder will work around that but (3-4 walks )she doesn't need to use the toilet

I know a wonderful owner who (no choice) but their dog must hold it for up to 12 hrs but I'm not sure the kind of damage that'll do later on not to mention must be painful. I have a key so when I can I bring her with us but it's not possible everyday.

Melinda 24 hrs
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

I just saw this thread.

With my two, they don't get a walk in the morning. I often have to haul Sydney out of bed, she goes out for a pee and she goes right back to bed. We used to walk in the mornings but since moving to this house and already getting up at 5:00am to go to work, we have changed our routine. I have found that with Spencer's SA, it is easier if he doesn't think that he can ever come with us in the morning. He knows that it's out for a pee, has breaky and then he goes to his kennel in the basement waiting for his treats (and he is usually sleeping by the time I Get down there). That being said, they get a nice long walk at night, usually over an hour long or a 5km bike ride which really tires them out (I will often do a loop with both dogs then drop Sydney off at home and do another loop with just Spencer because he has more energy and likes the bike. We also play ball and whatever and they wrestle. By 8:00pm, they are both passed out on the couch. It's a great sight to see.
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

Oh, and I forgot to mention too, on the weekends we get together with friends and either let the dogs play somewhere fenced in or we go for a long hike on their long leashes. It is usually somewhere through the bush where their noses can really get a workout.
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:21 AM

We have a set routine for walks and never get to sleep in. Ever. They both get up around 6:00 am waiting for the morning walk.

On weekdays they get a 1/2 hour walk at 6:00 am in the morning. Breakfast at 6:30, then it is usually a short chase each other around and drop for a nap. At 1:00 pm at lunch they get out for 10-15 minutes for a potty break and then back to napping. At 5:00 pm after getting home they get out for 30-45 minutes, depending on how hot it is and how many of their friends are out to be greeted. 6:00 is dinner and then another play time and nap. 8:00 pm is a walk of 45 minutes, less if the weather is rainy. Then inside and play followed by bed time. Winter time the walks get shortened in really cold weather like -15 when the salt really bothers their feet.

Sometimes the evening walk will be substituted with a walk at the dog park around 7:00 pm. They don't play much at the park, Duke just tends to sniff out every inch and Toby will follow us around as we are following Duke to make sure he doesn't eat anything he shouldn't. This would be followed by a short potty break at 10:00 pm before bed. On weekends they'll get either a longer walk at lunch or a trip to the park.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Doggie Wench

In regards to fosters, most of ours are/have been young pups not utd on vaccines so walks always depend on the individual dog/pup. Where we live now, there's ample space on our property to leash walk/train...we usually do this several times a day in the front yard. We also umbilical with them getting them used to a leash and to following us. For those utd on shots, I take them into the city 1-2 times per week to socialize and get them used to traffic noise/pedestrians in case they get adopted in town. For exercise, we don't leash walk as they have a fenced-in acre to run, chase, and play with us and with our dogs. They have access to the outdoors all day long.

I seldom leash walk our own dogs far off the property as many folk around here let their pets roam. Penny can be leash aggressive and Lucky does not tolerate un-neutered males approaching/meeting him. They, too, exercise each other, chase birds flying overhead endlessly, play fetch/retrieve, dig, and we run them til they're pooped by practicing their stays and recalls. They're actively running/playing an average of 4 hours per day depending on the weather (though Penny and Jasmine will not let rain ruin their fun ).
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

thanks for replying for the fosters LuckyPenny, wow,I want to adopt my next pup/dog from you! Sounds like you're the perfect foster home that trains for any and all adopters.