Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 18th, 2014, 01:41 PM

Funy thing happened on the way to the park...

So I was at the dog run today when a male English Springer Spaniel walked up to me and "marked" me.... he walked up to me, raised his leg, and before I could move peed.

Although horrified, I could not stop laughing. Is it normal behaviour for a dog to "mark" a human?

S
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

So nice of you to laugh.

Yes, it can happen. I wonder if he was young and just learning his vertical surfaces?

My boy did that at 9 months old when he was only about a month into leg lifting. Worse, he did it at his CGN test site, though thankfully not in the test. Worse again, he did it with my friend the agility judge when I took him over to meet her. She said to me, "Don't worry, there is dog pee all over the ground, it's probably splashed on my shoes and socks so he's confused. Don't worry, he won't be the only dog to pee on me today."

She had shorts on but she said he missed her and hit the ground at her feet. Talk about being mortified. I kept thinking, what if she tells the CGN evaluator, we'll be failed for sure.
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:31 PM

the dog is about 1 year old. The owner says that although he is the sweetest dog they ever had... he is also the dumbest.

They are having a hell of a time training him. Apparently, they have had several dogs in the past and never had training issues.

S
Old May 18th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Nikki, at just over a year, marked my neighbour who works with horses. He figured it was the horsey smell. He also pee'd on the leg of a lady who's two little dogs were harassing him at the park one day. I figure she deserved that one for not taking control of her two little dogs. She's lucky he pee'd on her and didn't just eat her dogs!
Old May 18th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

My theory with the boys is you have to potty train them twice. First on horizontal surfaces - grass yes, carpet no. Then again on vertical surfaces - trees yes, people and furniture legs no. Helps YOU keep your sanity whether it's true or not.
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

The first time Marty saw me at shelter he peed on my leg. I was with my daughter and granddaughter and Marty picked my leg to pee on. I think he was marking me . LOL!
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:05 PM

Billy has been known to pee inappropriately too. More so the older he gets which is surprising to me. Over the years he has peed on a baby stroller with the baby in it as I was speaking with the mom on the sidewalk. He also peed on a neighbours snowman while the children were building it. A couple of weeks ago he peed on a shelf of dog beds at our local pet store Male dogs can be so embarrassing!