Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 9th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Question What to do?

My Brother has a 14 year old cat (Ozzy) that has been around pot and cigarettes for 90% of his life and was over 30 pounds until a few weeks ago. He lost about 15lbs in 3 weeks and just today has not eaten or used the bathroom. I do not want Ozzy to pass away but we are expecting it. All I want to know is, if there is a way to help Ozzy use the bathroom and be at peace on his last few days with us?
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Cancer will cause extremely rapid weight loss.
A very sick and dying cat will often stop eating. If the cat is dying, there is no point making him eat, is there? :sad:
The kindest thing would be to take Ozzy to the vet to be put to sleep humanely - but there could well be an easily treatable reason for this weight loss etc. Why would your family NOT take the poor cat to the vet?

I would be completely irresponsible if I did not strongly urge you to get this cat some medical attention, or at least be humanely euthanised. Since we don't know what is wrong with the cat (14 is old, but not ancient) and don't have a crystal ball, for all we know the poor animal could suffer for weeks until dying a really miserable death.

A week's worth of cigarette & weed money would easily pay for a vet visit.
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:28 PM

We are

We have Made an Vet appointment for Tomorrow after noon but I want to try to let him use the washroom...I have to try to get him from my Brother to bring him in as he thinks the cat is too far gone for the vet to help...I have already taken his younger cat from him but Ozzy would not last a day with out Him. Is there anything that can help the cat tonight to use the washroom?
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Does he seem like he is trying to, but can't?
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Is he completely uninterested in the litter box or does he meow when he tries to go?

The only real way to get the cat to "go" would be the insert a catheter in the event there is a blockage but that must be diagnosed by a vet first! She may be in renal failure which would be serious indeed. Actually, to be frank, if it were my cat, I'd go to the vet ER clinic. There are some things you can do to help your cat void but you need to know what's wrong with him first!! (I would not want to recomend trying something that would cause this kitty unecsseary pain).

Get a diagnosis and fast!
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:25 PM

I know what needs to be done...

I am going to take him to the vet when my Brother is at work and does not know about it. The cat has hard Stool...I need to find out how to soften it up so he can use the washroom...I think he is peeing fine but my Brother won't give me much info...the last time at the Vet, I was told the cat would not last to Feb.
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlegs
the last time at the Vet, I was told the cat would not last to Feb.
Did the vet say why? What condition or diagnosis?

Fats & oils will help with constipation....Petromalt or similar products for hairballs (basically mineral oil in a tasty base so cats will eat it) will help with constipation. So will adding bulk - some really mushy boiled whire rice with cooked hamburger and/or canned fish.

But again...it is difficult to make appropriate suggestions, since we have no clue what is wrong with the cat!
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:38 PM

Do not Know.

My Brother was with me and did not tell me what was wrong but I can assume it was the years in Toronto in a Basement appartment (one small window) with drugs and cigs. I think it is cancer but he will not tell me. I am going to find out for myself tomorrow. I think I will have to have him put down but I will need to get the ok from my Brother before the Vet would allow it.

Thank You for the idea...This is my way to help my Brother too because he does not want to ask for money to take Ozzy to the Vet but he does really want to do something that he believes will help. I just called and told him your info and he just went to the store to get some white rice to give Ozzy. He said he can afford that. He does not know the Vet appointment is made and that I am going to do everything in my power to help Ozzy, no matter if he likes it or not.

Last edited by catlegs; January 9th, 2005 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Left out something.
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

catlegs, you are my hero. Let us know what happens.
Old January 9th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Please post back what you find out at the vet....bless your heart.
Old January 9th, 2005, 09:30 PM

I will.

I am no hero but I have 3 cats...a 15 yr old that my mother now takes care of as she fell in Love with him, a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old...I had my first cat at 3 months old when my Aunt decided to put a 3 month old kitten in the crib with me and he curled up at my feet and would not leave. I have had 2 dogs that where rescued by my Mother as they where to be put down because they out grew the kids in there Families, a tame rabbit that was left outside when the owners went on vacation for 2 weeks in the middle of winter, and a Guinea pig that was killed by a vet mistake . I would never allow an Animal to be hurt or to suffer. I just feel frustrated and helpless because my Brother thinks he knows what is best for his cat.

I am sorry...i just need to vent as my Brother is driving me crazy and thinks he knows best for his Ozzy. Thank You all for listening and helping.
Old January 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

best of luck

at the vet. Ozzy is one lucky cat to have you looking out for him!
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes you are

You are a hero to that cat!
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:37 PM

Unhappy Sorry

Ozzy had to be put to sleep. Just after I logged off last night, my Brother called to ask for a loan of the money to take him too the vet. He had 2 cancer lumps in his stomach. He is going to be cremated tomorrow afternoon.
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Very sad. You did what you could and he was probably in alot of pain. So it's for the best. RIP Ozzy.