Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 27th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Meatloaf Nooooo!!!!

Okay all as you know I have a puppy (4 mts) his name is Meat Loaf. He does so good going to the bathroom when we take him outside. I mean he does not tell us but we take him out about every hour or hour and a half and he will go all most everytime. But the problem is at night. We put the baby gate at the door into the guest room (that is where all the cats things are that way if he needs some time away from the dog he can have it and than the dog does not eat kitty crunchies out of the liter ) so he does not go in there and than we shut both bathroom doors and we have a baby gate up in our room. So he normally sleeps on his bed on the couch with his duckie, blankie, bra and pillow. We take him for a walk right before bed time so he will poop and pee and he always goes. Okay you are thinking okay so what is the problem??? Here it is we have a den downstairs that is in the remolding process (no carpet, walls not painted, etc) in the middle of the night he will pee and poop down there. I guess I am thankful that he poops down there on the concrete than on all my floors but what do I do to stop him. Do I take away his water about 9:00 at night so he does not drink all night. I have a baby moniter on the coffee table beside him so if he barks I can go down there. But he never makes a nose when he gets up. I just can not figure out how to break him of this. Should I not feed him after so later or what. Thank you all for your help. This is my first dog so I am learning. He does not have any health problem he has been to the vet countless times, becuase of the Parvo and the worms and the fleas (man the poor dog has lived at the vet the first three mts. of his life) ! Thank you all for your help.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Princess, I didn't quite catch this from your question. Do you want to wake up for him at night (hence the baby monitor)? Or do you want him to learn to hold it until morning?

If you want to wake up for him, then you should teach him to do something to let you know (some dogs, like mine, don't give very obvious signals ). You can teach him to bark. We taught Phoebe to ring a bell.

If you want him to hold it, then I'd say withhold the food & water for at least 2 hours before bedtime. And maybe restrict his area, so he'll be less likely to eliminate within his own space.

Good luck!

P.S. I had read your bra story in an earlier post and thought it was hilarious!
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I would like him to hold it if at all possible. The baby moniter is there so if he is up and into something I can hear him and come down. Plus I like laying in bed at night and hearing him snore and make all his cute sounds. You do not think it will hurt him not to have water out all night? I have noticed that he has been pooping alot more since he was wormed (and it is full of worms) he goes back tommrow to get his last set of shots and wormer. So maybe that will slow down after he gets rid of all the worms. I would like for him to be able to learn to hold it but if I have to get up than I will. I am afraid if I get him in the habbit of taking him two times in the middle of the night he will never learn to hold it and I will be doing this for ever which if that is what I have to do it is okay and I will. He LOVES his bra, he takes it on walks on car rides and to the park, every wear. He took it to the vet for his shots and played with it while the vet was doing his thing. I have to wash it about every two days he gets it so dirty. HE IS SUCH A MAN!!!

Proud mommy to...
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:07 AM

You dog will not "learn" to get up during the night because you let him out more often. Control of his duties takes time and with some it takes longer than others. I was up at least 2 times/night with mine and never thought anything of it. Their bladders etc. grow with them, therefore they can hold more for longer periods.

You should take the water up a couple hours before bedtime. We always took ours up at 8:00 at night and never had a problem.

Good luck!
Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Hi, We always take Sophies food and water away about 1 1/2 hrs before bed. She sleeps in her crate and never wakes up until about 6:30am. We then get up and take her out. Sometimes she goes back to bed for awhile but sometimes she just wants to stay up. Have you tried putting him in a crate for sleep time? Thats the only time we ever make Sophie stay in her crate is for night, if we are away during the day she has the whole kitchen to play in, and we use puppy pads.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

He hates it, I do not mind him sleeping out in the house. I will start taking his water away about two hours before bed time and see haow that does. He like to sleep in the bed with us which we do not mind but when he is in our room he will go in our floor so he can not sleep up there yet. I normal sit on the couch with him and hold him until he falls asleep and than I lay him down and tuck him in with his blanket and pillow and out his bra right there with him and he stays asleep. I will try taking the water away and than see if not I do not mind waking up and taking him out that is what I did all the time when he was sick that is not big deal. Thank you for the advice and I will let you know how it goes. He is a good dog so I am sure once he gets a little bigger we will have no problem with this no matter what he is my baby and nothing will change that. Oh, now I miss him. I am ready to go home for lunch!

Proud mommy to...
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM

I wouldn't let him have the run of the house at night. If anything, put a doggy bed or blanket down in your room and keep the door closed. Puppies sleep much better when they are near someone.

I wouldn't let him up on the bed quite yet. The pup is still young and has potential to be territorial about the bed. This can even appear at 1-yr of age.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

So you think put him in the room and than get up with him to take him outside? We tried that but he is so pittful he wants in the bed he cries and cries (like mommy you are forgetting something really important-- No, you washed your face and brushed your hair and teeth. MOM you are forgetting ME!!!!! LOL Thank you for all your help. I always like talking to you and learning from all your experience.

Proud mommy to...
Old August 27th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I went home today at lunch and took him on a walk (like normal) and he pooped and went pee and than Justin took him out before he left so hopefully he will be okay till I get home (which is about two hours) he normally holds it until I get home. Like I said he is fine in the day at night is when his problem is but we will figure it out.

Proud mommy to...
Old August 27th, 2004, 02:28 PM

i would cut the water off a couple hours before you go to bed. if hes playing or exercising or anthing like that, he should obviously get water, but if his last couple hours are fairly calm it won't hurt him a bit.
Old August 27th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you I am going to try that tonight and see of that helps and I am going to let him sleep in my room (on the floor) although I will want to put him in the bed like old times but I will not. I think this will prolly work or if not we will give it a try. Thank you again.

Proud mommy to...
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I took Meat Loafs food and water away Sunday night about two hours before bed time and did his walk like normal (he peed and pooped) and than we let him sleep in our floor. I woke up at 3:00 and took him potty (he went) he was like mom I am sleeping why are you waking me up. So he went and than ran right back to our room and went to bed. I woke up this morning and he had not went at all. I was so happy thank you all for all the help.

Proud mommy to...