Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:18 PM

Unhappy Cooper needs some encouragement....so does mommy!!

Hi every one. I need a little help. My pup, Cooper, does not want to go for a walk! No matter who takes him. He will not walk. What should I do to encourage him to go for a walk? I've tried treats, that works VERY little, he'll walk about 5 steps and then when he gets the treat he stops and doesn't want to go any farther. I don't want to keep this treat thing up because it almost seems to me like we're rewarding him for not walking. Its all very frustrating. I want walk time to be fun and something for us both to look forward to, but it is definately anything but right now. If anyone has any suggestions I would gladly listen!!!
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Remembering Lukka

Lukka was like that as a pup as well. I just kept on rewarding her, (don't look at it as a reward for not walking, but rather a reward for walking beside you) I started doing this with her at about 12 weeks of age and it took until she was almost 5 months to have her leash trained so that she would walk right by my side. I used the clicker method.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM

I'm not familiar with the clicker method...but would love to learn more!!
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
border collie mama

i definately reccomend the clicker for anything. As long as your dog is conditioned to the clicker you can instantly reward anything the moment it happens, so, while you dog is walking click and then treat, for the first while if you only get the five steps your going to need to click every step, so he will learn that even one step is good and that he will get a tasty reward for even one step after w hile start trying to get him to do more steps and then starts phasing the clicker out by clicking ever other stepand rewarding, and so on.

it may seems like a lot of work for now, but in the long run it will definately pay off, and you will get to go for the walks you wanted, where your both excited to get out and go for a walk.

i used the cliker to train my dog everything her knows and i think it is the best possible thing i could have done for him. if you want to know anything about clicker training i would be more then willing to offer you any help, you can just pm me with your questions.
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Lucy's Mom

He is still very young isn't he? You need to be consistent! ONE trainer!

1-Let Cooper wear his collar in the house until he feels comfortable with it on, if you haven't already done so. The same person, should be walking him while he learns. Avoid jerking the lead to make him move forward. Remember, he is a "BABY" DOG who plays hard and sleeps soundly. And yes, the Dog may become a 70 pound plus monster! I suggest you take him to puppy classes and then obedience class.

2-Labs love to follow moving objects. In your house or yard, with his collar and lead on, play with a ball or toy. Make it a fun game. Build his confidence.

3-The outside world is all new to a puppy! Imagine looking from his level, look at the trees, birds, kids, dogs, people, cars, etc. On your next walk let Cooper look around when he stops, ignore him and he'll let you know when he's ready to move on! Do not baby him! Stand like you own the world and he'll get your vibes!

4-The 5 minute Rule for walking = 5 minutes per month of age! ---example 5 minutes x 4 months equals 20 minutes