Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 22nd, 2005, 08:53 PM

dog eye stains - dark color under eyes - Answered by Dr. Slome

We have a Golden Retriever and just lately her eyes have begun to run, leaving a dark stainaround her eyes. Should I be concerned about a health problem or is this quite common. Tonight after her bath it looked almost like it was bleeding. Thank you
This is my first time to this site and I am looking forward to joining your discussions.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:20 PM
-

It is not as common with goldens but it is staining caused by the tearing. I would have it checked out because there can be several reasons for it that may need to be treated.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:18 AM

If it's new, I'd see a vet just to be sure it's not serious. If it ends up being just tears, a better diet can help sometimes.
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

This is porphyrin staining – a pigment in tears. Excessive tearing is often the problem underlying the problem. Excessive tearing may also just be relative since tears are drained through a duct that leads to the nose ( the reason your nose runs when you cry).

Excessive tearing can also be due to dryness or irritation to the eyes. If these ducts get plugged or blocked with matter or mucus, there is nowhere to drain the tears and the tears then drain from the inner angle of the eyes. Excessive fluid then causes the staining because of the pigment.

In many cases the problem may be cured by flushing out these ducts or using soothing eye drops to reduce the irritation. You will need to have your veterinarian guide you as to the best possible resolution. Often they can check whether these ducts are open by using a special stain in the eyes called fluorescein. This stain, if seen draining from through the nostrils is an indication that the duct is open.

Good Luck. Hope this helps. This problem is usually more a cosmetic problem but sometimes if there is excessive and persistent moisture at the inner angles of the eyes, it may cause some skin irritation or infection in the skin eyefold beneath the eyes.

Martin Slome DVM
Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street Units 40-42
Thornhill, Ont.
L4J 7Y3
Tel. (905) 771-9855
Fax (905) 771-7260
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Hi

Hi , with 8 dogs, 1 cat and a ferret you might think I'm an animal lover. Your right. I have 2 of my dogs with the same problem. Not sure if it's conjunctivitus or just regular alergies but their eyes have problems with white mucus constantly. Have tried all the allergy meds for human allergy eyes but it only clears it up temperarily. Any suggestion?

Last edited by rlofty; January 16th, 2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old January 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM

This happened to my dog when he was younger, but just in one eye. The vet said the duct was blocked, and he underwent a procedure to flush it to clear the blockage. It was back again about a week later. Shortly before this happened, I had just switched over his food to another brand. The problem stuck around for a month or so, then disappeared a few days after I switched him back to his old food. I'm sure there was an allergy/intolerance that was food related. You may want to look into this.
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

In a poodle grooming book it says that the reddish brown stains are caused by tears which oxidize. I've had 4 white (actually cream) poodles over the last 39 years and never had the problem. I clean the eye-boogers whenever I see them accumulate. Maybe that prevents irritation and tears?
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:29 AM

White mucus? You don't mean regular eye goobers do you?

Like these?
Attached Images

Old January 17th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Just the regular ones - like the small sleepies humans get.
Old January 17th, 2006, 03:19 PM

ooops... I meant in response to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlofty
Not sure if it's conjunctivitus or just regular alergies but their eyes have problems with white mucus constantly
I'm wondering if this person might not just have a very goobery doggy...