Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 24th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Question Can cats catch our flu

You know hubby and I have been sick with what seems to be a rapidly spreading flu,is it possible the cats can catch it too???
Rocky has not been himself,sleeps a lot,even when I take them out he'll sleep on the bench,that's unusual for him.
I am taking Vinnie to the vet Friday for his yearly,will get in trouble because of his weight,I'm sure and I'll ask him about Rocky.
He eats,poops and pees,just seems really tired:sad:
I have to ask my vet if I can give Rocky something to calm him down before the next visit,after the last vet-visit he'll be terrified to go in the carrier.
Could he possibly have caught our bug???
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I was wondering the same thing about the dogs as I've had a brutal cold with sore throat for a couple weeks. The dogs seem fine but I was just wondering if they could catch our bugs like a cold or flu. Sure hope Rocky perks up soon, and that you and your hubby are feeling better too! Good luck with the vet trip.
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Dogdancer,I am actually ok now,but it is a nasty flu..
I'll have to keep an eye on Rocky,he's on my lap right now,maybe I'm just imagining things The others are ok..
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe he's just having sympathy symptoms? Most viruses are species-specific, so it isn't possible to exchange a cold/flu between pets and people. There is a bacterial infection called bartonellosis (aka Cat Scratch Fever), that is transmissible from cats to people, but other than that I don't think you have anything to worry about.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I once asked my vet this very question, he said "No, dogs and cats do not catch the human virus that causes cold and flu". He did mention the cat scratch fever thing too.

I know we've had this horrid cold and flu crap going thru our house too, the animals seem to react to the fact that we are sick, they sleep a lot and seem to need to cuddle up even more. I think they are sympathizing with us cuz they love us so much...just my opinion.
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's!
LMPG,it does seem like they feel sorry for usalthough all 3 are normally very loving,they seem extra so right now.
I am ok now,hubby is still struggling a bit,but I think that's more a "man"thing,he seems ok to me
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad you're feeling better Chico. I was also going to tell you, cat's and people don't transfer illnesses like that. I know because I once wanted to use the excuse that I got a stomach flu from one of the gang and checked online about it. LOL, unfortunately, I couldn't use the excuse.

My vet prescribed some Xanax for Vlad to take before he comes in. I think 5mg is the dosage for him, I can't remember off the top of my head. But anyway, it's just regular people Xanax, so maybe you can ask your vet. The last time I took Vlad in, I gave him some and while he was still surley, the vet was at least able to handle him and they didn't need the "cat" gloves.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:43 AM

No, the virus that affects humans doesn't affect cats as its hosts are human body cells. Cats have their own 'flu virus, which isn't harmful to us. So if you have the 'flu, you cats won't get it, and if they have the 'flu, you won't get it.