Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old August 8th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Unhappy 4 month kitten with a heart murmur

I was told my 4 month old Sphynx kitten was diagnosed with a level/grade 3 heart murmur. The vet suggested an ultrasound with a cardiologist, which I have scheduled. From others I've spoken to online and also from what I've read, heart murmurs can go away -- the kitten grows out of it. But my vet felt a level 3 murmur on a 4 month old kitten didn't seem like it was going to be grown out of. Obviously I'll do whatever for my kitten's health, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I don't want to postpone an important test, but the test isn't cheap -- at least $400 -- so I don't want to overreact either. Advice??
Thanks.
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I have no experience with this, but wanted to wish you the best of luck with your kitty. I'd do the test if at all possible, because if nothing else it will give you some baseline info on the state of the murmur.
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM

cat

My cat also went to the cardiologest and had a ultra sound 6 years ago. He was diagnosed with Systolic anterior motion SAM of the mitral valva. Then a year later on the ultra sound it showed that he also was getting hypertrophied HCM which is not good. So at that time the dr. put him on a beta blocker of Atenolol. Which I buy at my regular pharmacy.
The Dr. doesn't know how long he will live but the Atenolol does help it to slow down. And he does go for a ultra sound each year.
He is such a sweet cat that I love him so much that the money doesn't matter. His sister doesn't have SAM or the HCM. But he is long hair and his sister is short hair so they don't have the same Dad.
Hope this helps.
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Thanks, Dog Dancer. She is scheduled and I'm going forward with the test. I'll let you guys know what happens. Please send kitty good thoughts.
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM

Thanks, Sue. I've read a lot of inspiring stories online so I haven't given up hope. It's a wait and see sort of thing. I'll keep you posted.
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Mickey, my angel

Glad to hear you will be going ahead with the ultrasound.

Heart murmurs are graded 1 to 6 based on the loudness of the sound with grade 1 being very faint and grade 6 being very loud. Although in general the higher the grade the more serious the disease is likely to be, this is not always the case.

The ultrasound is the only way to diagnose the type of cardiac disease, the prognosis, and the best course of treatment.

Sending for you and your kitty.

Will be watching for an update.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Critter Lover

My Mischka is a HCM kitty too. Diagnosed 6 years ago by ultrasound. She has been on Atenolol too and doing splendid. Sending hugs prayers and purrs
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Every cat is different. But, 17 years ago my little month old was diagnosed with a level 4 heart murmur...each cat is different and I am not saying that all cats with this type of diagnosis lives a very long life, but mine did and so don;t panic yet and don't get discouraged..
Old August 27th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Well everyone Miu does in fact have HCM. I am just a mess. She is taking Atenolol and one other medication -- the name escapes me at the moment. Basically the vet isn't very optimistic given Miu's age and the severity of the illness. Don't know what else to say right now. Thanks for the kind words though.
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry to hear this news, Miu2011 Wishing all the best for you and your kitty!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miu2011 View Post
Well everyone Miu does in fact have HCM. I am just a mess. She is taking Atenolol and one other medication -- the name escapes me at the moment. Basically the vet isn't very optimistic given Miu's age and the severity of the illness. Don't know what else to say right now. Thanks for the kind words though.
You might want to check out the Feline-Heart support group on Yahoo groups. A lot of experienced caregivers there that are going through exactly what you are. My own cat has HCM as diagnosed by echocardiogram, and he also takes Atenolol. He's had it for years and is doing great at 18+. So even though heart issues can be serious, it doesn't absolutely mean a shortened lifespan.

All the best to you and Miu.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Oh, that is so sad and as others have said, don't give up hope. Last month my 4 month old Cinder was diagnosed with a heart murmur too - the vet didn't give it a stage number but said it was not very pronounced and that it's common in kittens and she will likely grow out of it. My husband even had one as a kid and grew out of it completely. Your kitty is in our thoughts and good intentions are being sent out as I write this and read this thread.

I wish you and yours the very best!
Michelle
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle307 View Post
Oh, that is so sad and as others have said, don't give up hope. Last month my 4 month old Cinder was diagnosed with a heart murmur too - the vet didn't give it a stage number but said it was not very pronounced and that it's common in kittens and she will likely grow out of it. My husband even had one as a kid and grew out of it completely. Your kitty is in our thoughts and good intentions are being sent out as I write this and read this thread.

I wish you and yours the very best!
Michelle
That is a very encouraging thought
It's also good to know about this.