Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old April 15th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Question Rookie Husky Owner looking for tips for getting my dog to listen when off-leash

Hi all, I have a 5 year old husky cross who is a very good dog, for the most part. I've had dogs growing up, but never a husky. Am I learning lots! I got him for Christmas, as a rescue dog.

I like to let him off-leash to run, but he is in heaven off-leash and doesn't listen near as well as he does any other time. In reading posts, it sounds like I'm not alone.

Aer they any stories out there where owners have gotten huskies to listen, when off-leash? Any tips?

I'm thinking of finding a cost-effective GPS system to put on the dog, so that when he gets away from my wife, I can direct her, if he runs away.

Thanks!

Chad
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Flyball Mom

I had a husky for 15 years and never solved that problem, but then I was very new to dog ownership at that time.

I'll give you a method my trainer gave me that worked on my present dog. Take him to the dog park (or anywhere safe, even start in your own yard to get the point across faster), fill one pocket with treats (whatever you use for normal everyday training) and the other with an uber treat (something he doesn't normally get, chicken weiners work well). When he comes to you on his own, even if it's just to come up and sniff you, give him the regular treat. If you call him and he comes, give him the uber treat. It worked incredibly well for my dog, but she's not of a breed that's known for running away either.

Putting him on a retractible leash will help to ensure sucess.

Good luck.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me

Last edited by Byrd; April 15th, 2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:41 AM
-

Welcome to the forum and thank you for rescuing. I have a Siberian Husky (my third) and he is better on recall than my last two were. It's the treat thing that works for him but it also worked for my other two at first.

He was also taken to obedience school and my other two weren't so I would suggest you start there as well. I would also take him to a dog park at first so he can't get loose until you're confident he'll return.

Good luck and please post pics.
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Welcome!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~