Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old January 31st, 2011, 09:46 AM

This is horrifying

Did they even try to find a rescue for these poor dogs?

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...ess-slows?bn=1

The Canadian Press
WHISTLER, B.C.—An official of the SPCA in British Columbia says word of a slaughter of sled dogs in Whistler warrants a criminal investigation.

Marcie Moriarty, general manager of the group’s cruelty investigations, says the description of the April 2010 incident is an “absolutely criminal code offence,” although there is no indication a police investigation is underway.

Documents obtained by CKNW radio reveal about 100 healthy sled dogs were killed in a mass slaughter in Whistler last April 21 and 23.

According to the WorkSafe B.C. documents, an employee of Outdoor Adventures Whistler has been compensated for post-traumatic stress disorder after being ordered to shoot the animals.

The documents reveal bookings for dog sled tours collapsed after the Olympics and when the company could not find homes for its animals, it ordered the cull.

Outdoor Adventures Whistler did not contest the details in the WorkSafe documents except to indicate that the injured worker claimed to have killed 70 dogs, but 100 were actually destroyed.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:56 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

From my understanding that is normal practice with sled dogs. It's disgusting and, I agree, horrifying.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

OMG... this made me physicall ill

This is absolutely horrible. WTH is wrong with people. These people should not only be brought up on charges and fines through the nose, but should NEVER be allowed to operate a business again

And the fact that the person who actually, physically commited this crime is now getting compensation, well... he should be getting something, but compensation is not a word that comes to mind. However, it does start with a C

http://www.metronews.ca/Edmonton/Can...n-whistler-b-c

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/sl...557/story.html

I'm sure the original story was posted, but at least there's an update now saying there may be criminal charges underway

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012

Last edited by Rgeurts; January 31st, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw this on the news today and it made me ill. He is still carrying on business today. The man should certainly go to jail for a long time and never be able to operate a business involving animals again. Scum of the earth!
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:37 PM

The details of how it was done are even more horrifying than the mere fact that it was done:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/sle...610/story.html

The SPCA is launching an investigation following a report that a dogsled tour company in Whistler, B.C., ordered the killing of 100 dogs when bookings slumped after the Olympic Games in Vancouver.

Vancouver radio station CKNW reported that documents it obtained from WorkSafeBC, the agency that monitors compliance with the occupational health and safety regulation in the province, show an employee of Outdoor Adventures Whistler was granted compensation after developing post-traumatic stress disorder for allegedly being forced to kill the dogs.

The radio station reports the dogs were either shot or had their throats slashed before being buried in a mass grave.

"It wasn't always a clean, one-shot kill," lawyer Cory Steinberg, who is representing the employee, told CKNW. "Inevitably, he ended up seeing and having to put the end to some horrific scenes."

Outdoor Adventures Whistler has not contested the WorkSafe injury claim, according to CKNW, which has not been able to elicit a comment on the case from the company.

The man who shot 100 sled dogs and filed a Workers Compensation claim stating he suffered post traumatic stress is not getting much sympathy from the head of the BC SPCA cruelty investigations division.

Marcie Moriarty said the man, who was the general manager at the time with Outdoor Adventures in Whistler, could have simply said no.

"I've no doubt he has suffered post traumatic stress but there's a thing called choice. I absolutely would not have done this and he could have said no. This is a criminal code offence and to have just stopped."

But Moriarty said the man chose to shoot and kill the dogs over two days on April 21 and April 23 inhumanely.

"The way he describes multiple shots and faces blown off and coming back on a second day is gruesome. I've never read anything quite like it. The way this employee describes it - it's a massacre absolutely - a criminal code offence. These dogs were killed in front of the other dogs that were all tethered up on the compound (at Outdoor Adventures)."

Moriarty said the SPCA began investigating the culling of the sled dogs this weekend after CKNW provided her with a heavily censored report from the Workers Compensation Board.

WCB spokesperson Donna Freeman said she can not confirm a claim has been filed by any party because if there was a report filed it would be "considered private because they're medical files."

She said her understanding of the situation is CKNW got a report off a law firm's website and that report was made to the first level at WCB which is the review decision.

Lawyer Cory Steinberg is reportedly representing the man, who has not been named.

Moriarty said from what she's read so far in the report "many people will be shocked" not only about the culling but how sled dogs are treated in general.

"There is a problem with the sled dog industry in general. People see these 20 sled dogs, an idyllic setting with snow in the background and think how great. But what they don't see is the 200 dogs tethered and sleeping out back, chained to a barrel."
She said from reading the report it appears the request was made to kill the dogs because of a downturn in the business after the Olympics on the compound of Outdoor Adventures.

"What do they do when they don't have the money to feed them all? When the dogs aren't needed. The order to simply put them down is not acceptable."

Reading from the WCB report, Moriarty said there was a dog named Susie who had the left side of her cheek blown off and her eyeball hanging out of its socket when the man accidently dropped the leash and she was able to run off. He had to chase her down and shoot her using a scope on the firearm.

Quoting from the report Moriarty read "The first significant incident occurred when he noticed a female, Nora, who he had shot approximately 20 minutes before, was crawling around in the mass grave he had dug for the animals. He had to climb down into the grave amidst the 10 or so bodies already there and put her out of her misery....He also had to perform what he describes as execution style killings where he wrestled the dogs to the ground and stood on them with one foot to shoot them."

She said the last killings were "multiple shot killings as he was simply unable to get a clean shot" to the tethered dogs.

Again reading from the report, Moriarty said "He described a guttural sound he had never heard before from the dogs and fear in their eyes."

Moriarty said while RCMP have been contacted about the culling of the sled dogs the BC SPCA are the lead investigators and will be executing warrants to obtain further information.

She said they also plan to uncover the mass grave to examine the dogs' remains but can't do that immediately because the ground is frozen under several feet of snow.

And while this story is tragic, Moriarty added she is glad the public can finally learn more about the dog sledding industry.

"I'm glad a light is finally being shed on this industry. I just shudder whenever I see the ads for sled dog tours because I know how the majority of dogs are living. There are a few good operations but on a smaller scale," she said.

In a statement, Outdoor Adventures spokesman Graham Aldcroft said there are now no firearms on site and any time a sled dog will be euthanized in the future it will be done in a vet's office.

"While we were aware of the relocation and euthanization of dogs at "Howling Dog Tours" we were completely unaware of the details of the incident until reading the WCB document Sunday," he stated in the release.

Outdoor Adventures had a financial stake in 'Howling Dogs' with the operational control of the company in the hands of the worker referred to in the WCB ruling, according to CKNW.

Outdoor Adventures is owned by 29-year-old Joey Houssian, whom Pique Magazine identifies as the son of Intrawest scion Joe Houssian.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/sle...#ixzz1Cdx2ccyz
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:47 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

All I can say is that I hope the guy that did the killing lives a long and agony filled life as he sure a h*** does not deserve to live a short and heavily medicated one.
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I had posted the same thing in another thread. Apparently they are looking at criminal charges now. The man suffering from post-related stress disorder and now collecting a paycheck for it gets NO sympathy from me. He had the choice to walk away, but he didn't. He describes blowing half a dogs head off with a shotgun while it was trying to run away, and nother crawling out of the mass grave. He describes slitting the throats of some. This man is just as much a monster (if not more so) than those who ordered them to be killed. He should not be collecting anything as far as compensation.

This company is still operating. If you want to show your outrage, email the mayor. I know I will be doing that. I will not even entertain the thought of vacationing somewhere that would allow this to happen, then allow the company to remain in operation.

mayorsoffice@whistler.ca

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

The man suffering from post-related stress disorder and now collecting a paycheck for it gets NO sympathy from me. He had the choice to walk away, but he didn't. He describes blowing half a dogs head off with a shotgun while it was trying to run away, and another crawling out of the mass grave. He describes slitting the throats of some. This man is just as much a monster (if not more so) than those who ordered them to be killed. He should not be collecting anything as far as compensation.

This company is still operating. If you want to show your outrage, email the mayor. I know I will be doing that. I will not even entertain the thought of vacationing somewhere that would allow this to happen, then allow the company to remain in operation.

mayorsoffice@whistler.ca

Old January 31st, 2011, 03:09 PM

100 sled dogs slaughtered

http://www.theprovince.com/news/sled...145/story.htmlFrom the Province
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

This is disgusting, and to hear it's a "normal" practice is even more disgusting. I cannot believe this is allowed. tourism, there has to be some justice for those dogs!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep...I heard about this. It really makes you wonder doesn't it? Many could have been saved if they ever even bothered reaching out to the public. It was done once and it could have been done again. Hate to say this...however if the HSUS heard about what they were planning...this would NOT have happened.
I am so sick about this I can hardly comment really.

RIP dear ones. Now you run on your own terms.

PS - where was the sled dog association? They profess that they monitor - what the heck happened? Why did they not pool in together.

For those that know my involvement with the over 100 huskies, then everyone knows that where there is a will there is a way.
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I posted my thoughts and comments in a similar thread posted. I am shocked..truly shocked.
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:04 PM

One of the articles I read had some other mushers interviewed who were appalled at this and wanted to make it clear that was not normal practice for the industry. Apparently the man who killed the dogs did try to rehome them first and did find homes for a few, but let's face it finding new homes for 300 dogs?? I really don't feel sorry for him either and the fact he's now collecting disability for this is further insult. No one put a gun to his head and told him to kill these dogs. I would love to know if he had attempted to contact rescue orgs or the SPCA regarding rehoming the dogs. For all we know his attempt at rehoming may have been a couple ads in the local paper for free huskies.

Sounds like some one tried to make a quick buck off the Olympics and when the biz went down hill the dogs paid the ultimate price for it.
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:17 AM

I watched tonight's news on CTV and learned a little more. It was reported the sled dog handler who claimed ,"more or less", acting on the employer's order to cull the herd when business ran dry after the Winter Olympic. He is applying for WCB benefit b/c of the post traumatic stress. Isn't this guy brave? The only problem is the way he carried out the cull could lead to criminal charge. I don't want to repeat the graphic detail here. It may offend some of you and sadden me as well. And his employer claimed he was a sub-contractor acted on his own.
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:06 AM

There are some sick people out there! And that he is being compensated for it is just shameful!

Danae de Italica Terrae (Cane Corso) ~ 2 years
U2 de Italica Terrae (Cane Corso) ~ 4 years
Black Shadow's Sequoia ~ 16 mths
Black Shadow's Rowan ~ 16 mths
VonBrenden's Golden Cyrus (Rottweiler) ~ 8 years
Raine (Domestic Shorthair) ~ 11 years
Hi-Jinx (Domestic Shorthair) ~ 5 years

http://www.blackshadowcanecorso.com/

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:54 AM

I saw this yesterday and couldn't believe it. Like Rgeurts, what a monster! Not only the one who carried out the act, but even those who made the order to do so. So sad and I hope these people are made an example of.
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

NOTE FROM ADMIN:

There were 3 threads on this same topic so those threads were merged into this one.

Thx - Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:49 AM

So yesterday the reports said 300 dogs, today it's 70. Can any one confirm which is correct?

Also, I have heard that the the owner of the dog sledding company is the son of the owner of Intrawest! a ski resorts operator.
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
owned by Tucker

I read about this today firstly my heart goes out to the poor dogs, how they must have suffered. As for the person who did it could he have not said no and contacted someone to stop this and to receive WSIB I just don't get it, suffer you Bas---- puppies
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:15 PM

Close to 70 dogs is the latest, absolutely awful.
What baffles me is that this matter only came to light after a WCB report was filed. How do you shoot and dispose of 70 huskies at Whistler, without anyone noticing???
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
The man suffering from post-related stress disorder and now collecting a paycheck for it gets NO sympathy from me. He had the choice to walk away, but he didn't. He describes blowing half a dogs head off with a shotgun while it was trying to run away, and another crawling out of the mass grave. He describes slitting the throats of some. This man is just as much a monster (if not more so) than those who ordered them to be killed. He should not be collecting anything as far as compensation.
Could not agree more Rgeurts! I could not believe all the hype in the media about this poor man having to endure such terrible post-related stress... are you ----ing kidding me?!?! He commited this horrific act, and now he's the victim? Sickening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Yep...I heard about this. It really makes you wonder doesn't it? Many could have been saved if they ever even bothered reaching out to the public. It was done once and it could have been done again. Hate to say this...however if the HSUS heard about what they were planning...this would NOT have happened.
I am so sick about this I can hardly comment really.

RIP dear ones. Now you run on your own terms.

PS - where was the sled dog association? They profess that they monitor - what the heck happened? Why did they not pool in together.

For those that know my involvement with the over 100 huskies, then everyone knows that where there is a will there is a way.
This was exactly my thoughts too BenMax! Is that soo many of these animals (if not all) could have found homes, this should not have happened!

RIP poor babies. I did hear that the BCSPCA is going to be digging up the mass grave in the spring and having a proper burial.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
So yesterday the reports said 300 dogs, today it's 70. Can any one confirm which is correct?

Also, I have heard that the the owner of the dog sledding company is the son of the owner of Intrawest! a ski resorts operator.
The report on Global Calgary said it was 100...I don't care if it was only one, this shouldn't happen to any dog..period!
The guy that carried it out, well ....sorry but hope he burns in hell for eternity, right along with those that "owned" the dogs.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:29 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...gulations.html

Update. I am thoroughly disgusted and cannot even begin to say what I feel about this massacre and what should be done to all involved.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hmmmmm, Geesh, if the SPCA won't help somebody in need, then who will . Guess that's why he thought he had to take care of it himself

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/SPC...781/story.html

SPCA twice rebuffed man who culled dogs

Without foreseeing slaughter, agency told him they wouldn't make good pets

BY KIM PEMBERTON, POSTMEDIA NEWS FEBRUARY 2, 2011

The 38yearold employee of Outdoor Adventures who killed 100 sled dogs in Whistler approached the B.C. SPCA on two occasions asking for its help in finding adoptive homes for some of the company's dogs, the Vancouver Sun has learned.

Both times he was rebuffed.

Officials at the animal protection agency said they didn't realize the dogs would be brutally slaughtered.

But they said they told the man the dogs would not make good pets and were not adoptable.

Senior animal protection officer Eileen Drever confirmed she was contacted last spring by the man, but couldn't recall if it was in April or May. The cull happened on April 21 and April 23, 2010.

She said she learned of the cull last Friday when a WorkSafe B.C. report providing details of the "execution-style" killings of the sled dogs became public.

The report said they were destroyed for economic reasons.

"What happened last spring is he [the employee who did the cull] contacted me and complained about some of the conditions of the dogs and I was supposed to go up there and check.

"I spoke to the owner Joey Houssian and he provided me with a copy of the veterinarian's report."

She said she was satisfied with that report and did not feel it was necessary to go to Whistler and do an on-site inspection herself.

"He [the employee] didn't advise me he was going to kill any dogs. He was looking to find homes. I spoke to an animal behaviourist who is also a vet and she spoke with an expert in the [United] States who said they [the sled dogs] weren't adoptable," Drever said.

Asked if she told the man the SPCA would not help place the dogs last spring, she answered, "I believe so."

The Sun is withholding the man's identity because of his apparent fragile mental state, after it was disclosed publicly this week that he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder arising from the mass cull -believed to be Canada's largest cull of dogs.

The second time the man approached the SPCA was through an email dated Sept. 10, 2010 -nearly five months after the cull -asking if the SPCA would take some of the remaining dogs in the pack, which before the cull numbered about 350.

Drever replied that she would do an inspection that fall, but never did.

She did accompany two other SPCA animal cruelty investigators Tuesday to look into the deaths of the 100 sled dogs in April.

She said it was not necessary to take the remaining 150 dogs into protection.

B.C. SPCA head of animal cruelty Marcie Moriarty said the SPCA would have acted had it known the dogs were going to be slaughtered.

Meanwhile, Whistler RCMP said Tuesday they are investigating "very serious" threats connected to widespread outrage over the cull, which became public on Monday.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/SPCA+tw...#ixzz1CqEh4T8y

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

REally??? I beg to differ as I was able to place approximately 70 huskies (not including the puppies) that were not only sledders, but breeders and lived in horrible conditions outside. The rest went to the states. Those I have no idea what happened, but for the ones in Canada - the rescues pitched in and helped out. I had little help from the Husky Association however. I did get many inquiries from sledders. Some were great people...others were . Regardless, all dogs went to rescue.

This saddens me that so many died horrifically. That is the thanks they got from humans. To serve and entertain, only to be denied shelter and refuge. Disgusting.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

As horrific as this is,it's not really anything new,these beautiful dogs were only a business to the owner,business and $$$$ dry up,the dogs get killed,in any way the owner sees fit.
We have absolutely nothing to regulate the owners or protect these poor dogs from harm.
This too will evaporate in the air,no punishment for cruelty,no jailtime or anything,after all they were only dogs
I was not able to read how this horror was done,just reading part of it made me sick....but horrific deeds done to animals go unpunished all the time,as sickening and frustrating as it is.
These beautiful Huskies will be forgotten too,just like all other animals,suffering at the hands of humans.
beautiful,beautiful pups,I am so sorry..
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM

This sickens me to no end... especially now knowing that he approached the SPCA twice and received no help. I believe these dogs could have found homes.

I'm wondering why this is just being brought up in the media now when it happened almost a year ago? Does anyone know?

What really irks me the most is how the media, SPCA, etc. uses the word CULL to make it sound less horrifying. Why don't they call it was it was... KILL. The word CULL does NOT always mean KILL but in this case it does, call it what it was...

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

oh gosh, I didn't realize it happened last april....... and they are going to dig up the dogs.......
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:36 AM
Senior Contributor

BC is launching a task force investigating this.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...e.html?ref=rss
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 4th, 2011, 03:20 PM
-

First of all, I haven't read all the posts here as this story still upsets me so much. I've listened to it all on tv though, although I have to turn away so I don't see the pictures.

I think there is alot more to this story than we are hearing and I hope that the task force investigation helps.

As you know, Outdoor Adventures is owned by Joey Houssian and he also has a financial interest in Howling Dogs which ran the dogsledding operation. Joey Houssian's father is Joe Houssian who is the CEO of Intrawest. Intrawest used to own Whistler but sold out to Fortress Investment Group. Intrawest had it's head office in Vancouver for 34 years but just before this story broke they announced that they are moving to Denver, Colorado. I wonder if Joey will be moving as well.

I hope Bob Fawcett and Joey Houssian are both charged but I have a feeling that money will play a part in the outcome.