Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Closed Thread

Old January 25th, 2011, 01:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I have yet to meet one breeder however that will take on a rescue. I am sure they are out there, but unfortunately I have not come across one..and I have made a few calls in my day.
All four of our rescues came through a breeder who also rescues

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
All four of our rescues came through a breeder who also rescues
That is wonderful to know Hazel. Kinda renews my faith. But as I stated, LP knows of breeders that do the same as yours...so my argument leads me to believe that I chose the wrong ones to call.
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:36 PM
owned by Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I really don't believe ethical/responsible breeders, nor show/working dogs are part of the problem (although I do agree it would be great if all were part of the solution). Maybe we don't see that very often here in Quebec because there are so few of them . The few breeders, or ppl who show their dogs that I do know, also either help, or run, rescues as well. I don't see them breeding their dogs left and right nor do I see them letting their dogs run free. They have too much invested in them, both financially and emotionally.
I agree with you 100% on this one, my inlaws live in eastern Quebec and I don't know too many of them that have their pets neutered or spayed down there. I would hate to tell you how many people I have heard say oh I have a litter of so and so I'm selling sometimes mutts sometimes pure bred's but either way they are adding to the pet over population. I can't ever see stopping this in rural areas even here in Ontario or anywhere else and most of them don't charge much for the dogs they are selling they just ended up with a litter and want to get rid of them. Guess its better than the other thing I have heard of being done to unwanted litters DROWNING. Education is the only way we can even try to control this and maybe like free clinics that spay and neuter as a lot of these people just can't afford it... We can say all we want they shouldn't own pets if they can't afford it but lets face it they do and some are just ignorant of the amount of unwanted pets out there and some just don't care
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:

If you want to improve the breed, you breed from champions. If the champions are neutered, they can't breed. Then you have rely on less fit individuals to propagate your breed.

Improve the breed how? Make their legs shorter so they have spine issues, their faced more pushed in so they have sinus issues? Their fur longer so they can dry off quickly after retrieving the bird???? Does a show dog actually show the judges how well it works on the farm? or accompany on a hunt? Does a farmer really need a purebred to get the job done, or can a mutt do just as well or better given the right training?

This whole idea that show dogs are somehow better than the average just really gets me wound up.

I really think that the amount of "show dogs" that will show up on the SPCA's doorstep are far and few between and won't really be an issue.

However, if you are going to exempt "show dogs" do you exempt all pure breds? Could all purebreds potentially be show dogs? What if the pup ends up at the SPCA before it has a chance to enter shows and win some ribbons? How would the SPCA handle that can of worms, cause you know there is going to be fibbers out there?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM
owned by Tucker

I was looking on kijjiji at dogs for sale what makes me laugh is some of he excuses that people use to give away their pets, oh after 7 years we don't have time for this dog so what the heck has the dog been doing for the last 7 years twiddling his paws...or 7 months dog we don't have time for it so why did you buy it did you think it was gonna just sit in the corner for the rest of its life..Its not just the breeders its the owners to come on people if you are going to buy a dog its gonna be for the life of the dog, not till you get sick of it. I can understand that say an older person with a dog gets sick and goes into a nursing home or if some drastic life change has made you have to get rid of your dog but maybe people should really think it through when they get a dog its like having a two year old for the rest of IT"S life...crap my pets are even in my will they must be taken care of and not put in a shelter or given away..
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Improve the breed how? Make their legs shorter so they have spine issues, their faced more pushed in so they have sinus issues? Their fur longer so they can dry off quickly after retrieving the bird???? Does a show dog actually show the judges how well it works on the farm? or accompany on a hunt? Does a farmer really need a purebred to get the job done, or can a mutt do just as well or better given the right training?
Some choices have been bad choices--and for that reason, I'm not in love with bench dogs. But by and large, ethical breeders are breeding with an eye to improving the breed, yes.

Hunting trials do measure how the dog accompanies on a hunt. And certain breeds are much better at certain tasks than others. A farmer might find a mixed breed that can herd his sheep as well as a border collie--but how can he make an educated guess as to a dog's skill if it hasnt' been tested or comes from tested lines? The same for hunting--some mixed breeds also have the pointing instinct--but if you're looking for a pointer, you go to a breed that has that point as a strong instinct.

You can polish an instinct that a dog already has. You can't train an instinct into a dog that doesn't have it.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Ohh great point L4H!
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Some choices have been bad choices--and for that reason, I'm not in love with bench dogs. But by and large, ethical breeders are breeding with an eye to improving the breed, yes.

Hunting trials do measure how the dog accompanies on a hunt. And certain breeds are much better at certain tasks than others. A farmer might find a mixed breed that can herd his sheep as well as a border collie--but how can he make an educated guess as to a dog's skill if it hasnt' been tested or comes from tested lines? The same for hunting--some mixed breeds also have the pointing instinct--but if you're looking for a pointer, you go to a breed that has that point as a strong instinct.

You can polish an instinct that a dog already has. You can't train an instinct into a dog that doesn't have it.
And this is why we have BSL, because people think dogs of the same breed have the same characteristics . But this is off topic.

My point being that if Montreal wants to make it a law that all dogs (excluding for medical reasons because a dog's life who is at higher risk of death due to anesthesia should not be risked just to spay/neuter) will be spay neutered before being returned to the owners, you can't exclude show dogs, they are no better, less loved, than a mutt. Plus, where do you draw the line at "show dog", that would be a legal nightmare.

There are too many dogs, not enough places or funds to house them all, something has to be done while people are being educated and this is a start.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Okay, so let's say, for argument's sake, that all the breeders are harming their breeds and you prohibit them from breeding. (I'll just go and cry into my beautiful English setters' fur and tell them they're a dying breed now. Better cry into your Himalayans' fur, for the same reason, L4H. Love rotties, BenMax? We can make it a cry fest )

Okay, breeding is done. What has that done for the problem?

Nothing. The shelters are still full of dogs on death row because the populace still hasn't been educated as to puppy mills, and even if they were, they have no choice if they want a purebred because you've just shut down all the breeders...

And I'm now without my English setters, to boot.

Maybe you can live with that, but I'm not nearly 'PETA' enough to want to try.

Old January 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ooops...sorry, L4H, guess we were composing at the same time...

And your points are valid. The only thing that bothers me about the practice is that it can be hard to tell if a stray is skinny because it's been starving on the street or has something like IBD that keeps it skinny and unhealthy enough to not be a candidate for surgery. Our Evan was always at least 20 pounds underweight because of his IBD and one of our biggest nightmares was that someone would turn us in for starving him and before we could get paperwork to prove otherwise, he'd be confiscated, thrown in the shelter and die from being fed the wrong foods or being put under to be neutered.

Old January 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Don't get me started on what breeders have done to Himalayans. Just makes me furious . I will take a poorly bred one, than one bred to today's standards. They are subjecting them to a life of chronic sinus infections again .

I don't think all breeding should be stopped for all time, that just doesn't make logical sense. In 10 years there would be no dogs/cats left . I especially don't think quality breeders should stop breeding, but just for a couple of years until the cat/dog population has subsided to a point that there is a manageable amount of cats and dogs. I also think there needs to be mutts. Not everybody can afford a $2K kitty or puppy and I think they deserve to have a pet too. They offer unconditional love to the poor as well as the rich.

If the SPCA feels that the only way to help manage the population (and I am sure it will stop a lot of male dogs from running off to find that female in heat) is to spay/neuter those who come into their possession, then they will make it law. The problem (as with any law), where do you draw the line? Who gets spayed/neutered and who doesn't?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 25th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
This whole idea that show dogs are somehow better than the average just really gets me wound up.
I've read through this entire thread - I don't see anyone implying that show dogs are any 'better' in any sense of the word.

Quote:
I also think there needs to be mutts. Not everybody can afford a $2K kitty or puppy and I think they deserve to have a pet too. They offer unconditional love to the poor as well as the rich.
You do realize that by indicating there 'needs to be mutts' that you are fully supporting the 'oops' litters, the 'I want my children to witness the miracle of birth' litters, and other BYBs in general? I'm not sure you can have it both ways?

As for paying $2K for a kitty/puppy - I would do it again in heartbeat. Knowing my dog has the best chance health-wise due to proper health testing as well as longevity in the lines (given it's a Great Dane) - why wouldn't I want to pay that amount? I wish more people would look at the bigger picture instead of the dollar amount. This is why BYB are so successful because people only ever consider the dollar amount and refuse to think about the whole picture

Keep in mind - I am all about rescue as well, and I really think rescue and responsible/ethical breeding can go hand in hand, but when we start passing judgements that are either black or white - it's a slippery slope.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
As there are in Canada - breed specific rescues that is...for just about every breed you can think of. But why does not those that love the breed, that are REPUTABLE, ETHICAL breeders not participating in helping the breed that they so love that are sitting in pounds and shelters? Why can they not contribute to helping these dogs? I have tried here, and they will not even entertain the thought. My thoughts on this..they are snobs...S-N-O-B-S and contrary to what I would think they would be...compassionate AND passionate about their beloved breed.

I also have a problem with your statement ' Puppy Sales person'. It sounds so ugly. Sorry for my ignorance.
So many interesting posts and I'm only on page 2. BenMax, Puppy Sales person is the term used because breeders here notify her of any pups they have for sale so that when buyers contact the Sheltie Club she can tell them if there is anyone in their vicinity they could contact. Nothing ugly or sinister, she's a lovely caring person who has been doing that job, with the blessing of all the breeders, for a long time now. Once when I refused a sale because the people didn't have fences(and a bad attitude) I rang and her hubby said she would have refused that home too.
When you say breed people should contribute I assume you mean in all ways, fostering, adopting and financially. I don't know about that. Showing dogs is very expensive, the breeder/exhibitor usually takes excellent care of their own dogs and is there when dogs they breed and have sold need looking after, I just wonder why they should be made responsible for the sins of others, for all dogs? They should be the saviour so that all the people who puppy farm or are totally irresponsible owners can sleep at night? The over population is not of their doing. They're not all heartless really, I know of a Chihuahua breeder who had a houseful of little angels that needed a home, so she gave them one. Easy to do with a small breed, not so easy with the large or aggressive breeds. I would not bring an adult cattle dog in here for instance, not while my current pair are still with me.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I'm sorry but those two statements kind of make a conundrum of each other, don't they? If the demand is so high then why is a rescue necessary? I would also think if that were the case then breeders should have a long waiting list. If I recall quite some time back you made a statement in another thread that went sort of like "Wouldn't it be nice to have waiting lists for all your litters?" I don't think Australia is any different than Canada. There's tons of issues there as well.
14+, one figure my sister gave me, forget which year, was that there were 300 enquiries for puppies(to the Puppy Sales person) and only 70 pups born. A rescue service is necessary because we do have a dealer or two , maybe even the odd breeder, who doesn't give a damn what sort of home these beautiful little dogs end up in. I rescued one myself from a family that were letting the dog roam the streets(a sheltie! ) and it kept ending up in the Pound. I got them to sign the dog over to me, I contacted its breeder and a couple of days later she did the 400 mile round trip to retrieve him, very glad he was safe and sound. He was a full brother to THE top show dog of the time, but because he was tall, he was a pet , and they made sure he got a much better home. You can't know, unfortunately, whether people will do the right thing by their dogs.
While that breeder travelled 400 mile to retrieve her dog, city people rarely want to go even 40 mile to buy one, which is why I never had a waiting list. Always got decent home for the cattle dogs though. Oh, people do ring me about shelties still but I'd never get back into breeding them.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
To be totally honest i don't get why a purebred in the show ring MUST be intact. How can a female beat a male when she doesn't have ummmmm danglybits.
She can if she is a better female than he is a male of course. They only compete for Best of Breed, not in age classes.

If you're so concerned with having a stud male,then bottle him.
A friend did that with sperm from the sire of my red Ch's, and after his death there was an accident at the surgery and the canister got tipped over, everything broken. A lot of top dog's (different breeds, imports etc.) contributions were lost and I imagine it cost that clinic a fortune in compensation.

I do understand it's not as easy as that with a female. But seriously how does the dogs ability to still be able to produce make it any better than one that can't. Owning a golden that is show line on all sides for as far back as we can see on papers, i kinda resent the fact that he is now looked upon as less than because he is fixed,,and i have to say i applaud the breeder we got him from for allowing us to break our contract with her and letting us have him snipped due to an issue we were having with a rescue.
Your dog wouldn't be considered inferior just because he's desexed, Aslan. I've always thought there are nicer cattle dogs outside the ring than in it, in fact I've seen some real beauties kept as pets. No doubt your Golden is gorgeous.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And females are very difficult to even tell they have been fixed once they are healed and the fur has grown back. Yes, I understand the concept of show dogs being bred from show dogs. But if the case is that you don't get a champion for many years than that dog is too old to breed anyway. Maybe before being fixed do as aslan says - bottle them, take some eggs. It works for us.
The fanatical showie, 14+, will sometimes spey a female, especially shelties, in secret because Shelties get better coat after speying. It also means of course that they don't come in season and have to be left at home. Other exhibitors are always suspicious when a glamorous top winner is not bred from and is always there in the ring. LOL.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
It's also extremely expensive. I would imagine the costs of puppies would double or triple and send even more people to byb's . And unspayed females would still be necessary .
You're spot on, LP. And that cost for reputable breeders would be on top of hip scoring the parents, and doing any other health tests there are for your breed. In ACD's it's BAER testing(for deafness), and testing for PRA. Tests that are not done of course by puppy farmers.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Please tell me why a "show dog" needs to be in tact??? Does that take away from it's physical appearance? Does it take away from it's mental capabilities?

You know, if there are going to be exceptions to laws (other than for medical reasons) why bother having the laws ?
You are answering a question with a question here, but never mind. Some people do want to breed with their Ch dogs, and once upon a time one was not allowed to show a dog that is not entire or intact. Now though they do have separate classes here for neuters and I think their own Ch title, so that's a step in the right direction, Aslan's Golden here would get recognition if it is top quality. Our Canine Councils cater to the pet person beautifully, I'm rather proud of what they've done in all parts of the dog world.
Showing is just the way of keeping a breed's quality high.

Re showing photo's to the public of dogs being euthanased, a great idea. It should be handled like the TV advert's for smoking, with a certain shock element. Shake them up a bit, make them face what they are doing.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Oh yeah, forgot - laundry soap. You, mf, are an exceptional doggie momma. You clean, launder, give pups toys, quality food, etc. How many breeders do all of that? Even ones that have posted on here I see cement and grass under the pups feet.
That comment made me laugh , 14+, as it reminded me of a snobby cocker spaniel breeder who thought she was better than everyone else because she washed her dogs' bowls. I thought "What?! Doesn't everyone?"

Anyway, have to tell you that pups here are born in heated whelping boxes and sleep on very expensive(but at least hard wearing) dry bed. From birth until the dam stops any discharge they have clean flannalette sheeting over that because it is easier to wash than dry bed, it drys faster. I have a great collection of stuffed toys for baby pups. I forget who complained about the cost of registered pups but I can guarantee I've never made a cent because of giving litters the care I think they deserve. And I am certainly not alone.
Attached Images

Old January 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
I've read through this entire thread - I don't see anyone implying that show dogs are any 'better' in any sense of the word.
The whole idea that show dogs should be exempt from this law indicates that they are "better" than mutts

You do realize that by indicating there 'needs to be mutts' that you are fully supporting the 'oops' litters, the 'I want my children to witness the miracle of birth' litters, and other BYBs in general? I'm not sure you can have it both ways?
The only reason "oops" litters are such an issue is due to the overpopulation of dogs. Get rid of puppymills that pump out hundreds of puppies monthly and an "opps" litter here and there won't create the overpopulation.

As for paying $2K for a kitty/puppy - I would do it again in heartbeat. Knowing my dog has the best chance health-wise due to proper health testing as well as longevity in the lines (given it's a Great Dane) - why wouldn't I want to pay that amount? I wish more people would look at the bigger picture instead of the dollar amount. This is why BYB are so successful because people only ever consider the dollar amount and refuse to think about the whole picture

Keep in mind - I am all about rescue as well, and I really think rescue and responsible/ethical breeding can go hand in hand, but when we start passing judgements that are either black or white - it's a slippery slope.
Well I guess paying 2K is OK for those who have the money, but there are seniors that love the companionship of a small dog and putting out 2K would mean not eating for months.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 26th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Well I guess paying 2K is OK for those who have the money, but there are seniors that love the companionship of a small dog and putting out 2K would mean not eating for months.
My concern with this is that if someone cannot afford 2K for a dog... how will they be able to afford to give it proper medical care when (and we all know eventually it will) become necessary. I think dogs SHOULD be expensive, so that people think twice before getting a dog and so that they realize from the get go that dog ownership (responsible dog ownership) is expensive. I also think spaying and neutring should be mandatory, with the exception of very strict rules to allow for some ethical breeding...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
My concern with this is that if someone cannot afford 2K for a dog... how will they be able to afford to give it proper medical care when (and we all know eventually it will) become necessary. I think dogs SHOULD be expensive, so that people think twice before getting a dog and so that they realize from the get go that dog ownership (responsible dog ownership) is expensive. I also think spaying and neutring should be mandatory, with the exception of very strict rules to allow for some ethical breeding...
Well, I guess I think differently. Dogs/cats should not only be for the rich and not every dog/cat has expensive health issues. I, personally, would not pay 2K for a dog or a cat.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 26th, 2011, 08:34 AM
owned by Tucker

I don't know about you guys but here in the pet stores designer mutts go for $1800 and up, go to a breeder and you can get a pure bred for much less sometimes even half of what you would pay at the pet shop. Yes not all dogs get sick but how can you tell which one will. My last dog Travis berner x shepherd cost me over $5000 in vet bills over his life time and I'm not talking about regular check up and shots. Tucker other than a eye infection and a couple of ear infections in the last 6 years nothing...I believe its because the breeder did a good job from pregnancy till we got him, as Travis was a farm puppy and I felt so sorry for the living conditions he was in in a way it was my own fault I should have walked away but how do resist a puppy who's life you know you can make better.
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess I think differently. Dogs/cats should not only be for the rich and not every dog/cat has expensive health issues. I, personally, would not pay 2K for a dog or a cat.
My suggestion is that those who don't wish to spend the money on a well bred, health and temperment sound dog/cat go to a shelter and spend their money there. It's when you have people who wish to spend 500$ on a 'purebred' animal that is ridden with health problems that problems begin. That 500$ animal can potentially turn into thousands and thousands of dollars. Again - I'd much rather pay a higher amount upfront, have breeder support, etc than the pain and heartache and expense of a BYB. You will always have people who want that purebred and who will not want to go through a shelter - this is why BYB continue to be so popular.

Quote:
The whole idea that show dogs should be exempt from this law indicates that they are "better" than mutts.
It's unfortunate that's your 'takeaway' on that. Show dogs should be exempt because they actually have a purpose for NOT being spayed/neutered. They are shown in the ring and the guidelines state that a dog must be intact in order to do so. This is something to bring up with the CKC or AKC if you are unhappy with this rule.
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
My suggestion is that those who don't wish to spend the money on a well bred, health and temperment sound dog/cat go to a shelter and spend their money there. It's when you have people who wish to spend 500$ on a 'purebred' animal that is ridden with health problems that problems begin. That 500$ animal can potentially turn into thousands and thousands of dollars. Again - I'd much rather pay a higher amount upfront, have breeder support, etc than the pain and heartache and expense of a BYB. You will always have people who want that purebred and who will not want to go through a shelter - this is why BYB continue to be so popular.

How much you spend on a dog/cat doesn't guarantee a healthy pet , there is no correlation

It's unfortunate that's your 'takeaway' on that. Show dogs should be exempt because they actually have a purpose for NOT being spayed/neutered. They are shown in the ring and the guidelines state that a dog must be intact in order to do so. This is something to bring up with the CKC or AKC if you are unhappy with this rule.
I personally don't care, I was responding to the original posting about the article on dogs being spayed neutered by the SPCA before being returned to it's owners and somebody brought up that show dogs should be exempt.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 26th, 2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
How much you spend on a dog/cat doesn't guarantee a healthy pet , there is no correlation.
Of course there are no guarantees, but you stand the best chance at having the healthiest pet possible when they do come from a reputable and ethical breeder who does the required health testing. With all due respect, to say there is no correlation is simply an ignorant statement and one I hope people will think twice about.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Of course there are no guarantees, but you stand the best chance at having the healthiest pet possible when they do come from a reputable and ethical breeder who does the required health testing. With all due respect, to say there is no correlation is simply an ignorant statement and one I hope people will think twice about.
So the correlation is to get from a rep/ethical breeder, not how much you pay .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Okay, so let's say, for argument's sake, that all the breeders are harming their breeds and you prohibit them from breeding. (I'll just go and cry into my beautiful English setters' fur and tell them they're a dying breed now. Better cry into your Himalayans' fur, for the same reason, L4H. Love rotties, BenMax? We can make it a cry fest )

Okay, breeding is done. What has that done for the problem?

Nothing. The shelters are still full of dogs on death row because the populace still hasn't been educated as to puppy mills, and even if they were, they have no choice if they want a purebred because you've just shut down all the breeders...

And I'm now without my English setters, to boot.

Maybe you can live with that, but I'm not nearly 'PETA' enough to want to try.
Hazel..I am not saying STOP breeding forever. I am suggesting to take a break. I am not that unbalanced you know.. I certainly would not want to see breeds extinct. To imply that, I would be a PETA person...which I am certainly not.

Yes you are absolutely right about shelters still having dogs and cats on death row. Again - as you stated before - tougher laws, penalities to be put in place along with education. I cannot dispute this either.

Really - we have no issue Hazel. I agree with you.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
When you say breed people should contribute I assume you mean in all ways, fostering, adopting and financially. I don't know about that. Showing dogs is very expensive, the breeder/exhibitor usually takes excellent care of their own dogs and is there when dogs they breed and have sold need looking after, I just wonder why they should be made responsible for the sins of others, for all dogs? They should be the saviour so that all the people who puppy farm or are totally irresponsible owners can sleep at night? The over population is not of their doing. They're not all heartless really, I know of a Chihuahua breeder who had a houseful of little angels that needed a home, so she gave them one. Easy to do with a small breed, not so easy with the large or aggressive breeds. I would not bring an adult cattle dog in here for instance, not while my current pair are still with me.
Really?. Wow sad that they could not pass on the same courtesy of spending a fraction of money to help an animal in need that is a breed that they hold near and dear. How selfish really. Is one dog really going to kill their wallet?

I never implied that breeders are heartless, but I can tell now that they are selfish if they cannot lend a hand.

And no - they absolutely do not have to be anyone's saviour - we can just leave that up to volunteers, rescues and shelters that open their arms to any breed or mutt for that matter. Not a problem as none of them think about the costs incurred. It certainly separates us all now doesn't it.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I really would rather stay out of this thread especially due to the turn of the topic, however, on the origional point of the thread.
We all have seen the one owner who lets their dog roam everywhere with no regard for its safety or for it to be breeding with other roaming dogs in the neighbourhood.
Especially in the country.
Now, owning intact dogs i can tell you that these roamers end up here once a year like clock work, lingering around the pen, marking up the property you name it.
IF we had animal control out here at all, and said intact males were picked up and neutered I wouldnt have a problem with it. Now, if Marv was to escape (a dog who holds some amazing genetics in his pedigree and a very costly boy for what he has behind him.) and be neutered upon pick up by the non existant animal control. i would be of course extremely ticked off, but I think more with myself.
I have paid a LOT of money for my TM's, between importing and health testing and I make DARN sure they are kept secure. Also, training goes a LONG way. If by chance he was to slip away from me on a walk for example and be now running at large, thankfully he has a decent recall.
I dont know if I agree with it being a law to have all dogs altered, I dont want to state that there is more value in a purebred than a mixed breed, I dont hold any of my dogs above another (Ok I'm lying, Kita my mixed breed is my heart dog, I have a smidgen more love for her but dont tell the others)
Not once has any of my dogs been picked up by a "dog catcher" or ended up in a pound. I have lost Meiko and Kita in the past, for less than a day, I had called every vet clinic, SPCA, Humane Society, animal control in the area ect... with in an hour of them running off. Had they not been altered and picked up, I wouldnt object to them insisting I altered before taking them home.
On the other hand though, isnt holding a dog until the owners agree to alter really taking up resources and space for a dog in need?

Anyway, back on my origional point... which is, for example the law was that if a dog was picked up by animal control it was to be neutered before leaving... then I would just take extra care in making sure they dont get out.
I think though what it would lead to is some very under excercised dogs, and those who chose not to alter as required would just hide.