Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 22nd, 2003, 05:20 PM

Question Hair Loss HELP

My eight year old lab has been experiencing semetrical hair loss at the tip of his tail. He has been checked out by the vet and he does not have a thyroid problem. He has also developed about one to two millimeter sized raised inflamations on his tail. The hair loss seems to be centered around these. I have tried antibiotics, antiinflamatory and anitfungal medications and nothing seems to be working. This has been going on for about four or five months and it is slowly getting worse. I haven't seen him chewing on his tail. If anyone has any ideas about what could be causing this problem please let me know.

Thanks
Old March 31st, 2003, 05:33 PM

Post loosing hair

I had a kitty cat that was suddenly loosing hair on his back side near his tail. I took him to the vet and they found nothing wrong and labeled it "from stress". I eventually had to take him back again because it got much worse and not only was he loosing hair, he was beginning to loose skin.

Ultimately, he had been injured. He suffered vascular damage and was suffering from lack of blood supply to that region. The hair and skin began to fall out and off due to Necrosis. Dieing tissue. I didnt know he'd been injured. His first hair loss was also symetrical.

Perhaps you need another opinion. I did. My kitty ultimately had to be put to sleep. We found he'd been hit most probably by a car and was suffering more than the first vet took note of. Take your pooch to another vet and just get another opinion. I wish I had.

-Astro-
Old April 16th, 2003, 03:59 PM

Hair loss!

Yes, my dog is Maltese and he is 9 years old. He is losing his hair and there is not alot on the tail and two spots on his back. It's thinning out so I have changed his brand of food to eagle pack, it's all natural. He is going for a thyroid blood test next week. Everything else with him is fine. Healthy! Have to wait and see. Bye for now!
Old April 16th, 2003, 04:20 PM

Hi T,

It's good you are seeing your vet next week.

Hair loss is a common one in dogs. The problem is that there are so many possible causes. It could be a skin problem, a flea problem which causes scratching, or a behavior problem even a food problem....and even as the previous poster suggested a stress problem.

good luck

Hillary