Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 30th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Unhappy how can I keep her?

Hi everyone,

This is my first time here.
I really need some advice. In August my fiance and I adopted a dog, Chica. But now my fiance has left me, and I must move in with my Mom for a few months. I can only take my other dog (a jack russel) and my bird with me. Mom already has another jack and Chica is very hyper, so she will not be welcome.

I really love this dog and would like to keep her. She is crate trained, and accepts new situations well. Does anyone have any idea what I can do with her for the few months it will take to get me on my feet? Are there places that can Foster her? I will find her a new home if I have to, but that is my late resort. HELP!!
Old December 30th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

First of all,are you sure you cannot take your dog to your mom's house? If Chica gets along with your mom's dog, it could be a bonus, cause all the dogs can play and tire themselves out. I have found that often dogs who are called "Hyper" are actually just normal dogs who don't get enough exercise.

If you really cannot take her, I suggest you contact rescues in your area - they may be willing to help with fostering in certain situations.

Ask your friends too - many people do not mind having a dog when they know it's temporary.

Put up signs at your vet's office and other places. What kind of dog is Chica? Some breed clubs may be able to offer suggestions if Chica is a recognizable breed.

If you do find someone to foster, be very careful that you know she will be well looked after.
Old December 30th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh dear big hugs!

Yu will be fine though, I can feel it in your post lots of positive energy !

I would first ask for you to look at close friends and relatives that you can trust. It could be a difficult situation trusting someone (a stranger) to foster your dog. I have known there to be many problems, people not wanting to give the dog back etc....

Have you discussed this with your vet, perhaps he/she knows of someone responsible and reliable that does 'pet sitting' services but also fosters or provides temporary homes.

This will be a big upset for your dog you know, but I completely understand your circumstances. Sometimes we think it may take us a couple of months to get our 'act' together but when in fact it may take longer.

Is there a way to keep the two dogs separated in your moms home when you are not there to supervise? Have they actually 'met' before and played together or will this be a first time meeting? Many dogs get along extremely well. Just introduce them on neutral terratory like a park and let them play together with balls and treats.
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Like Luba says, you should probably try to find a person you know well to foster Chica. If you can't find anyone, you could look for a clean well managed kennel with an owner who would allow you to come and see her on a regular basis. It'll be pretty hard on Chica, but if you can, find a way to keep her!