Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Looking for a shiba inu!!!!

Hey im looking for a full breed Shiba inu pup, im from Newfoundland. if you are a breeder or know someone please help me!!!

Last edited by shibagirl23; November 4th, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I just googled and came up with.........

http://www.shibainucanada.com/

Good luck on the "reasonable price" and must be able to ship. They just don't go together. Personally I would not want to adopt any pure bred dog without visiting the breeders facilities and seeing both parents first.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Maybe you would consider lookin at www.petfinder.com and search for your breed? looks like there were quite a few when I checked?? they are a rescue though so perhaps thats not what your looking for? or maybe never considered?? maybe you will?? good luck!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Doggie Wench

I agree, 14+. With all the millers, who knows where a pup is really coming from . You can also try rescues and shelters in your surrounding area, shibagirl23. You won't find better fees.
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM

hey thanks! iv been checking out a few places, there is one breeder in newfoundland and the pups are $1200 each...im willing to pay around $700. and for shelter dogs, i wanted to get a pup and sometimes you dont know how big the dog will grow lol. The main reason i posted this is, i was hoping Id luck out on a breeder that might be closer i didnt know about....than im willing to drive to the breeders.
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Doggie Wench

Take a look at the link 14+ provided. All sorts of info there.
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Hello fellow newfie

1200 dollars is a GREAT price for a well bred pet.. ever heear the saying "you get what you pay for?" You have to understand that each 1200 dollar pup that they sell, there was 1200 dollars speant on THAT puppy and its parents.. They make very little to NO money on them.

My dog was 1300 dollars (Breeder in paradise).

If you buy from a reputable breeder elsewhere in canada, even if they sell their pups for 900 dollars (which you probably wont find a breeder asking for this little) You need to remember the cost of a crate and the cost of the airline shipping it! It will add up to the same price!

I think it would be better to go with the reputable breeder you have found here on the island and pay the bit pf money in gas to travel and get it
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
Hello fellow newfie

1200 dollars is a GREAT price for a well bred pet.. ever heear the saying "you get what you pay for?" You have to understand that each 1200 dollar pup that they sell, there was 1200 dollars speant on THAT puppy and its parents.. They make very little to NO money on them.

My dog was 1300 dollars (Breeder in paradise).

If you buy from a reputable breeder elsewhere in canada, even if they sell their pups for 900 dollars (which you probably wont find a breeder asking for this little) You need to remember the cost of a crate and the cost of the airline shipping it! It will add up to the same price!

I think it would be better to go with the reputable breeder you have found here on the island and pay the bit pf money in gas to travel and get it

Hey!! Im new to the owning a dog thing lol so when i found out $1200 for a pup here, and somewhere else was $400, it makes me wonder why is there so much of a difference. but yes I agree 100% with you, if i dont find another breeder near by i will be going to her for a pup. There was another breeder closer for a better price, $800. but once i found out about it all the pups were spoken for and she said it was her last litter. So if any one knows of a breeder in NL let me know....because you never know. thanks everyone for the Info
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

regardless of the price you need alot of things to look for In a reputable breeder.. You want to go see the parents and pups and see what condition they are in.. if they are outside dogs. Dont buy them. Their is NO way they can be properly socialized if they are outside all the time.

The main thing you want to look for in a reputable breeder is health testing.
And someway they prove their dogs. Weather it be showing in Conformation.. Agility..sledding..Obediance etc. They need to be titled somehow.

Registration is a plus, but you have to look at the rest of the things because just because they have registered dogs, doesnt mean they are good breeders

You want to stay away from BYB's, petstores and puppymills because you do NOT want a dog with health or temperment issues. Because that 400 dollar dog might end up costing you thousands of dollars in vet bills or trainers or even a law suit if you get a VERY badly bred dog

Good luck
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Info on the Shiba inu <- click link
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old November 5th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Shiba's are one tough dogs. Hope that all your research is done in regards to the breed and their requirements. As a first time dog owner - you are taking on a big challenge. Regardless, I am certain that you know that an animal is for life and you are prepared to this undertaking.

Best of luck to you and if you do infact go to a breeder - ask to see the parents. Also, take someone with you that knows the breed and how to select a pup that has the behaviour that suits your family. Do not venture to do this on your own if you have never owned a dog before.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:16 AM

As a 1st time Shiba mom for 4 years now, I'm still in awe of a Shiba's personality.

The Shiba's unique personality is worth every second of wonder and amazement.

Wikipeida describes them perfectly. Everything from the way
they study 'you'....and their 'Chewbaka' voice....to their
high self-esteem and air of royalty...they'll keep you
laughing and talking. Yes....it's happened to me...
I talk to my dog in every serious sense.

Good Luck in your search for a Shiba Inu. I would really
check the history. As for the price, our dog's father is
a Champion and we paid $800....of course that was 4
years ago.
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.shibainucanada.com/breeders_directory.htm

This site may be out of date but according to it, the Shiba Inu Canada breeders directory, there is NO Shiba Inu breeder in NFLD. There is one in NB. CKC membership is not a guarantee of a good breeder, but it sure is a better bet than a breeder who is not a member. It is illegal to sell as purebred any dog that is not registered with the CKC. In Canada.

Please check who you consider getting a purebred pup from very, very carefully. Shiba are not generally considered to be an easy breed to own. My girlfriend, experienced in dogs, found her's to be quite difficult to train. Mind you, her experience was with Goldens and Shelties, breeds who generally live to please, while Shibas are independant thinkers.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

It is also imperative that they are well socialized from puppies as they are loyal to their guardians and very protective. Good luck and like the rest said make sure you are going to a reputable breeder and not a back yard breeder or puppy mill. Most of the time with a rescue you know what you are getting as they already know the temperment of the dog and how big it will get. Look into rescue, you might be surprised. We get puppies all the time.