Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM

trying to change to a better dog food

Trying to change to a better dog food. Buddy was on Iams Puppy Large Breed - dry when I got her. Have had for two months and I would like to change to a better dog food. She loves the Iams. Got a stomach bug and allergic reaction in the same week and I had to feed her boiled chicken and rice. The vet came me a bag of Iams - Gastro to help during her stomach bug/allergic reaction. I don't know if her two problems where cause my food. I think she got stung by a bee/wasp and had a allergic reaction (nose swollen up, hives, scratching, etc) to it. Also, I have tried wet dog food while she was teething, didn't touch it.

Did the research and I would like to put her on Wellness. I think this is the best for her breed (half chocolate lab/half golden retreiver). She is still teething and I have tried some sample packs of Wellness in her food with the Iams. Not going so well. I think the Wellness might be harder than the Iams. She just recently started to eat it out of my hand with the Wellness, didn't before. I had to actually pretend to eat it, so I could get her to eat a little bit of it.

She is a picky eater and often will not eat her treats that are in crate until I am home. She will not touch human food if left on the table, except if it is steak or pork tenderloin.

Any ideas of how to get her to eat the better food? Or sure I tried another type of food?