Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:58 PM

About my Buddy

Hi,
Our dog, Buddy, jumped out of the back of the truck on the way to feeding up the horses a few days ago. I immediately rushed him to the vet. He was held there for two and a half days. I was notified that he had a broken tail bone at the base of his tail. I was also told that he has nerve damage to his right shoulder. He does not have a dislocated or broken shoulder though. I was aloud to bring him home with strict orders to keep him confined. I am to return back in around 2 weeks. The doctor didn't really give me any definite answers as to when he will get feeling back in his leg, or even IF he will. I am so worried he will never be able to run again and to see him just drag his leg around is so devestating. What can I do? I don't want to give up on him. I move it frequently and squeeze his toes to see if he feels at all, but so far its nothing. Does anyone know anything about this?
Thank you,
Robert and Cindy
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't manipulate the affected leg at all and make sure he rests rests rests. Nerve damage takes a long time to heal and massaging his leg will not help it to heal faster, in fact it may make things worse.
You'll just have to be patient about the outcome and give him the best possible chance of recovery.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Live well, laugh often

I agree with Badger and would recommend as much rest as you can manage. I believe that most nerve damage repairs occur in the first six weeks so your pup still has a lot of time to recover. If you have questions give your vet a call and ask if there is anything regarding therapy that he recommends.

Good luck .
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Geek Club CEO

Is it the radial nerve that is damaged? If so, it can take a really long time to repair, and usually required physiotherapy ONCE THE AREA HAS HEALED. In the meantime, follow the doc's orders and and rest, rest, rest that arm. IF, and I repeat IF by some terrible fluke he doesn't regain use of the arm, it will honestly not be the end of the world. I've got a 17 month old german shepherd who was born with a deformed front leg, and she has always walked (and ran, and played, and jumped and wrestled, and played tugofwar etc. etc. etc.) on three legs. We opted to have her leg amputated when she was a baby because that bad leg was just causing her too much trouble (it got in way all the time and was heavy and got bruised/raw from bonking on things all the time). She recovered within weeks of the surgery and is now a true-blue tripod.
Now keep in mind that I'm sure your pup's arm will be just fine, but I'm telling you this so you don't fret about the "what if's" of a dog that can "only" use three legs. My vet always says that dogs are born with three legs and a spare...they really do just fine, and you don't need to worry about it.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Update

Well today I was looking at my replys to my bulletin and I noticed he was trying to get on the couch...I told him no and he kept trying anyways. I was watching his damaged leg very closely and he lifted the shoulder, very slowly, and hardly at all, but thats all I needed to see to get my hopes up. I am being optimistic. I don't massage his leg anymore, just straighten it out when he's laying on it funny or he's standing with it folded under. He knows I mean well I think. Although I do keep him confined in a VERY large kennel a lot I do let him out, b/c I feel mean for locking him upm, but I do try and make him lay down a lot. But he is doing good I think. His tail still REALLY hurts. Thanks for the advice!
Cindy and Robert