Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 27th, 2005, 10:39 PM

Toy Poodle questions

HI!
I am thinking of getting a toy poodle and was wondering if toy poodles would be a good choice for my family.
My sister has allergies to animal dander and i have heard that poodles do not have dander and are hypoallergenic.... is this true.
also though, my sister is getting older now a spends very little time at home and we could keep the dog out of her room.
I go to school and my parents work too.
So would a toy poodle be a good pet that would be left for 5 to 6 hours a day. i am willing to walk the dog before and after school and give it plenty of love and attention.
i would get the dog in the summer too, so i would have lots of time to train it ect.

Any help you could give would be much apreciated!
thank you!
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:11 PM
banned user

I don't know much about the Poodle breed, aside that they are very people oriented and get attached to thier owners quickly.

What I do know is that there is no such thing as a hypo allergenic dog.
All dogs have dander, all dogs shed.
There are dogs that are low dander, low shedding. Yes, the poodle is one of them.
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
HI!
I am thinking of getting a toy poodle and was wondering if toy poodles would be a good choice for my family.
My sister has allergies to animal dander and i have heard that poodles do not have dander and are hypoallergenic.... is this true.
also though, my sister is getting older now a spends very little time at home and we could keep the dog out of her room.
I go to school and my parents work too.
So would a toy poodle be a good pet that would be left for 5 to 6 hours a day. i am willing to walk the dog before and after school and give it plenty of love and attention.
i would get the dog in the summer too, so i would have lots of time to train it ect.

Any help you could give would be much apreciated!
thank you!
No dog is hypoallergenic. They just may have different allergens than the ones people are typically allergic to. You would have to bring your sister somewhere where there is an adult poodle to see if she is allergic to it. If she is, it's not just a question of her not being home often, she will have to live with this in the house for the next 15 years or until whenever she moves out and then she will have to visit your parents with the dog still in the house. If she is allergic to it, it won't be fun. My boyfriend can't visit his grandmother because of her cat.

Your situation may be ok for a dog now, but what about in 5 years? 10 years? Where will you be? Are your parents willing to take care of this dog if you decide when you are 16 that your friends are more important than your dog or if you decide to travel for a few months when you graduate high school or if you decide to go away to university? I know it's not fun but you have to look at the big picture when you get a dog. Think about it-- if you get a puppy poodle right now, it could live until you are 28. There are a ton of life changes in there.

Sorry if I am being a pessimist but I was a teenager not too long ago and I had so many other things to worry about than my dog...

Last edited by Prin; March 28th, 2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:31 PM

hi! i'm still in school, too. As for your question, a toy poodle would be absolutely great! Personally, I went for the soft coated wheaten terrier. They're low shedding and low dander...a lot of work has to go into their coats, though. I think that would be the same for a poodle, though. Cost-wise, a poodle is definitely a better choice for a student. My Téya would have cost me $1100, had she not been four months old and grey! She's in the process of turning wheaten color though. I think smaller dogs, particularly poodle and chihuahuas are pretty yappy when left alone.
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Ontario Dog Lover

Hi, also keep in mind that toy poodle puppies are extremely fragile. Falling down one stair can break a leg.
As Prin said, the toy poodle will live a long life, are your parents prepared to take over the care of this dog when you go off to college/university or are studying and don't have enough time?
I own a poodle and they do have dander, and they do shed, but more like humans do. You won't find hair all over the house. Frequent bathing helps keep the dander down and allergens to a minimum.
I am not allergic to my dogs (but am to other breeds), but I do have to bath them because their coats catch pollens and seeds on their walks.
Think long and hard before you get a puppy, it is a life long commitment!
many fish