Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 5th, 2003, 05:44 PM

Cat has been stuffed up for months!

Hi- Our 5 year old cat has been sick with what appears to be a head cold for steadily, eight months now. She is very snotty (but nice!) and sneezes a lot (always multiple times in a row). We had her on baytril for what seemed like weeks and it didn't work. She isn't coughing but sounds like a train with her breathing. Her appetitie is very good and her energy level is high. The stuffed up head, sneezy symptoms just wont go away. Recently, she also developed watery eyes. two local vets said this was just a 'chronic condition', and know no treatment for it. She isn't allergic, and may have been exposed to lyme disease. HELP!!!
Old April 8th, 2003, 04:18 PM

I posted a very similar subject at the 'ask the vet ' column this morning and am hoping for a reply there.
My 6 month old cat started sounding congested a little over a month ago. I took her to the vet and was told she had an upper respiratory problem and was given amoxicilin (sp?) .
It didn't quite take it away and after about a week of having finished the meds I called the vet back and was given a different antibiotic . Rue started sounding better, but about a week after this antibiotic was finished the symptoms came back.
Other than sounding congested ( and when she licks she sounds like she has too much saliva) , Rue appears fine. She plays, eats, coat is shiny, she's affectionate... she just sounds like she is congested all the time. ( shots are up to date, other cat who's 3 is fine)
I am beginning to wonder if it is chronic , or if she got too much immunization meds when she was 8 weeks old as she was shaken like a leaf for close to the entire day after her shots. Maybe her immune system got compromised.

I am hoping there is a homeopathic remedy that I can use for Rue, though I think it bothers me more than it does her. I just want my little girl healthy . And I can't afford to keep going to the vet and be back at square one once the meds are finished.

While this does not help you , it made me feel better reading that someone else had a similar problem.
I hope we both get an answer as to what is going on with our cats.
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:32 PM

Any my new found cat makes number 3 for this headcold thingy. I am glad i found this site as I now feel better . I was very unsure about keeping this cat when I knew she had a cold but I fall in love with animals of any kind so easy and even though I didnt want a sick animal I got one anyways. I just hope my other kitten doesnt come down with this.