Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Dog books - cat books - pet books

Old June 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM

The Art of Racing in the Rain -Garth Stein

I just bought this book. I haven't started reading it yet but it sounds good. I thought some of you would like to check it out....

DQ

From the Publisher
Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television and by listening closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming racecar driver. Through Denny, Enzo has gained insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn’t just about going fast. Using the techniques of the race track, dogs—and human beings—can learn to navigate life’s hairpin …+ read more
Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television and by listening closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming racecar driver. Through Denny, Enzo has gained insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn’t just about going fast. Using the techniques of the race track, dogs—and human beings—can learn to navigate life’s hairpin turns.
On the night before his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through: the sacrifices Denny has made to succeed professionally; the unexpected loss of Eve, Denny’s wife; the three-year battle for custody of their daughter, Zoë. In the end, despite what he sees as his own limitations, Enzo comes through heroically to preserve the Swift family, holding in his heart the dream that Denny will become a racing champion with Zoë at his side. Having learned what it takes to be a compassionate and successful person, the wise canine can barely wait until his next lifetime, when he is sure he will return as a man.
A poignant love story and a moving tale of redemption, The Art of Racing in the Rain—for which rights have been sold around the world—is an unconventional, captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could see them.

It’s frustrating for me to be unable to speak. To feel that I have so much to say, so many ways I can help, but I’m locked in a sound-proof box, a game show isolation booth from which I can see out and I can hear what’s going on, but they never turn on my microphone and they never let me out. It might drive a person mad. . . .
Myself, I have found ways around the madness. I work at my human gait, for instance. I practice chewing my food slowly like people do. I study the television for clues on behaviour and learn how to react in certain situations. In my next life, when I am born again as a person, I will practically be an adult the moment I am plucked from the womb, with all the preparation I have done.
—From The Art of Racing in the Rain

Last edited by dragon_queen; June 26th, 2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Ok, I started reading this today and i'm already 204 pages into the book. ( I admit I'm a book junkie and I'm off work from one of my jobs for the summer.) So far I'm enjoying it. This quote made me laugh...

from "The Art of racing in the Rain"

I admire the female sex. The life makers. It must be amazing to have a body that can carry an entire creature inside. ( I mean, other than a tape worm, which I've had. That doesn't count as another life, really. That's aparasite and should never have been there in the first place.)..."
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM

Ok, I finished it. I enjoyed it. It's a good story ( can you tell I'm not good with words, LOL). I don't want to give the story away in case someone wants to read it.
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
-

I wish I could take the time to read a book , I start one but keep getting bugged by the dogs so I just put the book back on his shelf. :sad:
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:52 PM

That's the joy of having lizards LOL. Books are my drug of choice, and being off one job for the summer (only have 2 shifts at the other one), I'm going to OD.

Woo Hoo, here come the paper cuts.

DQ
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:00 PM
border collie mama

That actaully sounds liek a very interesting book, and the dog has the same name as mine