Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Back for more

The first trip to the camp (Was it worth it? http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....d=1#post868759 ) was on Monday/Tuesday. It was so much fun running on new, longer trails that I went back again yesterday. Not for another overnighter, just for the day with a friend and my daughter. She ran 2 dogs (Flurry and Dru) on one sled and I took 4 dogs on the other sled (Lightning, Rain, Storm and Thunder). Flurry and Dru got a good workout, keeping up with the 4-dog teams up and down the hills for 5 miles. Here are some of yesterday's pics.
Attached Images

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

More pictures
Attached Images

Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

And still more
Attached Images

Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Cool pics, Gail! Man that looks like sooooooo much fun!!!!!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM

I love the photos. It's as though the fun that everyone is having just leaps out of the monitor on this end. It's infectious!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

It really is so much fun. Too bad I don't live somewhere where there's snow all year. I do dryland training too in the spring and fall, but I like the snow better. Once it comes I can't wait for the races to start, but all the ones I go to are in February so once they start it's like bang, bang, bang, bang, race every weekend and then it's over :sad: After the races are done I do some longer fun runs on some other trails (like up in Algonquin Park etc), packing along lunch and so on, but once we're into March you just never know what you're going to get for weather, so it always feels like we're working on borrowed time week to week hoping the snow conditions stay good for sledding. A couple of years ago it was really nice when I was still able to run the dogs on snow right into the first week of April

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I remember that year, too, Gail. We had our last snow that spring on April 28th. Not enough to sled on nor long-lasting, but nice to see and fun to play in for our guys, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:36 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

The scenery looks gorgeous in your pics.must be amzing to see in person well riding by on a sled.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:56 AM

Gorgeous scenery & dogs too of course

How did Dru do partnered with Flurry? He looks tiny compared to Flurry in the 1st pic but we all know it's mostly Flurrys' size

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
The scenery looks gorgeous in your pics.must be amzing to see in person well riding by on a sled.
It is really nice up around this area. I love the scenery too after a snowfall when the trees are all covered with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Gorgeous scenery & dogs too of course

How did Dru do partnered with Flurry? He looks tiny compared to Flurry in the 1st pic but we all know it's mostly Flurrys' size
Dru is amazing, he is turning into a really good sled dog. Loves to pull, very eager and he doesn't slack on the hills. He's a little bit bigger than Rain is but nowhere near Flurry's size. It's even funnier looking if I put Rain beside Flurry. Flurry is so atypical of a Border Collie, even his running style. They usually run lower to the ground. That's part of the reason why their size looks so different in that first picture. Dru is running low and leaning into the harness while Flurry tends to run more upright but is still very powerful.

Flurry and Dru are going to be my daughter's race team for this year for the 2-mile classes she enters. They're used to running beside each other already as I usually put them together in the middle of the team when I run 6. They run well beside each other but tend to scrap sometimes when they're first being hooked up, but that's just Flurry's overexcitement that gets them going and then Dru starts up too. Dru is a screamer - another dog can be making faces at him or take a snap without making contact but he'll start up this godawful wailing like he's being killed, at the same time as he's fighting back. These two are actually great buddies, they play together all the time and sleep together on the couch or the bed but when there's anything exciting happening look out! Flurry's always ready to nip at the closest dog and I have to watch he doesn't chew apart the gangline before the sled gets moving. He once chomped a brand new section of gangline apart in one or two bites. If he gets too hard on the lines I may have to switch from poly lines to cable so he can't bite through them. Flurry's a funny dog, when I'm letting them out to the backyard he fixates on Rain and wants to bite her on her way past him. Lots of times though he'll pick up a toy or a bone and hold it in his mouth and that stops him from nipping. It's like when the adrenaline is flowing all he can think about is grabbing something or one of the other dogs. The rest of the time he's mellow and playful.

Old January 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Great pics. Your dogs are so lucky to have such an active life style. They sure look happy (and tired).
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail P View Post
Dru is amazing, he is turning into a really good sled dog. Loves to pull, very eager and he doesn't slack on the hills.
Awesome, sounds like he really enjoys himself too

Quote:
They run well beside each other but tend to scrap sometimes when they're first being hooked up, but that's just Flurry's overexcitement that gets them going and then Dru starts up too. Dru is a screamer - another dog can be making faces at him or take a snap without making contact but he'll start up this godawful wailing like he's being killed, at the same time as he's fighting back.
what a pair

Quote:
Flurry's always ready to nip at the closest dog and I have to watch he doesn't chew apart the gangline before the sled gets moving. He once chomped a brand new section of gangline apart in one or two bites. If he gets too hard on the lines I may have to switch from poly lines to cable so he can't bite through them. Flurry's a funny dog, when I'm letting them out to the backyard he fixates on Rain and wants to bite her on her way past him. Lots of times though he'll pick up a toy or a bone and hold it in his mouth and that stops him from nipping. It's like when the adrenaline is flowing all he can think about is grabbing something or one of the other dogs.
Wow that boy has got power in those jaws. It's a good thing he's a sled dog & not in the herding showring as nipping is usually a disqualification there. Sounds like he settles quickly though whether sledding or just out playing

Old January 5th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Wow that boy has got power in those jaws. It's a good thing he's a sled dog & not in the herding showring as nipping is usually a disqualification there. Sounds like he settles quickly though whether sledding or just out playing
That's the funny thing though, he's not like that with sheep or other livestock, including the smaller animals like chickens and ducks. When we're out doing chores he likes to run laps around the horses in the field. He stays out wide away from them and just circles, circles, circles...every now and then he'll cut through the middle of them and change direction. He'll do laps around the other dogs and me too.

He's been lightly started on sheep and I'd like to do more training with him, but I doubt I'd trial him. Just too much else going on. I was supposed to be going to take Rain, Storm and Flurry back for more sheep work this fall, and Dru too to start him, but my friend and I couldn't seem to get our schedules worked out, or it was too wet and muddy some of the time to be safe for the dogs and sheep. Maybe in the springtime I'll be able to, although then she'll be into lambing and I'll be doing goose control. Or maybe early summertime, before it's too hot. No, wait...then I'm goosing then too. Maybe in the fall, when the goosework slows down, and in between starting up my fall training runs, if it's not too wet... Maybe I should just get my own sheep My daughter wants to join the 4-H sheep club anyhow and my friend said she'd donate her a lamb. Of course, we can't have just one lonely little lamb now can we?

Old January 6th, 2010, 12:19 AM

That Flurry i guess it's the excitement of the other dogs that also ramps him up

Oh yes you definately need more than 1 little lamb maybe a whole flock