Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 19th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Question Question to AKC papers

HI,

I couldnt find an message that i "thought" i placed earlier on. I must have a blonde day today.
But i got an adorable male Shih Tzu Puppy. It wasnt my intent to breed him but we thought about maybe having a litter with another Shih Tzu girl from a family member.The puppies from that litter would pretty much stay in familiar hands . Since disgussing that we are gonna get a Shih Tzu pup we got our Baby wich was given to us at barely 6 weeks of age. We were mailed the AKC papers and we were also called and asked to not register him until the end of this month since he was given to us early and not had his 1st shot yet ( wich he got now from us). Yes, he does grrrrreat !. Eats well and is playfull and happy.
So , the paperwork arrives....and the Breeder marked the limited box on there for the show/breed. And yes, i am a little upset. WHY wasnt I told before he isn't allowed to ever have pups?. Does anyone know about the regulations ?. I feel betrayed. Yet, happy cause my baby is doing so well and is the cutest thing on earth....today he napped with our cat , it was adorable.
Shih Tzu mommy
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes you did post this but in the wrong place. I answered you this:

Quote:
Any breeder who sells 6 week old puppies is not ethical.

AKC/CKC registration means nothing and your puppy is no doubt NOT breeding quality. If you don't show your dog to a championship, don't breed.

If you are on a non-breeding contract, and breed the dog anyway without showing him, then you are not only a backyard breeder, but are breaking the contract and can be sued.
Old February 19th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

One of my dogs came from a very good breeder, and has a limited AKC registration. There is nothing wrong with it! Dogs shouldn't be bred unless they are exemplary examples of their breed, have been titled & undergone all health testing for that particular breed. So it's OK. There is no good reason to breed a dog otherwise, and lots of good reasons not to breed.

I am sure it is somewhere in the small print.
All "limited" means is that, were your dog to sire puppies, none of the offspring are eligible for AKC registration. Also your dog cannot be shown in conformation. He can, if you want, compete for any "working" titles - obedience, agility, etc.

The breeder did a responsible thing by checking the "limited" box.
Old February 19th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with Lucky.No reputable breeder would sell a puppy at 6 weeks.

Also,I never had to send out any registration papers.My breeder did that.And to be honest,I don't know of any breeders who get the new owners to do this.This is the job of the breeder,not the new owner.And my dogs official CKC registration papers came when they where 5 1/2 months old.

Also,your pup should have gotten his first shot from the breeder.This so called breeder is being very sneaky.

There was nothing stated on my dogs papers as "limited.I was put on a non-breeding contract.Which,if I did not get the pups neutered at 6 months,I would have been fined $5000 each.

Question,where did you find this so called breeder?

Were the Sire and Dam Champions or Titled.Where they health or genetic tested?Temperment Tested?

Sorry for all the questions.But to me this sounds more like a BYB.
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to concur with everything that has been said. There is only one reason to EVER breed a dog and that is to better the breed. Typically, only champion dogs that have acquired titles are bred by reputable breeders. It is a costly endeaver and most breeders spend thousands of dollars in travel and registration fees, never mind care of the dogs!! They are not in it for the money and although it does not sound as though you are either, you really should not breed your dog, regardless of whether she has a purebred registered puppy.

Most reputable breeders have lenghty contracts and 99% of them insist the dog NOT be bred, especially if you purchased a pet quality dog that does not meet the standards of the breed. The breeder can most certainly sue you if you opt to breed the dog because you would be in breech of contract. They may even want to dog back and some contracts actually specify that - that breech of contract allows the breeder to demand return of the dog.

That said, this breeder sounds hardly reputable - no reputable breeder would sell a puppy at six weeks!!! It is not healty and the puppy has been taken from her mother way too early and can develop behavious problems later in life.

If you want to breed a dog, you need to buy a show quality dog - always more costly - and then you need to spend the money to register in the various shows, find a mentor to learn the rules of that game and then if she becomes a champion (many do not even if show quality) you can get into the breeding area which is another long and involved process and requires an incredible amount of knowledge!!

Here is an interesting article on the cost of breeding cats. I am certain you can multiply that by 1.5 or double it for dogs.

http://home.earthlink.net/~sarsenstone/brdcosts.html