Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 30th, 2005, 11:35 PM

i have satans dog

I bought this dog from a kill shelter and when i got him he was over a year old. now, this dog chews and i mean he chews wires, bottles, carpet, beds, walls, cats pretty much anything that can be chewed he chews. he has many many real bones (the ones that cost a lot) and the bones that can be easily chewed. i know for a fact he has had some training because hes one stupid dog but he knows the sit and lay down commands. not only does he chew he also cant sit still for more than 5 seconds and he only sleeps like an hour a night. im almost postive he was abused by his old owners because he gets startled very easily and he always has to be close to you.

now getting rid of him really isnt an option cause he would be put to sleep if he goes back to a kill shelter cause hes a really big dog and if someone were to test him if to see his temper he would fail cause he will snap at you if you try and take away whatever hes chewing. also this dog is just so darn helpless i mean he got caught in a phone wire not really caught but he though he did so he just stood there and whined till i got him loose. i just cant see myself giving him a death sentence i mean im sure he doesnt mean to be this way and hes a very good looking dog.

i know my grammar is bad but any info of maybe meds or something to help him would mean all the world to me

thanks
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:22 AM
-

It sounds like this dog has had very little or no training and he seems like he is not getting enough exercise. Whatever amount of exercise he gets double it. I would also get him enrolled in training classes. He doesn't learn manners on his own. He needs to be taught. What breed is he?
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:44 AM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Yes,
I would say your best option for this dog is
to train him.
You cant expect the dog to learn the rules on his
own. Training classes would be excellent for you.
Also, dogs often chew things they are supposed to
when they arent getting enough exercise or mental
stimulation. Perhaps a few new toys and bones and
some more fetch and some walks may help in your training
process.
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:20 AM
Not-so-senior member

Yes, lots and lots of activity and mental stimulation, which includes training. Train useful commands, like come and stay, but train tricks, games and whatever else you can do to keep this guy busy. "Drop" would be a really good command for this guy.

Dog-proof the place as much as you can. Everything out of reach. My GSD ate everything and anything when he was younger--pulled curtains off the wall, blankets off the bed, ate books, remote controls, shoes, and just anything he could reach if we got sloppy and left something around. You need to make these things very inaccessible and then reinforce him for using the toys you provide for him. I would only reintroduce these things gradually when you get his behavior under control and he reliably uses doggie toys.

I would crate train him for the times you are not there to keep him and your house safe, but keep in mind that he should not be crated for prolonged periods of time and confining him may make the problem worse, in a way. He will need that much more activity and stimulation when he is 'free.'

This dog sounds like he could have used a really experienced dog owner/trainer, but do your best and don't give up on the guy.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:37 PM

thanks

thanks guys i also realize now this is the wrong forum for this post. to asnwer some questions the dog i guess is a black lab but his short hair i would say is kind of rough. i really have no idea what he is. now for the training i really cant afford that right now but when this is possible i will for sure. i mean yes i guess i could learn how to train my dog before i can take him to a pro? he actually has another dog to play with (sorry forgot) but he chews on her the whole time so yeah he just goes for walks and i guess thats about all he does

i wont give up ever on this dog no matter what hes already ruined tons of stuff. i kind of feel cheated right now because this dog was replacing my golden retiver that died in 2003. she would sleep with me i mean she was just a perfect loving dog but right now this dog )satan dog) doesnt feel like my dog. ill admit right now i was looking for the easy way out thats why i didnt buy a puppy i was hoping this wouldnt have been a problem if i got a older dog
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:45 PM

Well, another upside to getting the adult dog is you saved a life

Maybe you could get a book to help you with the training at home until you can afford to take her to obedience. Good Luck!!
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:53 PM
-

Why do you thnk that you posted in the wrong forum?
Labs need to have a lot of exercise. You can also teach your dog a few manners and simple cues to get you started but adding to your exercise program will make a big difference. Check out training facilities in your area, you may be able to find one who will offer a payment plan. You will need to train this dog as if it were an 8 wk old puppy. He has no useful skills yet and will need to learn them. Nothing you are going to do will be a quick fix but there are things you can do to make life a little easier while he learns the rules.
Old January 16th, 2006, 10:10 PM

Thumbs up Bravo To You!! Thank You Thank You Thank You!!

I believe in you and say BRAVO and thank you for being so kind in rescuing this dog. FIRST I MUST ASK: Is the name of your dog Satandog? Please let me know, as I have missed what his name is? You have received soooooooo much advice. Please be careful. I know everyone means well, but not all of the suggestions are so easy to do! Putting your dog in a crate, for example - one cannot just put their dog in a crate without knowing about putting a rescued, abused dog in a crate - please be careful on all that you do. TAKE IT EASY, GO SLOW. I also rescued a dog (part Pomeranian and part Yorkshire Terrier-her name is Baby) and she had a terrible life being beaten, kept in a cage, never trained, never walked, slept and did her toilet in the cage, left in there for days as the owners went away out of town, needless to say, she has many issues. BUT, I LOVE HER! AND ALTHOUGH I RESCUED HER, I TRULY BELIEVE SHE RESCUED ME!! I believe in you - the most important thing with a dog that has been abused is that we MUST have PATIENCE, we must think on every action we take, every word we say, how we talk & our tone - LISTEN TO YOUR VOICE, of how he hears you. IMPORTANT TIP - PLEASE DO NOT SCREAM AND BE ANGRY AT YOUR DOG! If you feel angry, frustrated, etc.....take a deep breath, and speak low, speak soft, speak calm. Otherwise, any progress you make, if he loses the TRUST, then it will be like taking 10 steps back!! I have NEVER raised my voice to Baby, NEVER! All of those months, cleaning up diarrhea all over the house, several times a day.......all the times I had to stop, take a breath and work very hard, very patiently in FIRSTLY and most importantly, gaining her TRUST in me (which even today, every single day, she STILL is not 100% sure that I will not beat her!!!) But I understand, I love her, and I MUST find PATIENCE for her, even though it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard, when I am tired, when I am ill and need to FIND the patience, at any given moment, to take care of her needs - it is a 24/7 committment, when one rescues a dog, or any animal - BUT, how wonderful to be able to have all that it takes to take in an abused animal, to rescue an animal, and give them a loving, safe home, for the rest of their lives!!! They come to us, having "paid their dues" sort of speak, and those of us who have this special ability, like you, to be able to be strong, loving, patient and understanding, to be selfless ....... that is something to be proud of!!! I hope that you will continue to write in to this site, for help, to hear the experiences of others, the ideas others may give you, so that hopefully you will have some help in taking care of your dog. PLEASE - use POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT, when training your dog, i.e. each time he is learning, and does what you want, give him a crunchy (kibble food - carry some in your pocket at ALL TIMES, so that at any instant, when he listens to you, REMEMBER - always give him a treat, and ALWAYS SAY: GOOD BOY! GOOD BOY! and give him a pat, or scratch on the chest, or whatever else which you know that he likes!! I PROMISE, that if you have patience and are willing to go down this road, although it is a long road, and it may take a long time, I PROMISE, if you ALWAYS REMEMBER TO USE KIND ENCOURAGING WORDS TO YOUR DOG SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SINGLE DAY - you will see that your dog will begin to learn. IT IS ABOUT TRUST - your dog needs to trust you. He has been through horrible times, and you have come into his life and him into your life.......for a reason. I believe in fate, and you two were brought together.
ALSO, do not use many words when training or teaching your dog anything at all. ALWAYS BEGIN WITH HIS NAME (to get his attention) and then say what you want to say, for example: "SATANDOG!" GOOD BOY! or "SATANDOG!" COME! ................... From my personal experience, and from others who I have suggested this advice, I have always heard back that everyone says that this is good advice, and also REMEMBER: POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT AND A KIBBLE! TAKE CARE! YOU CAN DO IT!!

I bought this dog from a kill shelter and when i got him he was over a year old. now, this dog chews and i mean he chews wires, bottles, carpet, beds, walls, cats pretty much anything that can be chewed he chews. he has many many real bones (the ones that cost a lot) and the bones that can be easily chewed. i know for a fact he has had some training because hes one stupid dog but he knows the sit and lay down commands. not only does he chew he also cant sit still for more than 5 seconds and he only sleeps like an hour a night. im almost postive he was abused by his old owners because he gets startled very easily and he always has to be close to you.

now getting rid of him really isnt an option cause he would be put to sleep if he goes back to a kill shelter cause hes a really big dog and if someone were to test him if to see his temper he would fail cause he will snap at you if you try and take away whatever hes chewing. also this dog is just so darn helpless i mean he got caught in a phone wire not really caught but he though he did so he just stood there and whined till i got him loose. i just cant see myself giving him a death sentence i mean im sure he doesnt mean to be this way and hes a very good looking dog.

i know my grammar is bad but any info of maybe meds or something to help him would mean all the world to me

thanks[/QUOTE]