Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:12 AM

This dog is really pissing me off.

Valentine is really beginning to piss me off. She is 5 months old by the way and is a golden retirever/lab mix All this time with her box being cut off so she just has enough room to turn and lay down. Well i thought id give her the benefit of the doubt, since her box has been cut off for a long time to see how shed do last night with a little extra room, well guess what didnt work. I thought she do fine and not pee in her box.But she woke up this morning soak and wet. She is really beginning to piss me off. She didnt pee not one time in her box while i had it cut off and her limited space, and i gave her the benefit last night, and she blew it. She is soaked this morning. I dont know what else to do with her. Im NEVER gonna break her from peeing in her box. AND NO SHE DONT HAVE A BLADDER PROBLEM!! I dont know why she is doing this. If we dont get her broke from this now, she is never gonna be broke from peeing in her dog box. Im getting really fed up with her. What should i do next........ Its getting old and im sick and tired of her doing this
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie00
She didnt pee not one time in her box while i had it cut off and her limited space, and i gave her the benefit last night, and she blew it.
She did not blow it - you did. It is your responsibility to train Valentine not the other way around. She is obviously not ready for that much freedom.

Puppies need patient understanding and direction - we need to teach them how to live with us, they don't automatically know the rules. Puppies don't make mistakes, we do.

Did you give her the entire box last night? It needs to be gradual, like an inch of extra space at a time. Some dogs will handle the extra freedom better than others...it is what you are committing to when you get a puppy.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

5 months is still young. Many pups comtinue to wet themselved in the night well beyond that age. (That is, they do if the owner doesn't hear them whine and let them outside) Have patience with her, she is just learning. This is a very small issue, and you shouldn't let it "piss you off". One night is not enough time to adjust. WHen children are being potty trained, how many times do they wet themselves? More than once, that's for sure, but you don't give up! If you put in the time and effort with it, you will be glad you did.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

My "puppy" will be a year old next weekend and he NEVER gets "the benefit of the doubt". Any accidents that he has are always my fault. I either didn't take him out before I put him in his crate or I cut his walk short in my hurry to get back in the house (usually when it is cold or wet outside).
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:45 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Thumbs down

I guess it hasn't entered your mind that maybe YOUR training is just not working. But it looks like you've already decided she should be confined even more than now ... ya know, so she can see the errors of her ways.

On second thought, maybe just **** her now ... what a horrible puppy

Last edited by White Wolf; May 22nd, 2006 at 01:30 PM. Reason: removed possibly harmful sarcasm
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls
On second thought, maybe just *** her now ... what a horrible puppy
While I (and probably MOST members here) understand your sarcasm, keep in mind there may be "guests" lurking on these boards, reading our advice. I'd hate to see anyone take your comments seriously.

that said... Valentine is still a wee 5 mths. FIVE MONTH OLD PUPPIES OFTEN HAVE ACCIDENTS. Please treat it as such. an accident.

If Valentine has been doing well in the smaller (more confined) space, I'd keep it that way and just increase her space as she grows.

Last edited by White Wolf; May 22nd, 2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Since this was posted Feb 15 (edited to correct date)
Quote:
Hello my name is Jeannie. I own a one and a half year old Collie/shepherd mix female, her name is Chloe, and i just recently two days ago got an 8 week old female Golden retriever/black lab mix. She is sooo sweet. I have lots of questions and hope to get them answered.
I'm sorry but it's not like you don't have ANY experience with dogs. And it's been over three months your posting the same problems! The reason she probably didn't pee when she was in a more confined area most likely she just simply didn't have the room to even pee on herself.

This just cannot be a serious post. And if it is, I'm sorry but I don't have any confort for you.

Last edited by Golden Girls; May 22nd, 2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls
On second thought, maybe just *** her now ... what a horrible puppy

Despite the fact that you're being sarcastic and not actually serious, I don't really think it's an appropriate response to the op. Remember Marko's tag: "EDUCATE or IGNORE"

Last edited by White Wolf; May 22nd, 2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I thought she do fine and not pee in her box.But she woke up this morning soak and wet. She is really beginning to piss me off. She didnt pee not one time in her box while i had it cut off and her limited space, and i gave her the benefit last night, and she blew it. She is soaked this morning. I dont know what else to do with her. Im NEVER gonna break her from peeing in her box.
The longest you should really expect her to be able to hold it is 5 hours. I had to take my pup out in the middle of the night until he was about 8 months old.
Move her crate closer to you so you can hear her whine in the night if she needs to pee. Until she's bigger you can't realisticly expect her to be able to hold it all night. If she knows you'll take her out when she needs to go, she'll keep her crate clean, but if she thinks no-one is going to come for her, then yes, if she has to pee, she'll do it in her crate.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Long Term Member

I think you should think to yourself a little before you do this again...
She has been doing good in a confined space
*GOOD GIRL*
She wasn't the one who messed up last night... it WAS you- and I understand how it feels to mess up with your pets. When I was training Shyla to stay in the yard w/out her chain.... I messed up and heard it from members of this board about ten million times... but no matter how much my cat, Pepsi, pee's on my bed, or how much Pepper barks at other ppl or dogs or how much shyla jumps the fence, because I gave her the benifit of the doubt and let her be unsupervised in the yard... its MY fault not theirs... They DO NOT know BETTER! Shyla is 4 and Pepper is 6... I am still the one making the mistakes.
I just hope you think about it a little more next time...
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM

It's very easy to become frustrated with your pet. They will continually make mistakes at any age. Pointing fingers and making sarcastic remarks will not help someone learn a better way to train their pet.

Jeannie, you simply need to be patient and consistent. Sometimes, even that won't give you the desired result - but you have to remember that your pet is family, and you must practice forgiveness and patience until they understand what you expect of them.

Treat your puppy as a puppy - take her out once every couple hours, monitor her when she's out of the kennel, and give treats/rewards when she accomplishes each task. Set an alarm if you have to, so that she gets outside at night to potty. There are novels on this subject everywhere on the internet. Try a new technique where one isn't working.

Good luck!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM

Please keep this thread civil. Sarcasm and attacks do not educate the OP. If you cannot help, please allow others to.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
An Honest Contributor

ok, I apologize. For the record, I was not serious and will refrain from commenting further.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:02 PM

Your puppy is just that--a puppy. Just like kids, housetraining is harder for some and easier than others. Don't get mad at her, she's not doing it on purpose. Like someone else said, focus on the positive. She'll get there, it'll just take time, work, and above all . . . patience.

~LM~
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:04 PM

I agree with chico and mafiaprincess... also the reason I did not help in this thread was the op's tone and language in reference to the pup. Don't feel too bad, GG.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM

Jeanne00

Jeanne, what made you want to be a dog owner in the first place? Did you do ANY research before you brought that precious baby home? I have to agree with everyone else. The tone of your first post was highly offensive and the attitude that you're taking with your puppy has me a little worried. You need to keep that baby on a schedule and make sure she goes out to potty regularly. If she goes in her "box" (that alone is scary), it's because YOU didn't do YOUR job. Do not punish her for your lack of responsibility.
Remember these two words, PERSISTENCE and PATIENCE. Stick with it, love your puppy, and Valentine will learn eventually.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM

This thread has run its course and will now be closed.
Closed Thread