Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 9th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Mom of Cody and Nova

Found an abandoned kitten, questions.

So this week has left me with an unexpected surprise. I was doing some errands on Monday, and on the way home I noticed some kittens behind a plaza just off Yonge Street. I went to check it out, and lo and behold... 5 kittens. I spent some time trying to catch them, and luckily was able to get one orange/white tabby. There was one more orange and 3 gray/white, but they kept hiding behind the dumpsters where I couldn't get to them. I head home with the kitten, and went back with my sister to try get the rest... but they were gone by the time we got back. I'm really hoping that someone was able to get them, but I have a feeling they wandered off into the residential area beyond the parking lot. :sad:

The kitten seems to be about 8 weeks +, probably between 2-4 months. I'm not really sure on exact age. It's a male (which took a little time to figure out as I'm not familiar with sexing cats )

I checked again today to see if the kittens had returned.. but no such luck. The boy I have was definitely raised in a house. He's a bit hand shy, but loves to cuddle and meows when he's alone. He wants someone by him 24/7. He's a purr machine! It makes me so angry to think about someone abandoning these kittens just before were supposed to get snow.

I'm in love with him. He is the sweetest kitten! He seems to be in good health, eating, drinking, using a litter box. His one eye is a bit red this evening, but it was fine before that. I'm watching to see if it's just irritation/ something in his eye, but if it doesn't clear up it could be an infection.

Now here is my dilemma.. I doubt he's had his shots, and there is no way for me to know. What would be the protocol with this?

I love this kitten and want to keep him so badly... but I don't think my parents will allow it... ever. :sad: :sad:

I'll take some pictures of the cutie later on. It's really late and I'm sure I had more questions to ask, but I just can't remember at the moment.
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

They were probably dumped by somebody :sad: I hope the other kittens make it inside somebody's house .

You know, spatx, some die hard cat haters have turned out to be quite the kitty lovers once a sweet kitty comes into thier lives .

For the eye, you can use Polysporin Eye and Ear drops for flushing, it can be purchased at the pharmacy counter.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

Thanks, his eye is looking much better today. Still a little red, but not nearly as bad. Had him out earlier, he's pooped now and sleeping in his cage

My dogs are not being very good with the kitten.. I've been slowly introducing them. They are fine with me holding him, or seeing him in the cage he sleeps in. But I do not trust them one bit to get close. They are too interested, and being too intense... non-stop staring and watching his every move. With two herding breeds in the house, it worries me when I see them that interested in something. I'm going to do a bit of research on how to introduce them, for now I've been keeping them seperated anyway.
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:49 PM

As for the shots, better to be safe than sorry. When animals come into a shelter they are vaccinated regardless. Just in case.

The Maine Coon Mafia (litter mates)
Casey - Male Maine Coon, 3 years
Mak - Male Maine Coon, 3 years

The abandoned newcomer: Linus - Male Tabby, 1 year
Minnie - Female Tortie, RIP 9/3/93-8/18/09 (In Heaven, but never far from our hearts)

The Pooches... Best friends for life.
Miko - Male Chi/Terrier mix, 2 years
Mansa - Male Pit Bull, 1 year
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Let me set your mind to rest. People who are planning on dumping kittens do not bother getting those kittens needles. Go ahead and give him his shots. And thank you so much for rescuing this little angel.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

I figured as much about the shots

So, I won't be able to keep him. My parents put the line down when it comes to a cat... sigh... :sad:

I'm starting to look for cat rescues around me - I'm wondering if it would be possible to get him in one, and have him listed with them. I could be his foster home until someone adopts him.. and continue to foster kittens for them in the future? (I used to foster kittens for the THS). I e-mailed one rescue, and will call if I don't hear back soon.

Any ideas?
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Most definitely Toronto Cat Rescue. Is that the one you emailed? They are always in need of foster homes. Thank you so much for caring.

http://www.torontocatrescue.ca/store...eer.asp#strays

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

I e-mailed Forgotten Ones.

I will definitely get in contact with Toronto Cat Rescue as well.

My only issue is that I'm not prepared to deal with the finances of any larger medical bills. I have the money available for vaccines, which I should be able to get through the OSPCA clinic at a lower cost, or through my regular vet, but if anything else comes along it seems that with TCR I will have to pay for everything myself, which I'm not prepared to do. I just don't have the funds available.

If I were keeping the cat my parents would pay... but since I need to find him a new home, and they won't let me keep him, they won't pay ... sigh.
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:20 PM
150% PRO S/N

I don't know. I think if you explain the situation if something came up I think they would pay. That is something you can ask when you talk to them.

Old December 10th, 2009, 12:40 AM
-

Sorry your parents wouldn't let you keep him. :sad: He would have had a wonderful home with you and things could have been worked out with Cody and Nova.

Thank you for taking care of him now and I know you will do your best to find him a great home.
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Mom of Cody and Nova

I'm so attached to the little guy, it's going to be hard to let go when the time comes.

I know that whatever happens, I'm going to make sure he gets a good home In the future when I am able to move out, I'll consider adopting a kitten/cat - all I need to do is wait a few years.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Mom of Cody and Nova

Got a call this morning, I will be fostering him for Forgotten Ones Cat Rescue & Adoption. They will be sending me a foster home form to fill out, and are going to help me get him vaccinated, dewormed, all the good stuff.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep fostering for them in the future, I really love having kittens around
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so happy, maybe in that time period he will wind himself into your parents hearts

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM

So nice that you took the time to help him out. You have your whole life to get a few when you move out. Just think on how lucky thing guy was that you found him and will now find him a good home. Just enjoy the time that you have with him, sometime is better then no time. Take some pictures so you can remember how you saved a life.
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Congrats on the fostering, Spatx! Maybe your folks will come around once they see what a little charmer he is!

He's a lucky little kitteh, that's for sure. Do you get to name him or will the rescue do that? And how are the kitteh-doggie intros going? Have they lost interest, yet?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

Somebody pass me the sucker stickers

The rescue asked me today if I could take in two more abandoned kittens to keep mine company since their foster homes are full. I couldn't say no...

Old December 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Your rescue will do so much better with other kittens, you are doing him a huge favour by accepting the other two.

so where are the pics Sorry, couldn't help but yell as you know us better than that, we are pic

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 11th, 2009, 02:01 PM
-

Great news that you are fostering him and now two more to keep him company.

Since your parents are allowing you to do this does this mean that they are hopefully warming up to the idea of keeping him?

Can't wait to see the pics.
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

Unfortunately my parents aren't warming up to the idea of keeping him - it's a very strong 'no'. They don't mind me fostering kittens and finding them new homes, but as far as keeping them, I can't. Lots of factors at work against it (college and moving within next couple of years, mom and brother have some cat allergies, but kittens don't seem to bother their allergies.. but adult cats do? ).

He's a very special kitten though, I've never taken care of one like him before. He's trying to play with Nova through the bars of the cage he sleeps in. I had him and Nova out together, holding onto her collar just in case. He started playing with her tail and it made her happy so she wagged it more and that made it even more exciting to the kitty! Nova's being very good with him, excited and happy, but lying down and listening to me when I tell her to back off. Cody on the other hand is just kicking into prey-drive, and isn't listening to me. I'm not sure how to work with him, completely new territory for me.

Kitty boy! I'll take some better photos soon

Last edited by Spatx; December 11th, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, what a little sweetie pie

I got the definite "no" from my DH when I wanted to adopt Sweet Pea, then got it again when I told him I was bringing Rose back home . Now Rose is the apple of his eye and he walks around with Sweet Pea in his arms. His lap is the first one she goes to when she wants attention. And yes he is allergic to cats!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 11th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

Haha, than there is still hope!

My mom hasn't met the kitty yet, she is in Alberta with her family because unfortunately her brother passed away last week. I didn't get to know my uncle, but I still mourn his loss because I can see how much pain she's been in. She's coming home tonight, and I'll make her cuddle the kitty when he's sleepy.. no one can resist the cuteness!
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
-

He is soooo cute. Just look at that adorable face.
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Mickey, my angel

He is adorable. Look at that face.How could anybody resist him?
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM
150% PRO S/N

Aww he is a sweetie. You are an for taking on two more. Y'know, once you get past a certain number what's one more?
If he is a cuddlebum I can see your parents falling hard for him.

Old December 12th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear about your Uncle .

A heart can melt when a kitten purrs while snuggling on a lap

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM

beware! If she really falls in love with him, you may still not get to keep him. When you move out, your mom will want him to stay with her
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old December 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

OMD,what a sweet little face
If fostering him is all you can do,that is still great+2 more,you'll have so much fun and hopefully they find good homes for them.
Sorry to hear about your uncle,your mom might just feel in the mood to have a furry little sweety purring on her lap,but then again,maybe not.
Old December 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
beware! If she really falls in love with him, you may still not get to keep him. When you move out, your mom will want him to stay with her
Haha that's true. When I got my cat 7 years ago, I was living with my dad. When she was a kitten, she would destroy the curtins, etc. My dad couldn't wait for her to be out of the house, when I moved out. I lived with my dad, until my cat was 3. Still 4 years later, he emails and when he calls me, he always asks about her and wants to see her lol

I am always like see you miss her

ACO22
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

So the other 2 kittens found a home together - the girl who found them is adopting them to a friend of her mother. It's been a bit back and forth over the past day. I'm a little sad because I was hoping for the boy to have some buddies, but also very glad they got a home together.

It's always bittersweet.

I don't even want to think about rehoming 'my' little guy... but it is still a strong no and I don't have anyone else on board with me. :sad: At least I can still foster him for a while. Better to have had him in my life a short time rather than no time at all.
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Plus think of the great start you'll give him--and there's always a good chance that you'll get updates once he's found his furever home!

As for his buddies, maybe some new little fosterlings will show up!

Nova sounds so sweet with your guy ...Cody sounds more like hazel's crew

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."