Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Should we get a companion for Monkey (our cat)?

Hi,

We have been thinking whether we should get Monkey (our cat) a companion. Monkey is a 4.5 year old male and we adopted him when he was 7 months old. He is very playful and I feel bad that I cant spend as much time as he probably would like playing with him. He never had much contact with other cats except for the two weeks he spent at the rescue that we adopted him from 4 years ago, at that point they told us he was good with other cats and dogs (but they only had him for two weeks so not much time to really observe him).

His only encounter with another cat is when a neighbour’s cat comes into our back yard or onto our balcony and monkey is behind the sliding door and sniffs or sees him through the netting. Both cats hissed at each other the first time and monkey eventually turned away and lay on the bed with his back to the cat. Since then when monkey sees the neighbour’s cat through the door he looks at him, sometimes sits at the door to watch him, but he doesn’t show any signs of ‘stress’, he is not hiding or freaking out, just the hissing that made me worried a bit. Usually after seeing the cat he just goes to do his thing, like sleep on the bed, etc.

I know a lot of you have multiple cats that get a long great. Do you think Monkey is the kind of cat that can benefit from a companion? Does he even need a companion, maybe it’s me thinking he needs one meanwhile he is all happy without one…. What is your experience, do you find that most cats appreciate a companion?

We found a cat that sounds like a good fit at the rescue where we adopted monkey. The info says the cat is very friendly with all cats and very sociable (I emailed the rescue for more info). If we do decide to adopt another one, this one seems like he would be a good fit… but I’m waiting to hear more from the rescue, I am hoping they will help us find the right fit if we do decide to go ahead with it.

Thanks,

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM
^.^

why not do a couple of trial meetings with the two cats. see if they can adjust. or if monkey will just totally freak out
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

herman1 i am not sure why you would patrol the streets at night to find a cat? its beyond me understanding that. not to mention the fact that those cats likely have a home already..and someone missing them after you take them off the streets?

Masha perhaps you could have a trial period for a new kitty to see if it will work out?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Masha perhaps you could have a trial period for a new kitty to see if it will work out?
The woman i spoke to a few weeks ago said that they strive to find a good fit and that if the cats dont get along we can always try a different cat, I am just hoping it doenst have to come to that.

Do cats actually appreciate a companion or is it us humans assuming that they do?

Old April 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That depends on the cat.

My Jasper would NEVER do well in a one cat home. He loves other cats (not unneutered males though).

Sweet Pea does well with other passive cats as does Puddles.

Some cats seem to take a shine to each other right away, some will never get along.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

The problem with bringing a cat home as a trail, is you already have to take time to introduce a cat to another. Cat introductions can take anywhere from 1 week to a couple of months. You need to keep them in separate rooms, exchange bedding so they can get used to each others scents. It has to be done slowly. So it would almost be unfair to keep another cat for say a month, have them go through all of that and then if they don't get along in the end return the second cat.

If you decide on another cat, yes try to find one that would be a good fit, personality wise, and temperament wise, but it's a commitment.

It took me about about two weeks to introduce Vlad and Oksana to each other as kittens, and about a week to introduce Kiska and Maks to them. However it took me almost 6 months to introduce Czari to the others, so patience is the key.

I think Monkey would greatly benefit from having a companion.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:26 PM

AG, Does Czari play with your other cats now?

I am willing to spend months on the introduction if it will mean that monkey will enjoy the companionship. I dont want him to be stressed needleslly, but i definitely understand the commitment. I have been following your posts abotu czari and saw the progress, that was just amazing.

The cat the we have identified so far as a possible good fit is descripted as 'very friendly - like all cats' so we think that a cat with a very positive attitutude will help monkey come out of his shell.

Old April 20th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
AG, Does Czari play with your other cats now?

I am willing to spend months on the introduction if it will mean that monkey will enjoy the companionship. I dont want him to be stressed needleslly, but i definitely understand the commitment. I have been following your posts abotu czari and saw the progress, that was just amazing.

The cat the we have identified so far as a possible good fit is descripted as 'very friendly - like all cats' so we think that a cat with a very positive attitutude will help monkey come out of his shell.
Masha, Czari will sometimes play with Maks and chase him and vice versa. He's really the only one she "plays" with. She will now and then touch noses with Vlad and Kiska, and rarely Oksana but not really play with them. She hisses and swats a lot, but they all like to be in the same room for the most part.

For her, I think that's great because she was an outside cat living pretty much on her own for a very long time. She never socialized a whole lot with the other cats or people in the complex and for her to be living in close quarters with 4 other cats to me is real progress.

All cats are different. Since your Monkey is an inside cat and has had more socialization and the other cat you get will be the same they may very well come to a point where they will play together quite a bit.

There were times when I never thought it would work with Czari and the others, but they all have come to an understanding and share their space very well.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM

I just remembered that when i came to adopt moneky, the woman mentioned that if i want, i can take antoher cat with him, apprantly he had a 'room mate' for the brieft two week stay at teh rescue....

i wish i could just ask him "Monkey, do you want a friend? If so, what kind?"

Old April 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I just remembered that when i came to adopt moneky, the woman mentioned that if i want, i can take antoher cat with him, apprantly he had a 'room mate' for the brieft two week stay at teh rescue....

i wish i could just ask him "Monkey, do you want a friend? If so, what kind?"
That would have been a perfect time to have taken home both him and his roomy.

Old April 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
That would have been a perfect time to have taken home both him and his roomy.
Yes.. if i woudl do it again i definitely would. But at the time i didnt know many people who had more than one cat so it seemed unusual to take two... now i know plenty of people with more then one

live and learn....

Old April 20th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yes.. if i woudl do it again i definitely would. But at the time i didnt know many people who had more than one cat so it seemed unusual to take two... now i know plenty of people with more then one

live and learn....
Well, hindsight is 20/20 they say. I myself had Vlad for about a month before I began to realize he might benefit from a friend.

Old April 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Masha,I think this boy at the shelter sounds wonderful and i am 100% sure your Monkey will love having a kitty-companion,once he gets used to him,you already know it can be a slow process,but you'll be amply rewarded when they become friends.
I have 3 males,should have been only 2 but things happen
I also think another male is your best choice,as long as he is neutered.
Good Luck
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Chico, how old were your boys when you introduced them? I just received feedback from the rescue, they said that this boy is not good with dogs, but I will work with them to find another guy or girl that can be a good fit with us.

Old April 20th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Live well, laugh often

If Monkey was not very concerned about the visitor cat then that is a pretty good sign to me. Some cats love company and others would be just as happy being the only cat. I have one of each . I think Desi would prefer to be the only cat in our house but for the most part her and Fred have achieved a harmonious relationship. They will never be cuddle buddies and have the occassional minor scrap but they do actually race around the house and play. My point is that even a not super social cat can benefit from another cat as long as the other cat doesn't super stress out the other.
I also feel much better when we occasionally leave them for the weekend (neighbours feed and check on them) knowing they have each other for a bit of company.

Good luck .
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Masha,Rocky was 1yr old when we got Chico,but Chico was a kitten,same when we got Vinnie 7yrs ago,he was a stray kitten.
Chico would love to be an only cat,but Rocky and Vinnie are pals for sure.
Now,a dog would be a different story,they do not like dogs:sad: