Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

View Poll Results: Is this dog part wolf?
Yes 1 25.00%
No 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM

Is this dog part wolf?

Is this dog part wolf?
Attached Images

Old September 14th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

By "part" wolf, do you mean even 5% wolf? Do you have a pic of the whole body? A dog who has only 10% wolf may not show any physical characteristics of a wolf.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
By "part" wolf, do you mean even 5% wolf? Do you have a pic of the whole body? A dog who has only 10% wolf may not show any physical characteristics of a wolf.
This is the only pic I have. I mean any recent wolf cross breeding like being born to wolf dog parents.

I only exclude the events that happened prior to domestication of first dogs.
Basically is this dog a mix of dogs or a wolf dog? You may also add the name of the principal breed you see. I am sure many people already know. Sorry I don't have better pictures.

I have read that although in the genes of dogs they found evidence that domestication happened earlier than many believe but that the dog stopped looking like the wolf around 15000 years ago. (This is obviously very vulgarized, he may still have had some resemblance)
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:15 PM

There is something "wild" looking about him, but I don't think it is wolf.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old September 14th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
Is this dog part wolf?
He look part pitbull to me.
Old September 14th, 2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
He look part pitbull to me.
You are right he is part pitbull. I will tell everyone where he was born when I have at least a few votes. Good Job. Sorry I should say she. She looks so tough though. LOl
Old September 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm not voting. That small photo is nearly half in shadow, on my monitor, and it's only a head shot. Not anywhere near enough of the animal is visible to see if there is any apparent wolf heritage. Not to mention characteristics can be hidden in appearance yet show up in movement and/or behaviour and we are not privy to ways to see that either. If the question had been Does this dog LOOK part wolf I would still say there is not enough to see to tell by.

Is this a trick question to see how many people will fall into snap judgements with little to go on? If so, good one.
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I'm not voting. That small photo is nearly half in shadow, on my monitor, and it's only a head shot. Not anywhere near enough of the animal is visible to see if there is any apparent wolf heritage. Not to mention characteristics can be hidden in appearance yet show up in movement and/or behaviour and we are not privy to ways to see that either. If the question had been Does this dog LOOK part wolf I would still say there is not enough to see to tell by.

Is this a trick question to see how many people will fall into snap judgements with little to go on? If so, good one.
It's not a trick question, just the only photo available of her. There are pictures available of her brothers and they are all head shots. I thought it was a fun exercise. Being that the picture is so bad I will reveal the source now. Also "Is this a trick question to see how many people will fall into snap..." seems like a rhetorical question/accusation based on much projection from your part. It turns the post into character assassination. Let's not go there please.

She and her brothers were born to wolf-dog parents on their way to mission wolf in 2009. The whole litter is up for sponsorship in the membership section of Mission Wolf. When I sponsor a dog I never pick the prettiest wolves who more than likely will be easily sponsored. I like to sponsor an animal that may not get that many sponsors.

I think her and her brothers might not draw the attention that some of the other animals do. I'm a big fan of Mission Wolf. I think drawing attention to the plight of these animals in a fun way is a good idea.

Sorry I will ask Kent if he can post bigger portraits. Many of the wolves have portraits that include the legs. I know that they state that one of her brothers has the long lanky wolf legs but they don't show them either.

This is a photo of Asia. I am definitively going to sponsor this little girl next.

Last edited by kittiesandbirds; September 15th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:31 AM

I wrote back to Kent and asked him to post bigger pictures then head shots.

Aurora (our current sponsorship) with one of Asia's brothers Batman. Image from the Mission Wolf facebook. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Some pictures are of Asia's brothers here as well.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Note; I got permission to use images from the Mission wolf website but not the facebook.

Last edited by kittiesandbirds; September 15th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old September 15th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Now that full pic of her looks like she may have some wolf in her as her legs look very long for her body, as a wolf would have.

I see pittie in her too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 15th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Now that full pic of her looks like she may have some wolf in her as her legs look very long for her body, as a wolf would have.

I see pittie in her too.
Those are pictures of her brothers unless you found a pic of her that I missed. I couldn't really post an image of her beside of a wolf dog and have people suspect she came from mission wolf. I do agree they have those long legs. The back legs are very wolf like as well on one of them. I liked your response best because no human is capable of replacing whole genome sequencing. We can only give an educated guess. I would like to see full body pics of her though. My eldest daughter has decided to sponsor her. The dogs you saw, Batman, Buko and Oreo are still up for grabs. (just joking a dog can be sponsored by many people if they so wish)
Old September 15th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
Those are pictures of her brothers unless you found a pic of her that I missed. I couldn't really post an image of her beside of a wolf dog and have people suspect she came from mission wolf. I do agree they have those long legs. The back legs are very wolf like as well on one of them. I liked your response best because no human is capable of replacing whole genome sequencing. We can only give an educated guess. I would like to see full body pics of her though. My eldest daughter has decided to sponsor her. The dogs you saw, Batman, Buko and Oreo are still up for grabs. (just joking a dog can be sponsored by many people if they so wish)
So when you talk about her "brothers" are you meaning littermates?

And another question you may have the answer to:

Can litter mates have different proportion of wolf DNA in them and therefore may have more of the wolf characteristics?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
So when you talk about her "brothers" are you meaning littermates?

And another question you may have the answer to:

Can litter mates have different proportion of wolf DNA in them and therefore may have more of the wolf characteristics?
You ask such great questions. I have to vulgarize very much on this. The answer is yes.

This is explained in genetics by the fact that each parent gives half his genes to the pup. The half he gives is not always the same. This is explained by Meiosis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiosis

So in essence the pups can look very different. And yes I am speaking of litter mates. I guess I tend to do a bit of Anthropomorphism sorry. Also I am assuming we are talking about pups with the same father, where the breeding was under controlled situation.

Last edited by kittiesandbirds; September 15th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old September 15th, 2012, 02:18 PM

Found a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1_-mQS_FZ0
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Why is the person breeding wolves with pittbulls in the first place? I am against wolves being bred with dogs.
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I would imagine backyard breeding this mix may be quite profitable...SIGH

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
I would imagine backyard breeding this mix may be quite profitable...SIGH
That would be my guess too. Where there's a demand, there will be a supply.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 16th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
That would be my guess too. Where there's a demand, there will be a supply.
Yeah, that is so true and unfortunately there will always be people that think it 'cool' to own a wolf/dog.
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

And to clear up the reason for my post: In my province both pitbulls, wolves and hybrid wolves are banned from pet ownership. A wolf or wolf hybrid might be allowed if documentation proved it came from elsewhere or was bred in captivity from non-native parents. Thus to identify an animal as such is dangerous to innocent look-a-likes. We've all heard news reports of dogs under threat because of how they look to someone.