Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old August 9th, 2007, 01:35 AM

bird flu

i'm really afraid for my Josh! I have him since 7months and he is the love of my life. i know, my friends keep on telling me, he's just a BIRD>. as if that matters.. i love him with all my heart and well, with the bird flu roaming around, i am really afraid of losing my mind.. could you please tell me if i could give tamiflu to my josh if ever he got the bird flu virus?

what i've read at http://www.drugdelivery.ca/bird-flu.aspx makes me even more aware of the disease.. here's it!

Quote:
Do you want to know how vulnerable you really are?

As the migratory birds continue to spread the avian flu virus throughout the world, your common lifestyle could endanger you. Maybe you should wonder whether you really are prepared in case of a new pandemic.

For example, Dr Iea Longini, a well known biostatistician warns keen travelers that they should avoid travelling by air, because “Aero planes re-circulate air which is ideal for spreading a flu virus throughout the whole cabin.”

Dr John Treanor, a researcher of the bird flu vaccine warns both students and teachers that spending your time in a place where lots of people crowd together increases the risk of being infected.
Parents should know that “children are the major transmitters” – according to Longini. Therefore the most exposed individuals are parents as well as teachers.

Lamb also warns us against using any means of public transport because “Anytime people start coughing or sneezing close by, risk of transmission rises.”

Unfortunately, even the most innocent handshake or close indoor seating’s have made churches , mosques and synagogues dangerous places to be in. “Congregating in one room is undoubtedly the way to spread infection,” says Dr Robert Lamb.

Because indoor sports games is an easy way of getting more people infected , most of these sports events might be cancelled if a pandemic is triggered. However, watching the game at a bar, in front of a huge TV screen while surrounded by lots of other people is not a good idea either.

** Highest Risk
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What part of the world are you hailing from, birddish? Bird flu is more prevalent in Asia than is North America, for example. Also, is your bird ever in contact with wild birds? Is your bird ever exposed to domesticated poultry? Do you visit areas where the bird flu might be more common? Do you come in contact with wild birds? If not, I'd say the risk of your or your bird contracting bird flu is very slight.

So far, avian flu is not showing any great facility at crossing over to humans.

As to giving Tamiflu...birds are very sensitive to many chemicals and drugs. I wouldn't risk giving him anything without a vet's advice...and certainly not try any medications on your own if he gets sick. The wrong meds could kill him quickly, especially if he's already sick and stressed. Remember that birds rarely show signs of being ill until they are really in a bad way. So if he starts to show any symptoms at all, a trip to the vet is a good idea.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Swift Tribe

also, check out this site-

http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/poison.htm

many things in the house that are toxic to birds. note Teflon coated cookware. many people make this mistake and their bird dies slowly.

-ashley