Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM

*sigh* yet more Tommy issues:(

Seizures now. Or at least seizure.

As if his other issues weren't enough, now that most of his problems are under control he's developed new ones (as per usual - first gastro, then that got fixed and he lost vision, then that was under control and now this). I woke up yesterday to Tommy having a major seizure... thank goodness he was sleeping on me so I felt it right away. It lasted 2-3 minutes, long enough to wake up hubby, get the baby up and in carseat and wrap Tommy in a big blankie to run to the emerg vet (which turned out to be absolutely useless but really - we were terrified).

No idea about the cause... brain tumor could be possible, and so could low blood sugar combined with his high stress due to our moving and his normal liver chi problems. We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime some major babying is in order and lots of treats and home cooked goodies.

Here's the poor thing recuperating at home after his ordeal... please notice the perfectly wonderful doggy pillow between our pillows at the head of the bed that is going completely unused as he snuggles into Mommy's sweater instead.

I really love my baby boy.
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no. Poor little sweet boy. I hope this isn't something he will have from now on.

Were they able to do tests on him when you too him in to the ER, or are you waiting to see his usual vet?

There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our Gauge had one and only one grand mal seizure in his life. Luckily we were in sight of him when it happened cuz we were on a hike through the woods. We had to sweat out the next few months always wondering if it was going to happen again. So I know what you're going through

The final verdict in Gauge's case was low blood sugar. and that this is just a one-time deal with Tommy, too!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Oh no. Poor little sweet boy. I hope this isn't something he will have from now on.

Were they able to do tests on him when you too him in to the ER, or are you waiting to see his usual vet?

All they wanted to do at the e-vet is send us for a referral for a $1500 MRI. We decided not to go that route, since if it's the worst case scenario (tumor) we would simply treat him as long as he was comfortable - he's been through way too much to do more than that. So, there's not much point right now. Our holistic vet recommended a wait-and-watch approach right now, since he's otherwise fine but just highly stressed out. She's putting together a package for us though in case of another one, with some valium and stuff for him.

He's doing alright now, just sleepy. I just hope we never go through that again, it's scary! I don't know how people with epileptic pets deal with it, so scary to see.
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Our Gauge had one and only one grand mal seizure in his life. Luckily we were in sight of him when it happened cuz we were on a hike through the woods. We had to sweat out the next few months always wondering if it was going to happen again. So I know what you're going through

The final verdict in Gauge's case was low blood sugar. and that this is just a one-time deal with Tommy, too!!
Thanks, Hazel, that makes me feel better! I really think it's the blood sugar thing too, just fits his history really. I'm just so glad I'm home on maternity leave for a bit longer so I don't have to leave him alone!
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,poor little Tommy and you,hopefully this was just a one-time thing,due to stress etc.
Seizures can happen to any animal,it does not always mean there will be more,it just would not be fair,little Tommy and you have been through enough.
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

poor you and puppy, i have a pin that is 11 yrs old today, when he was 2 he had chrystals, at 5 fell off sofa and became parillzed he is 90% he walks with a limp and gets sore in the cold months at 9 he became a diabect and at 10 he went blind in the last 20 months 2 opperations for abecess a. glands so i know when you love a dog its scary, dakota is a real trooper, best of luck to you and your pup, brenda and the pins
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
-

So sorry to hear about Tommy.

Hopefully it was low blood sugar and doesn't happen again.

Good luck and keep us posted and new pics would be nice too.
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Young at Heart

Sorry to hear about Tommy! I hope and pray all will be well soon for all of you!
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM
-

omg it never ends for you and Tommy :sad: I'm hoping it was only stress about all the changes and that he will recover , and no more seizures !
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:51 PM
You can call me DOG!

Think positive and hope that it was just the low blood sugar.

Sending lots of your way.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Live well, laugh often

Awww, poor Tommy :sad:. Hopefully it was just a low blood sugar / stress thing and he will be just fine .
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:02 PM

Thanks for all the kind thoughts!

So far, no further seizures for the pupster. He was kind of quiet for a few days but he seems to be getting back to normal now. We've been cooking up some pork for him every night (his favourite!) to make sure he eats something before bed in case it is a blood sugar thing, since he's too scared of the stairs in the new place to go down and eat during the night if he's hungry.

I've taken quite a few pictures lately, mostly of Lili torturing him as she pulls his ears and fur, but I need to resize them so I'll have to post them later. We don't really let her do it, but her little hands are sometimes faster than we are... and he LETS her. We tell her to be gentle and don't let her little hands grab him, and then he turns around and lets her get away with it. Go figure. He'll stand right beside her, and when she grabs his ear he pulls it away and goes to stand about a half inch further away... yeah, she's not gonna reach you there, uh huh.
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for Tommy's continued good health!

Can't wait for the new pics! What a good boy he is!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I have my fingers crossed for you that the seizure was a one time thing. I have been going through that for 14.5 years now with Keesha. She can go a long time without one and then have two or three in a week. The vet decided unless they were on a regular basis not to medicate her. Her triggers are stress and eating certain people food..... like steak.
Will keep Tommy and you in my thoughts.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
-

Sending more for Tommy.

Looking forward to the pics of him and Lili.
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:23 AM

I'm hoping that's the last time poor Tommy will have to go through that!
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

You know, I have a friend who has a beagle that once or twice a year has a seizure as well. The vet my friend takes him to isn't super concerned, he's pretty healthy in every other way, eats well, plays well. Maybe this was just a one time thing for him. Hopefully things will remain like this, no more seizures.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/