Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Just about out of options

I posted earlier today but have a new problem now, I called around and drove around and no one in Peterborough sells Orijen or Acana. I can get both in Kenora, doesn't really help though as I don't want to switch foods every 6mts.

Now I can get Wellness and Eagle Holistc cat foods in both cities. I have heard of cats haveing FUS problems on Wellness so I am nervous about feeding it. What about Eagle Holistic Select brands. I was thinking the Duck Meal and Oatmeal or the Chicken and rice. Now the rice is Ground Brown Rice. and all the Holistic ones have it in it. One cat is a FUS cat and what is dried egg product? My brain hurts now. I have one other store to check tomorrow as they were closed when I called today but I have a feeling they won't have Orijen or Acana either.

Eagle Duck and Oatmeal
Ingredients: Duck Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Tomato Pomace, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Chicken
Flavor, Carrots, Peas, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Blueberries, Apples, Taurine, Inulin, Choline Chloride, Cranberries, Dehydrated Kelp, Beta-Carotene, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese and Copper, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B 12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone and Cobalt Sulfate, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

If my male would just eat the royal canin urinary so/ph canned(no grains in the canned) without haveing to mix kibble in it, this would be a lot easier.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

You could try calling some of the distributors of Orijen to see if they'd be willing to ship it to you, either by post or courier. In the meantime, start working on some of your local pet value's or other suppliers to get them to stock it. Considering all the food problems, they may be a lot more receptive to it.

Cindy
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM
-

I agree. Keep pestering your local pet stores. Give them the website (www.championfoods.com) and tell them to read the "white paper" on Orijen....it's pretty impressive.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:59 PM

I emailed Orijen earlier today, hopefully they will get back to me, I went on about how I would like to buy their food(and some of my concerns) but can't get it here. I found a few more stores to call tomorrow. The lady at Paulmac' said she would love to sell it but it's a no go with the ower, she's been bugging him for awhile. She did tell me that some pet supply wearhouse in town ships it but not here....weird...I am going to call them to and beg them to sell it to me if I have to. If comes to it(as I am not that impressed by the eagle ingr.) I will have to drive somewhere out of town.

Last edited by dustybird; April 20th, 2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I agree. Keep pestering your local pet stores. Give them the website (www.championfoods.com) and tell them to read the "white paper" on Orijen....it's pretty impressive.
Hehehe... I think you got the wrong link in there...
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:10 PM
-

Whoops.....thanks, I forgot the word "pet". It's www.championpetfoods.com
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:17 PM

Thank you guys, I have been to the website like a hundred times today. I can get feladae(sp) in town but not in stupid Kenora. Should have never left good ol London, lots of stores there sell Orijen and I kick myself as I was just there at Easter. Of course my mom loves to mail me stuff so I could get her to get it for me. Just erks me that I can't get here. Kenora is a hell of a lot smaller than Peterborough.
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:43 PM
-

Global Pet Foods, Ryan's Pet Foods and Pet Value can all get Orijen. Do you not have one of those in Peterborough?
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:47 AM

can you tell I am excited I just found the one and only store in town that sells it. They just got it in for the first time this week. Whooo Woooo, seriously I could cry right now from relief.
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:42 PM
-

That's excellent news. I hope your kitties do well on it.
Old April 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM

Good luck!
Old April 21st, 2007, 01:33 PM

Thanks,

I am now the proud owner of two five pound bags. Lets just hope it doesn't conflict too much with the urinary issues. Forest just needs enough dry mixed into his wet to get him to eat the wet so it should be ok, and my vet will give me something to have on had that will relax the urethra, if he does have a problem he will still be able to pee until I can get to the vet.

I wish I had done this sooner its just all so confusing and I have been brain washed for many years by the vet food reps. Then I worry about falling victum to the fancy packaging and ingredients so its hard to know which ones are real and which ones are just a marketing ploy.

If anyone is in the Peterborough area and wants Orijen they have it All Creatures Great and Small.
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:25 PM

sorry I'm late coming to the thread, I was going to suggest them. They are really nice there, too.
Old April 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Dustybird,good luck with your kitties,mine love Orijen and I am very happy for that,they freefeed on it,but they also eat canned,I cannot get them off Fancy Feast:sad: and I have tried dozens of different canned food
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM

I mixed a little orijen into Stixx's dry food and the little bugger picked out the Orijen and left the old stuff behind, kind of defeats the purpose of slowly switching over. I am still worried about switching Forest becasue of the crystals, I emailed Orijen to see what they say and then will decide for sure, I want to, just don't want to screw him up.

Chico. I found wellness canned to be fairly smelly but can't remember the ingredients. Picky Stixx liked it for a whole month...but then she decided she didn't anymore. Just cannot find a canned food she will eat more than once, as a kitten she ate canned no problem and I only stopped giving it to her as I was tired of throwing it away. She's a good drinker and I was told Orijen gets them to drink more so hoepfully its true....while we are on our road trip to work I am going to get one of those water fountains.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Dustybird,I had a cat prone to crystals years ago,the vet gave me some sort of paste(too long ago to remember the name)he liked it soo much he licked it off my finger and no more crystal problems.
Logic tells me though,wet food is always better if the cat has a problem
I've tried Wellness canned,Old Mother Hubbard and many more,actually just about every kind they have in the store.....
One of my cats(don't know who)had thrown up Orijen this morning
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM

chico2, a friend used that paste for her cats as welll, I think it has cranberries in it. Worked quite well, as I recall.

And Fancy Feast...it's kitty crack, I swear. Once a cat has it, you can't get them to eat anything else *sigh*. Only one of my cats won't touch it, he wants the Snappy Tom cat food. Little beggar has expensive tastes .

As for dry food, Orijin has been a hit with a couple of the cats...Wellness Core, not so much...the kittens still like the Nutro Natural Choice Kitten...Prairie Raw Instinct wasn't a big hit. The Pet Valu Performatrim Ultra Lamb & Rice went down okay. I think I'm giving them too many choices and they're getting confused.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah,I know,they would absolutely not touch Perfomatrim
Also,many years ago(I am old )I looked after a neighbors cats,she fed them canned food with real big pieces of fish,looked like Sardines,I bet my cats would like that,but again I don't remember,it was at least 20yrs ago...