Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Crying Kitten

Hi all, I brought home a 6 week old kitten two days ago. I realise how much of a mistake this was because he's too young to be away from his mother at this age, which raises a concern of mine -his constant crying at night.

I am a student that rents a double bedroom (downstairs) with a little corridor/cupboard that leads out from my room via a door and goes allt he way underneath the stairs. Now, when I brough Milo home yesterday, I set him down in his bed, next to my bed, with a cuddly toy and a couple of hours into the night he jumped on my bed and woke my boyfriend and I up. no matter how many time sI removed him, he refused to lay still until he was next to me so I put him in this corridor under the stairs with his bed litter tray/food/ water and a feew toys (with plenty of space to play) and a small lamp. He cried for a bit and then either we fell asleep orhe did until I awoke to him meowing again at about 7am, so I let him out and fed him

Anyway, tonight, he has had to go back in there again (for obvious reasons) and he has been crying for the past hour on/off with him starting up again and gradually getting louder everytime he hears movement in my room.

I've scoured the net for options and advice (bearing in mind I DO NOT want him on my bed -seeing as he is also being treated for fleas) but I also do not want my other house mates growing impatient with us both for his excessive meowing.

Alll I ask is a) will this EVER stop if I keep putting him in there and ignoring his meows every night? b) if anyone else has experienced this, roughly how long are we looking at and c) what if I open the door and spray him with his water bottle? will he get confused and not understand what he is doing wrong or is he even far too young to understand this reinforcement system?

PLEASE HELP, Ilove him to bits but I also need my sleep and I don't want to have togive him away because of moany housemates!
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there a reason why you won't allow Milo to sleep with you? He's very small, my guess is he's looking for some comfort.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:18 PM

yeah, I won't let him because he has fleas (the owner didn't deflea him it appears), he likes to claw me and I'm already up to my elbows in kitten scratches and because he's so tiny, I read somewhere it's best not to let him in my bed at this age as I may crush him in his sleep. The thought scares me way too much
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you taken him to the vet? He should get checked out and they can probably give him something. When I got Vlad, he was infested with fleas. I think he must have been about 10 weeks old when I took him to the vet and they gave him a pill that killed the fleas on him within 2 hours.

As for clawing, a little trim of his nails might help, and getting him a scratching post. When he starts to scratch at you, just divert his attention with a toy.

I've slept with all mine since they were kittens. Oksana was the smallest when I got her, she was just about 8 weeks old. I just made sure she slept next to my pillow.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old June 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the advice but I'm just one of those people that doesn't believe animalsand humans should share beds together - also, my boyfried doesnot like it at all. I guess it was rather silly of me to believe that having to share a room with Milo, he'd keep to his own bed all of the time.

As for his fleas, I've given him some flea tablets and sprayed my home and I'm finding dead ones everywhere and on him so it must be working right?

I also have to option of moving his bed etc to the hallway because there is a huge space in front of my room but again - it's the crying and the neighbours
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Crying Kitten

This little kitten is crying because she's lonelyl. Cats are very affectionate and like to be close so perhaps you should find her a home where her needs will be met.
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Kitty pimp

put apiece of clothing you are wearing in the bed you want him in

kits like to sleep with thier friends

try to wear him out by playing before sleeping

get to a vet and get ris of the fleas sprying is not hea;thy for you or milo

goor luck i know kittens can be a pain but your are an angel
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks Jim, I will be off to the vet ASAP and I didn't even think of the clothing idea! Will try it now
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM

TPettet I fully understand your point but I would like to persevere. I do give him more than enough attention, I just feel the needs to be boundaries, after all, he IS an animal. I'd rather have my own personal space when sleeping and amsure I am not the only person that feels this way
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi
Like u said he was too young to be adopted, so he is missing his momma and any litter mates he had. Kittens should not be taken from their momma until they are around 12 weeks old. He is lonely and probably scared at being by himself and in a strange place, with strangers. would u spray a human baby if it was crying? I would also not put flea stuff on a kitten without talking to a vet first. That would be a lot of nasty chemicals on a unaged aged kitten.

If u got a kennel for it, big enough for food water and a litter box he could then be in the bedroom with you.

It's really too bad u didn't give it a bit more thought before u brought this little one home.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I second Tundra's thoughts. Really, six weeks old is way too young to be taken from mom and littermates. The poor thing is desperately lonely and terrified. When he tries to get some comfort from the person who is supposed to love him he is sent to another room. He doesn't know what is going on. All he knows is he was taken from his mom and siblings by a person who he doesn't know. And you want to spray this little thing? Oh my!

As for "he is an animal. I'd rather have my own personal space when sleeping and am sure I am not the only person that feels this way". You won't find many on this site that feel that way. You also wouldn't want to be in my house. I am afraid at any given time you can be visited by one of two dogs or one of five cats. Yes, they do share my bed. Willingly. I wouldn't have it any other way. We take responsibilty to have these pets in our lives. Shooing it away when it is inconvenient to you does no favours to the poor kitten or you.

What pills did you give him for fleas? Over the counter stuff you buy at a supermarket? It probably is doing more harm than good. That stuff plain does not work. Not to mention I am pretty sure it says on the package not to administer to a kitten less than eight weeks old. And spraying is deadly to the kitten as well as the fleas. Get the baby to a vet asap to be treated properly for fleas as well as worms. It sure doesn't sound like this kitten has had a great start on life with fleas already.

You could try a large dog crate as Tundra stated. It can be set up as a little home for him with lots of toys, litter, food and water. But please don't leave him in it all the time. Only use it at bedtime.

Remember, boyfriends come and go. Your pet should be in your life for a long long time. All the little thing wants to do is be loved. If you aren't willing to put the time in to reassuring and loving this kitten that he is in a good home then you really should think about rehoming. Good luck.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Kitty pimp

ok guys lets not pile on here she realises iit was a mistake in her first post

what should she do give it back?

she gonna go to the vet get rid of the fleas is kit had fleas when she fot it she pribaly saved its life

lets give advice and not condemnation ok?
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
What pills did you give him for fleas? Over the counter stuff you buy at a supermarket? It probably is doing more harm than good. That stuff plain does not work. Not to mention I am pretty sure it says on the package not to administer to a kitten less than eight weeks old. And spraying is deadly to the kitten as well as the fleas.
It actually says that it is for kittens from 2 weeks old on the packet. And I did so because I was advised to do so by at least 3 pet stores before I purchased the medicine.

Again, I will reinforce yes, Ilove him, yes he's a baby but he's a BABY animal. Out of personal chocie, I'd rather not share my bed with an ANIMAL, an animal covered in fleas at that. You may argue that no one on this site would agree with me but for every person on this site that doesn't, I know about ten animal lovers that will not and do not allow their pets into their beds. Simple as that
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM

And to be honest I don't realy appreciate being told that because I don't want an animal on my bed I'm 'not giving him the attention and affection he needs'

I just don't want him on my bed is all, for the same reasons that others would not want him on their kitchen counters etc.

I can assure you that this kitten isfar from neglected. If anything, I smother him a bit TOO much
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Kitty pimp

i hear ya
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM

I understand not wanting pets in your bed. I am the same way - I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I like my bedroom as my "kitten free" zone since they love knocking everything off of my dressers and attacking my feet under the covers. I'd be scared to squish them in bed too.

Where did you get the kitten from? The rescue agency I got mine from has been very helpful with any little kitten problems.

I think the best idea is going to the vet for your kitty's first check up. Take care of the fleas and also please watch for diarreah. If a kitten is stressed its easy to get coccidia. Its also very contagious so depending on the living conditions and general health of the kitten and its littermates in his first 6 weeks, he could get it. Ask you vet about the crying too.

I wouldn't punish him by spraying him with water. Is there any way you could section off an area for him in your room with a large dog crate or x-pen?
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Catlover2

Take him back

Can you return this lonely unhappy baby 6 wk. kitten to whomever you got it from for about 3-4 weeks and then get him? It would be worth your while to offer to pay "board" even tho the person you got him from was ignorant in knowing what kittens need. He needs his mom to nurse on, as he is way too young to be taken away---11-12 wks. is an appropriate time to leave his mom and littermates. He needs his litter mates to play hard and roughhouse with for at least 3 wks. to learn to control his claws and biting. This is a very important part of his proper development. He will not understand spraying water in his face for crying for comfort of his mom and littermates and now you are their substitute...that would be cruel to spray him in his face.

You will have a much more balanced kitten if you take him back to person you got him from and then get him in a few weeks. Please consider this option for the sake of this baby.
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Can you return this lonely unhappy baby 6 wk. kitten to whomever you got it from for about 3-4 weeks and then get him? It would be worth your while to offer to pay "board" even tho the person you got him from was ignorant in knowing what kittens need. He needs his mom to nurse on, as he is way too young to be taken away---11-12 wks. is an appropriate time to leave his mom and littermates. He needs his litter mates to play hard and roughhouse with for at least 3 wks. to learn to control his claws and biting. This is a very important part of his proper development. He will not understand spraying water in his face for crying for comfort of his mom and littermates and now you are their substitute...that would be cruel to spray him in his face.

You will have a much more balanced kitten if you take him back to person you got him from and then get him in a few weeks. Please consider this option for the sake of this baby.
I totally agree - if you could do this it would be ideal.
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
ok guys lets not pile on here she realises iit was a mistake in her first post

what should she do give it back?

she gonna go to the vet get rid of the fleas is kit had fleas when she fot it she pribaly saved its life

lets give advice and not condemnation ok?

Sorry you feel that way Jim. No condemnation intended. I just don't sugarcoat things.
catlover2's advise is great. It would be the right thing to do although I just don't see it happening. The original owner will probably not take back a kitten he/she has already been paid for. This kitten needs socialization and the teachings only his mother can give him.

Good luck with the kitten.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by Ford; June 14th, 2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old June 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I'm a softy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla1990 View Post
TPettet I fully understand your point but I would like to persevere. I do give him more than enough attention, I just feel the needs to be boundaries, after all, he IS an animal. I'd rather have my own personal space when sleeping and amsure I am not the only person that feels this way
..whoa... an animal eh? my cats certainly are not.. he is a spirit just like you, just happened to be wrapped in fur, big deal, they are cuddlier that way, personally I like my people wrapped in fur..

why exactly did you get a cat again? Especially one so young? See the thing is with cats, it is not really a good idea to even try to train them to not go in certain spots, they kinda do what they like, either you love that and you should have a cat, or you don't, and you should get a ceramic one, or a stuffed one, but definitely not an alive one.

He is a BABY, you took on the responsibility for him, and that is not shutting him out alone, he was just with mom and litter mates for goodness sake can you imagine what he is going through poor thing!
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Crying Kitten

Very well said IUvMyLab, but some people just don't get it.
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Kitty pimp

hi ya kayla how did it go with the used shirt did it settle moew kit down?

can u ask the place you got her from for a good size crate to keep her in by you at night?
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Compromised account

Not to sound condemning or condescending in any way, but if you intend to have this kitten for casual entertainment, when it's convenient for you to pet it or whatever - maybe you should have thought about getting a stuffed one.

My guess is that you bought the kitten from a pet store, where its been neglected and infested with parasites. Yet, you bothered to go to a few pet stores for flea medication, rather than have the kitten examined by a professional. There may be further problems with the kitten.

I just want to understand, why did you get the kitten? Was it the famous AWWW factor?

You mentioned you were a student...What is going to happen with the kitten when you aren't home? He could get into major trouble, he could chew wires, choke on things, get electricuted...the list is long.

He is too small, he NEEDS you, and you lock it away. And wanna spray it to correct it's behaviour. Ummm.. Yea. Good luck with that. This is how these kittens end up in shelters or worse.

Best advice I can offer is try to find it a suitable home. And if you yet wish to "persevere", review your actions and see where you can do better. A kitten at that age eats, sleeps and plays in very short spans of time, so even if you tire it out before bedtime, it'll sleep about 2-3 hours, then it will wake up and meow for food or attention, THATS WHY they should be with their mommies. Gradually, this will increase. I just want you to understand that unless you are willing to suck it up and do what it takes - there's no point of you persevering. Also, further down the road, you will need to think about such things as neutering the cat, and providing adequate veterinary attention, which can and may be expensive.

Again, just my ...I tell it like I see it, and as 14+ mentioned, some of us don't sugarcoat things here. And yes, both my cat and my dog share my bed, in fact, the cuddle time is my FAVORITE time of the day and I truly hope you will experience that too someday.

Good luck, whatever route you choose to take.
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Kitty pimp

arghhh she said she made a big mistake why is everyone jumping on her?
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Jim, nobody is jumping on nobody. She made the mistake by getting the kitten - fine.

But she is making further mistakes, that ARE under her control NOT to make. Mistakes are bad choices. If people can learn from other's mistakes - that would be an amazing accomplishment.
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a thought,this little baby is undoubtedly adorable,just like any kitten/puppy,but are you aware a cat can live to be 20 yrs old,it's a huge commitment,for a student,renting a room or two.
I've seen it too often how students(not all)will get a kitten and later discard it,when it's no longer tiny and cute,or move on and live the cat behind.
I would really suggest,you try to find this baby a good home,I am not being nasty here,just thinking what is best for this little baby.
Right now he needs love and security,it's a big scary world for one too young to be on his own:sad:

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I'm a softy

Quote:
It really is not jumping, it is honest feelings and opinions. This is where changes have to be made. I encounter a calvelier attitude about the needs of pets a lot, and the fact that these issues have come up so early in their relationship worries me, and probably others too. I know I am not the only one by far that has a house full of foster cats right now, and this is where they come from, people like it because it is cute, but them have to get rid of it because it scratches/allergies/bothering neighbors/don't have time/wont stay off the bed..ect.. Many of my fosters I have paid for their care out of my own pocket, and it is not fair. These babies deserve better right from the start when someone decides to take on the responsibility, her boyfriend is not enthused either and that worries me a lot too.. They cannot be viewed as just an animal ect.. That is what leads to so many problems down the road and for people like me and others to pick up the pieces..

We are just sharing our true opinions, that is what we are here to do.. Sorry if what I say comes off badly, but it is just as I feel.
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

That's all very true. She came here asking people with experience what she should do. Well, that's what people have done.

Old June 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Kitty pimp

well she hasnt posted in a few days
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Kitty pimp

i wonder why she left good luck kayla

why exactly did you get a cat again? Especially one so young? See the thing is with cats, it is not really a good idea to even try to train them to not go in certain spots, they kinda do what they like, either you love that and you should have a cat, or you don't, and you should get a ceramic one, or a stuffed one, but definitely not an alive one.

Not to sound condemning or condescending in any way, but if you intend to have this kitten for casual entertainment, when it's convenient for you to pet it or whatever - maybe you should have thought about getting a stuffed one.

I second Tundra's thoughts. Really, six weeks old is way too young to be taken from mom and littermates. The poor thing is desperately lonely and terrified. When he tries to get some comfort from the person who is supposed to love him he is sent to another room. He doesn't know what is going on. All he knows is he was taken from his mom and siblings by a person who he doesn't know. And you want to spray this little thing? Oh my!

As for "he is an animal. I'd rather have my own personal space when sleeping and am sure I am not the only person that feels this way". You won't find many on this site that feel that way. You also wouldn't want to be in my house. I am afraid at any given time you can be visited by one of two dogs or one of five cats. Yes, they do share my bed. Willingly. I wouldn't have it any other way. We take responsibilty to have these pets in our lives. Shooing it away when it is inconvenient to you does no favours

Tags
crying, kitten, meowing, sleep