Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 19th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Victoria Day fireworks and the boys didn't bark once.

I was wondering how Baxter and Bentley were going to react to the fireworks in the neighborhood. As soon as I heard them start, I took the boys outside for their before bed play hour. Baxter growled once when the first one went off, but after that, they didn't even lift their heads with all the bangs and what not. My first 2 dogs were terrified of fireworks, these 2 don't even pay attention. You gotta like that.

Cindy
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

That's real good.Jag is the same way doesn't even bother.which is good i can't imagine what it would be like to have a dog that is fearful of the noise.the stress the poor things would be under
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
That's real good.Jag is the same way doesn't even bother.which is good i can't imagine what it would be like to have a dog that is fearful of the noise.the stress the poor things would be under
I could hear dogs in the neighbourhood barking. I heard some of the wild birds in the area sqawking and flying around in the dark too. I've often thought that fireworks should not be allowed except for in designated parks and city run shows.

Cindy
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I could hear dogs in the neighbourhood barking. I heard some of the wild birds in the area sqawking and flying around in the dark too. I've often thought that fireworks should not be allowed except for in designated parks and city run shows.

Cindy
I agree other then sparklers i don't buy fireworks.
i didn't hear any neighbourhood dogs barking.which i'm surprised they sit out there and bark all the time.
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I wish I could say our guys did not bother.

But, our Briar is terrified of thunder, lightning and fireworks. He had a bad evening. He is now 11 and it seems to get worse every year.

What did yu do with your other dogs that were terrified?:
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
-

I'm glad they're ok with this ! It's no fun to have scared dogs. Bailey (and late Daisy) hates fireworks and thunderstorms. Which sucks because I loooove thunderstorms

Sylvie , I can tell you that with mine , nothing worked. I read somewhere to put a blanket on them so they won't feel the thunder as much , didn't work. I always ignore that there's a storm , dancing , singing , listen to music real loud , to show them this can be fun , nope , didn't work. I had some kind of rescue remedy from the vet but it has to be administrated one hour prior ... and it's very hard to guess one hour before the storm !
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
I wish I could say our guys did not bother.

But, our Briar is terrified of thunder, lightning and fireworks. He had a bad evening. He is now 11 and it seems to get worse every year.

What did yu do with your other dogs that were terrified?:
Nothing worked with our first dog. We never show fear or concern at thunderstorms or fireworks. We actually love a good storm. Freddie seemed to get worse with age as well.
Yogi learned to not get too upset with storms. I would take him out during them and he seemed to realize that other than getting wet, there was nothing to fear. Fireworks on the otherhand, he never got used to.

Cindy
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Great news!
I had one who hated storms and fireworks too. She used to hide under any legs available. Almost knocked me off mine a few times. Keesha barks at the noise. Nothing scares her.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

You can desensitize them too different sounds and keep 24hr access to a safe place incase your not home when it starts.
I'm just really luck Jag doesn't get bothered by them.i think my bro had something to do with it also he is a big X box fan and played his games loud.and had alot of games with guns in them and alot of the fireworks around here the last 2 years sound like guns being fired off.
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Good boys!

I love thunderstorms too, only Molly is not a fan at all. If available, she prefers to hide in the bathtub (though I don't have one at home so she just hides under my desk), I hate to do it, but I try just to ignore her, act like normal, she won't play or anything with me so it's hard to distract her). Seems like it's a hard fear to deal with.

Oddly enough I remember the night I got her there were fireworks and I didn't think twice about them and neither did she. We haven't really been around fireworks since so i'm not sure how she might react. I hope fireworks bring fond memories for her
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you everyone. It is good to know that we are not alone with our afraid furkid.

If anyone ever finds out a way to stop this fear, please, please let me know.

He can go from to in one second flat and he knows before we do that there is a storm coming. My biggest concern is that he will hurt himself when we are at work.

Once again thanks everyone, it is nice to be involved with such a good caring group of people.

Sylvie
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:28 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post

Thank you everyone. It is good to know that we are not alone with our afraid furkid.

If anyone ever finds out a way to stop this fear, please, please let me know.

He can go from to in one second flat and he knows before we do that there is a storm coming. My biggest concern is that he will hurt himself when we are at work.

Once again thanks everyone, it is nice to be involved with such a good caring group of people.

Sylvie
You can get a cd with thunderstorms on it.if your going to listen to first.do it with out the dog hearing it.then when your ready for the dog.make sure he/she is laying calmly when you turn on the cd make sure the volume is turned right down.slowly turn the volume up till you see the ears just slightly lift at the base of the head.and leave the volume at that level.when the dog is totally relaxed repeat the process.and also do it in different rooms and in the car.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the advice Angeldogs

I will try to find that CD. Hope it works. Feel sorry for the little guy, but I just ignore him and carry on as if nothing has changed. He is not bad when we are there, but acts out when we are not there.

Once again, thank you everyone for your advice and support.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Make sure he a safe spot/hiding that he can have access to 24/7.so when your not home he can go to his safe spot to feel safe and calm down
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I always keep all the blinds drawn while we're at work as well so if there is any lightening, they can't see it. That used to freak my first dog out as much as the thunder.

Cindy
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad to hear they aren't bothered by fireworks, cindy! That'll make life easier.

7 of ours don't care for them...the 8th (Ember) actually wants to run out on the deck to watch them! He's always loved loud noises. The rest of the Pack thinks he's .

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."