Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old July 29th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Hope I did the right thing...

I was at the beach today and saw a little ball of fuzz run across the beach, of course with Nolie and her buddy not far behind. The poor little thing was probably scared to death. I cried as I saw it run into the crashing waves and cold waters of Lake Superior, I said a little prayer for the poor thing as I saw it bob in the waves for a few minutes and then disappear

But wait.... I walked a few feet down the beach and saw a sodden little clump of feathers on the beach, the little guy/girl had washed up on shore.

So, i picked up the little lifeless body, fearing for the worst but, after a big sneeze, the tiny thing started chirping

I had no idea what to do with the little thing, I was far from home, out on the beach with two dogs (who may have thought the little thing would make a nice snack) so I took the frozen little thing in my hand, held it close to my body for warmth and took it with me as we continued our walk back towards the car.

After about 20min, it's feathers started to fluff up and it stopped shivering. I opened my hand to give it a couple of puffs of warm air to get the final feathers fluffed and the little thing jumped from my hand and scampered off under a little spruce. Just at that moment I heard a call from a very similar sounding bird... so it gave me hope that it might be mom .

I have no idea if my little fuzz ball will survive but I will give a few more prayers for the little one

I think it was a baby Killdeer... given the shape of it's wings and little "squeeks"

A couple of pics for you (my thumb gives a size reference... it was about the size of an egg... but it had HUGE feet! )

and he/she grows big and strong
Attached Images

and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like you did exactly the right thing, otter! I suspect the little one will do just fine and maybe has learned a valuable lesson about avoiding predators! (Run for cover on dry land! )

Cute little bugger!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:25 PM
~Cat Servent~

aw it's sooo wee! from us too!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww, what a cute little thing. I'm sure its mommy will find him/her.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww, otter, you are a birdie . Momma bird is probably not far away and will offer her baby some cuddles and warmth as soon as they are reunited.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Mom was probably near. They don't like to leave their babies. A few times I had to fish baby goslings out of sewer drains. Mom was always near by watching and flying over head. Good feeling when they were reunited.

Hopefully the little guy will be ok. Because of you, u gave him a second chance.