Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 11th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey all you cat people

How does one remove cat urine (and its' charming odour) from their front door area? What works best for you? One of the neighbourhood feline residents has taken a shine to our front door and area, and it's reallllly stinkin'.

Any suggestions?
Old January 11th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

We had this problem with a house we moved into. It was soaked into the floor boards. We tried a few different things, and bought some urine remover from PetSmart, and all we wound up with is a floor that smelled like a cat peed in a flower garden. My wife's brother worked for Georgian Downs at the time and brought over some stuff they use for the stable floor for horses, and that worked really well. I don't know if we have it anymore, so I don't know if I can find out what it was called. Maybe try a horse-type place, or a farm supply store?
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Hey there :)

Wow, what a coincidence. There are a few neighbourhood kitties that have also taken a shine to my porch area (the door blew off in a huge windstorm), and have been happily peeing on my carpets Anyways, I went to Petsmart and bought this stuff called Petzyme (it's an enzyme cleaner). It takes 1 - 2 applications and it worked like a charm. Now if I could just get them to stop pooing in the flower beds . Anyways, there is also the oil, Patchouli that works. It is supposed to work on tom cats, but in my mom's experience, it worked on discouraging all the cats from peeing on her car . Wish you luck
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I just cannot figure out why they keep showing up so much in the past few nights (our cat is an indoor cat and spayed). Hubby suggested letting Bear out the front door as a deterrent....lol
Old January 11th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmom
Hubby suggested letting Bear out the front door as a deterrent....lol
That was my idea, until my wife was telling me Daisy was afraid to go out the door when the cat was in the backyard. My big bad pitbull *slaps forehead* I'm so embarassed.

It seems to have stopped coming around and upsetting our animals, but I had decided I was taking it for a trip to the OSPCA if it didn't stop. I couldn't take anymore wake-up calls from our cat going psycho at 2 am because it was in our window, or damaged screens, torn up gardens, paw prints and scratches on my cars, etc.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

BIG BAD PITBULL!!!! LMAO!!!!

All the cat would ever have to do is lift her paw towards Bear and he'd be hiding behind me (he's gotten a few good slashes across the nose when he's bugged Aerial too much).

I can see the kitty paw prints, but have yet to find said kitty. Am not pleased.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Question Another suggestion to keep the cat from coming back...

I've always heard people saying to sprinkle crushed red pepper in the place you want to keep cats out of... My mom has had a terrible time w/ cats digging in her flower pots to go potty in the summer time & she does this. I guess it kind of tingles/burns on their paws (?) & they don't like that. I hope no one thinks this is inhumane ... never done it myself, just heard of it.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Big bad pitpull indeed, lol If he is anything like "my" chocolate lab, he is a sookie!! (But that's a good thing!) Last summer, I had the dog outside and a friend - the one who looks after my kitty and my rabbit before her when I am away - came to to visit. She was scared of my poor sookie. But he showed her dogs can be fun!!! And just big furry babies, not scary at all!

As for the original question here, I've always just used Javex and baking soda and water. Vinegar and water may work but not as well. I have not tried any of the other products on the market.

If you do have an animal though and use Javex to wash it out, you need to have an extra you ccan use while the other one dries out. And it needs to be thoroughly washed out. In the summer, I take them in the backyard and use the spary from the water hose and let it dry in the sun.

Rabbit urine was worse than the cat variety for me so I found Javex was the only thing that worked well.
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddlstn02
I've always heard people saying to sprinkle crushed red pepper in the place you want to keep cats out of... My mom has had a terrible time w/ cats digging in her flower pots to go potty in the summer time & she does this. I guess it kind of tingles/burns on their paws (?) & they don't like that. I hope no one thinks this is inhumane ... never done it myself, just heard of it.

Tried that at our old house. Found the cats eating it. Oy vey.
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM

I use "Natures Miracle" and have had great results.
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmom
Tried that at our old house. Found the cats eating it. Oy vey.
LOL figures!
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I wondered what THEIR poopies were like after THAT. Heeheeheee.

This cat seems to be going right on the outdoor carpet right outside the front door, and our diva RUNS between the front door and the front bay window. Also, all of this seems to happend about 5am when I'm getting ready for work. Not the best smell first thing in the morning!