Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 29th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Question dog had a possible stroke - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

Monday, my collie dog was fine on Tuesday we had to rush her to the vet due to abnormal behavior. She started walking into things, not acting like she knew where she was. She doesn't respond when called and stares blankly at the wall or whatever. She's 10 years old and has arthritis in her hind legs but now we have to carry her up the stairs and hold her water dish up to her face so she knows to drink, she hasn't eaten very much, and has had a couple of accidents on the carpet. The vet said that all her tests came back fine as well as her x-rays???? But she is not normal anymore, she doesn't bark, she doesn't respond? It is very sad, and we hate seeing her suffer, but the vet said that it could be an inner ear infection or a tumor!!! But never gave us definates for either one, what are we supposed to do, does anyone know? :sad:
Thanks.
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Well, this is just my opinion, but I'd get the dog to another vet. If it is an inner ear infection, shouldn't s/he have prescribed some kind of antibiotic or something? And if it's a tumor, shouldn't s/he have suggested a scan to confirm?

I wish you and your dog the best of luck, whatever it turns out to be. Please keep us posted.
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

This depends on how far you want to take it. Could be a stroke, or as the vet said - a tumour or even something else.

I suggest another vet as well.
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Administrator

It is entirely possible that your pet has suffered some cerebral vascular incident, better known as stroke. Certainly meningitis, acute blindness and brain tumor are also possibilities. These would not show up on blood results necessarily.

MRI or CAT scans usually diagnosis the problem, however a spinal tap may also be necessary to give a complete answer. If this is a stroke, then rehabilitation can take a long time to resolve the symptoms, and may not improve beyond a certain point.

Treatment depends on the cause. Ask your veterinarian for a referral to a teaching hospital to further address this problem.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM

My dog is doing the same thing any updates???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycat View Post
Monday, my collie dog was fine on Tuesday we had to rush her to the vet due to abnormal behavior. She started walking into things, not acting like she knew where she was. She doesn't respond when called and stares blankly at the wall or whatever. She's 10 years old and has arthritis in her hind legs but now we have to carry her up the stairs and hold her water dish up to her face so she knows to drink, she hasn't eaten very much, and has had a couple of accidents on the carpet. The vet said that all her tests came back fine as well as her x-rays???? But she is not normal anymore, she doesn't bark, she doesn't respond? It is very sad, and we hate seeing her suffer, but the vet said that it could be an inner ear infection or a tumor!!! But never gave us definates for either one, what are we supposed to do, does anyone know? :sad:
Thanks.
I was wondering if you found out what was wrong with your dog, my dog is doing the same thing today. Was it a Stroke???
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM

My dog is doing the same thing any updates???

I was wondering if you found out the outcome??? Was it a stroke?? My dog is having a hard time today.

thanks
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
-

kimbadog this post is 3 three years old and it doesn't look like the Op has returned since then. If you are concerned, it is always the best bet to take your dawg to the Vet and have them examined if only to put your mind at ease. let us know how you make out.
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:24 AM
-

I agree. Take your dog to the vet for a check-up and please post an update in a new thread.

Good luck.