Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Recommended Vet for Spaying

Anyone have a good recommendation for a place to get my dog spayed in T.O? Most vets I have called seem to be around $250 range, just wondering if there were any cheaper spots?
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:42 PM
-

Check with THS - I thought they did a low-cost spay/neuter clinic once yearly. I've been told the Bluecross animal hosp. on Danforth is much less expensive than other clnics for just about everything but I don't have any direct experience with them I'm afraid.
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Do you not have a regular vet that you go to?
The cost of spay does not include an examination the dog has to have an exam if it's not been to that vet recently. Also never get spay or other surgery if the dog is sick or has 'recently' been vaccinated.
Bluecross on the Danf is reasonable but they don't keep them for recovery very long so be prepared to take some time off work/school that day and the next to be with your doggie .
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Performance Spaniels

Yeah.. If it isn't your regular vet, you may have to pay addition fees to have the dog examined, and bloodwork (some places include, some not) So you may want to factor in extra expenses you weren't thinking of initially by calling other clinics.

Ex roomie her dad was a vet. People would call looking for the cheapest s/n price possible.. so he'd remind them that in not being a current client, that there was also an exam fee not included involved.
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:36 AM

thanks everyone. We just adopted her and have been to a few different vets, one for initial checkup, one for a skin problem she had. Wasn't sure if I liked either, so thought I would check out any recommendations...but didn't think about the Exam cost, should probably go back to the first place that we went to then...
Thanks all!
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Not to play devil's advocate but if you adopted the dog.. wasn't the cost of altering included in the adoption fee/donation?
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:58 AM

We got a $100 back from the rescue agency, but the whole thing was not covered. She was in heat when we got her, so we had to wait 6 weeks after to get the surgery done. I would prefer to wait longer, apparently the longer the better (but still before the next one obviously) but we had to sign a contract saying it would be done in 6 weeks.
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:12 AM

S/N Clinic

There's a spay/neuter clinic on Dixie, North of Eglinton in Mississauga that is reasonable price and good to deal with. (according to a friend who has had multiple pets spayed/neutered there)
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

oh dear... not a good idea to send a dog out in heat to someone.. mistakes happen but would think the rescue would set up a low cost spay for you as from the sounds of it you aren't going to find one to match that $100 refund.. BTW, why did they refund the $100? and what was the full adoption fee? Normally rescues have a vet they use and do all of that for the adopter, not the adopter doing all the leg work. Just not normal practice but sounds like you are trying to do the right thing for her.