Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old August 2nd, 2005, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

That's a great pic,SOS,Calla is a beauty :love:
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:46 PM

She really is. I used to visit SOS's board every day just to check her out, and when her pic vanished from the site I was both disappointed and filled with hope for her.

Thanks for the wonderful news, SOS.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:24 PM

Shaku had his operation today. I'm leaving to go pick him up in a few minutes. The vet called, she said he's fine, and that they cleared the mites from his ears (the black mess was still there, deep in his ears, even though he had the meds). She said they also cut off a few more clumps of matted hair.

I'm glad it's done, and Shaku will be glad about the hair, anyway. I kept combing him, but some of the matted bits were just too much to tackle, but he kept trying to pick at them. Now he's going to be a nice shiny sort of long-haired black cat, and with the sweetest temperament imaginable.
Old August 6th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I let my other cats see Shaku for the first time today. There was a bit of posturing and growling on the part of my older cats, but no attacks. Shaku just stood there, pretty close to the ground, not at all aggressive (his hair and tail were normal-sized). After a few minutes of silent stand-off, I put Shaku back in his safe room, and gave them each a treat.

Taking this slowly. My feral cat is the one who reacted most strongly. She let forth a growl that was not quite a growl, then a high-pitched and eerie sound, almost like a keeing.

I didn't want to take a chance that she would go into feral attack mode, that's pretty scary to see. Right now, she's walking around the house, smelling all the places where Shaku went. I hope she'll get used to his scent and accept him.
Old August 6th, 2005, 01:49 PM

SOS Miow,

I spoke to my neighbour about the pet fair. She said that she'd thought about it and decided not to get another cat. The cat was originally her husband's, but her two young daughters lived with that cat all their lives, so I was a little surprised at her decision, and sad to discover that she was relieved that there would be less cat hair in her house.

Good luck with your pet fair. You have some sweet cats there, I hope they get good homes.
Old August 6th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

MoodIndigo,I am soooo happy for Shaku :love: Seeing he is not aggressive,maybe your feral girl will eventually accept his precense.
He sounds like a beautiful cat,do you have any pictures to post?
I had a longhaired black cat once,his name was Sam Spade(Sammy)a wonderful guy,he was put down just before his 19th birthday due to cancer :sad: He was a HS kitten,covered in fleas and ears full of earmites,but turned out beautifully after treatment.
Old August 6th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Very few adult male cats will even fight back if attacked by a female, but I would keep him away from the other cats until his "tomcat" odour fades away.

Intact (or recently neutered) cats make others nervous. I'm sure everything will be okay.
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,I did not know that,seeing I've only ever had one female..it shows male cats are real gentlemen :love:
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I let them be in each other's presence today for a bit, simply because Shaku darts for the door every time I go in, either to feed him, spend some time with him, or clean his litter.

My feral lets out these mind-numbing screams. She even hissed at me.

Lucky, how long does it take for that male cat smell to fade? I don't think he was acting particularly "male", he didn't try to spray or hump anything. I'm sad that he seems so friendly and hopeful, and she is just so furious (and threatened, I guess).
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

The smell could take 3 or 4 weeks to totally leave, to the point where other cats will stop seeing him as intact.

Since he was neutered only a few days ago, he is definitely still intact as far as your other cats are concerned.

We had to remove a female cat from a recent adoption event. My Gizmo (who had been neutered the day before) was sending her into a aggressive frenzy because of his smell. She was even hissing and striking out at us, and she was normally very sweet with people.
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Thanks a lot, Lucky. I'll be more patient and keep him away from her for a couple of weeks longer.
Old August 7th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'm sad that he seems so friendly and hopeful, and she is just so furious
Don't worry! Male cats are used to sometimes violent rejection, and he won't hold a grudge.

BTW, how old is he? It does make a difference.
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:47 PM

The vet told me he's about a year old. I imagine that people got him when they moved to their apartment last year, and dumped him when they moved out this year.

My little female is perturbed. She's in her favourite hiding place now, behind a curtain where she can observe things outside, and she won't even come out to get the treats she usually loves.

I hope things improve.
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM

They will, it just takes some time.
My parent's just recently brought in an intact male, whom they had fixed pretty much immediately, and it took their other 8 cats about a month and a half to be okay with him....the vet said the same thing about the smell staying on him, and how an intact male throws all the others into a tizzy....
It took a good while, but now everything is great.
He and the dog though, ended up as best friends from the beginning - here's a picture of them sleeping together!
The dog was a "rescue" his owners couldn't handle him (he was nine months old) and they were going to put him down, so my parent's took him in.
Attached Images

Old August 9th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww,what a great picture,just as cute as it could possibly be....also tell your parents I think they are absolutely wonderful :love:
Old August 9th, 2005, 06:27 PM

That is an adorable picture. What beautiful pets your parents have, so healthy and contented-looking!
Old August 14th, 2005, 10:44 PM

Wow. 9 cats and a dog! Your parents are amazing!
Sable