Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 18th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

When to Spay Momma Cat?

Background: Fed a feral all winter, noticed nesting outside, live trapped her and found 4 kittens in her nest. Momma is not feral after all, she's lovely, we will keep her. Two kittens in good homes, two still with me. 11 weeks old yesterday. Lucky me, no bottle feeding to do.

Our own two cats, both previously out and out feral. My old girl is 17 and frail but she's wicked at defending her territory. I'm sure she'd try to kill a kitten so she has not had the chance. Momma cat is a very good mother, she would beat the living daylights out of anyone or thing or cat who tried to get near her babies. Well, except for people and my dog.

Our other feral is male, 3 years old, very timid, he's met the kittens and he's afraid of them, the big sissy. Good thing we have him, he'd never make it outside on his own. Both neutered.

So. My plan, my dream, was find homes for the kittens. Then, when they are gone and no longer needing to be protected by Momma cat, spay her. Use her recovery from spay and hopefully reduced need to be defensive to introduce her to my female. She's met the male and he is such a chicken she seems to recognize that and is not overly aggressive with him.

But Momma cat is in heat, she's been in heat since the second week I got her inside. Two months she's been in heat. Lucky for us no yowling but she must be miserable and it makes her grumpy sometimes. Not with me, but with the dog. When she's not grumpy with him she loves him.

Momma cat has not nursed for two weeks, her stomach looks pretty well back to normal. I could spay her now but she still has kittens here and I think would still protect them. I could wait another two weeks for the most recommended spay time guideline of a month after finished nursing. The heat seems a moot point, she's in heat for two days, then she's ok for a day, then she's back in again. She's got all the lovely tortie hair on the back of her head and neck rubbed off and broken and crummy looking from rolling around on the carpeted floor so much.

What do you think? Wait some more for two remaining kittens to find homes? Or will it matter that much and just book the spay anyway?
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

No idea? Yeah, me neither. I guess pick one and see how it goes.
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:01 PM

OK....OK...here's my two pence piece.....with 'disclaimers', those being
  • without any personal experience
  • without any health science knowledge base
  • dependent on your reference to 'recommended guideline'
I would say that I would wait at least another two weeks for this "most recommended spay time guideline".....provided that such recommendation comes from competent feline Vet(s).

FWIW I had read your post yesterday but felt unqualified to help....I did subscribe though, to make sure I would receive some education from someone 'in-the-know'.....I wuznt ignoring you !

(any movement on the adoption front ?)
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks. Yes, that's what I've decided, spay whether the kittens are still here or not, a month after nursing finishes. I really have not seen Momma Cat nurse for three weeks. I was being conservative with the two just in case they spend their time with me more in playing and I missed it.

I have not heard back from the Vet who took Patsy so I'm taking that as a good sign. She lives around the corner from me and I am invited to visit after Patsy is settled in.

Another neighbour is coming tomorrow for a look-see and a play.

The neighbour with referred aggression in her own cat, the neighbour who works in rescue, said I could put the kittens in their store front. It's this rescue's two weeks. She said they are in small cages for two weeks, stacked up with a bunch of strange cats. They get out of the cages when she is cleaning them on her stint and that's all she has time for. She says they are really stressed. I said no. If I have to keep them myself I will and I'll make it work somehow. We did have one person, a relative, walk in and instantly fall in love with the mother cat. I guess that's an option. She'd be a fantastic home.
Old June 19th, 2014, 01:30 PM

So, this time I won't ignore' you

Your relative's visit might be a stroke of good luck! I read that you're prepared to keep Mama...at the same time, if her placement with the relative would be perfect, then perhaps she should go there. After all, should anything go awry, you'd be there for her. And, should you be left with a kitten, it would be easier. And, should you be left with none at all, you'll be less hesitant should you be faced with another rescue down the road. Just some random thoughts........

I hope you're getting lotsa pix !! (you could share them, you know)
Old June 19th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep. And. There's still another cat we're feeding outside. Fed it all winter too. I'd like to trap it once we get kittens squared away and prepare to keep it as it's so rare someone wants an adult cat. The OH is in love with Momma Cat but she's so nice I think she'd place easier than the big grey and white one still outside. Who knows though, we thought MommaCat was feral and she wasn't inside 5 minutes and it was obvious she wasn't.