Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Greetings :)

I am a newcomer to this forum but I've already spent some time reading through other posts and am heartened by all the fantastic stories of your dear furry friends. I thought I'd share my own pet journey with you.

My first pet (the first owned by me and not my family) was a little brown street dog I found in a rice paddy in Taiwan, where I was living. He was very small and one of his legs had been very badly crushed, and I am sure he only had a few days left in him, as he couldn't keep up with his mother to nurse. I bawled, called my roommate to bring a box, and we were off with the spunky little brown dog to the vet. They amputated his front leg, but was immediately back up, hopping around to get to his food. He was pretty sick, too, and I left him at the veterinary hospital for a few days until he was out of danger. And I named him Lucky (lucky for me!) We stayed in Taiwan for another 6 months, then I brought him back home to Canada. You should see him now! He's an AMAZING dog - good tempered, obedient, and to me he is very sweet. I have since had to move around a lot, and my mother has taken over his care so that he wouldn't be further traumatized by the travelling (the airplane rides really bothered him). Since my dad passed away in 2008, my mom really has come to enjoy and rely on his company even more, as he is very easy to care for and causes no trouble. He understands her words perfectly! I am sure this is the reason he came into my life when he did.

Now I am living in Ontario, and my bf and I have adopted two grey barn kittens who were rescued and being fostered by a veterinary technician. They have warmed our home so much, and I love their funny, quirky personalities. These animals (all three) have brought endless happiness, contentment, laughter, warmth and above all, friendship, to our lives.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to reading more of your stories too.
Lil B
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM

Here are pics of Lucky (then and now) and Caper and Fiddle, our cats.
Attached Images

Old July 13th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Kitty pimp

well welcome for sure ty for the pictures
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM
You can call me DOG!

What a wonderful story Lil Brown!

Crype, we didn't even have to bother you with posting pictures!

Lucky is such a well, lucky little guy to have found you while Caper and Fiddle look so content.

Name:  Welcome Smiley.gif
Views: 139
Size:  3.2 KB to the board and hope to cya around!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Such lovely furbabies!

Caper and Fiddle look like they're in charge!!! They just ooze attitude in that shot, Lil Brown!

Lucky was extraordinarily fortunate to have you pop into his life when he needed an !!

Welcome to the board!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:28 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Welcome Lil Brown. What a wonderful story for you and Lucky. He was indeed very very lucky to have found you that day. Pets always come to us for a reason. It's up to us to figure that reason out. Seems like you have with him. He is now your mom's companion.
Love love love your kitty babies!!!! Do they have green or yellow eyes? I am very fortunate to have a male and female who could be their relatives. Zara, my female, has green eyes. Greyson, my male, has the most amazing yellow eyes on him. From the picture it looks like their eyes are similar?
Again, welcome. After your trip you will have to share a lot more pictures of your babies with us.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Thank you all for your warm welcomes! It's really great to hang with a group of fellow animal lovers. I look forward to seeing your photos too!

And yes, Caper and Fiddle do have yellowish eyes! They glow in the dark quite nicely...

Hmm, I don't see anyone, do you see anyone?
Attached Images

Old July 16th, 2010, 08:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

LOL They certainly do glow nicely!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Doggie Wench

Your story of Lucky made me cry happy tears . Gosh, I love people like you!

Caper and Fiddle are absolutely gorgeous . Can't wait to see more photos.

Welcome to pets.ca, Lil Brown

Eta: I just realized how much your Lucky reminds me of my Lucky, especially in color/coat and deep chest...do you know what breeds he's mixed with? Not sure if I see SharPei or Chow?
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi..welcome to the forum!!

I love your furbabies,,,all so pretty and the glowing eyes pic was great!!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Thank you for the welcome Luckypenny and Tundra Queen! I am enjoying the site already. The glowing eyes make me laugh too- they all seem to be different sizes and I didn't even tough them up with a photo editor.

Luckypenny, I noticed right away that our Luckys resemble each other. The vet in Taiwan told me he is a native Taiwanese dog, which I guess he knew b/c of the black spots on his tongue. I did see other dogs very, very similar to Lucky in the aboriginal communities so perhaps the vet was right. He's certainly not built for cold climates, with his short wiry fur and rather delicate legs (although he gets along fine). I have no clue what his breeding is. I tried looking through websites but never found anything that seemed quite right. When anyone asks what kind of dog he is, I answer "Taiwanese Street". What about your Lucky?
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Welcome to the board! Your fur kids are very pretty! I LOVE the glowing eyes pic, and the caption... lol, so cute

Lucky sure is a cutie pie
And he was very "lucky" to have someone like yourself to have found and taken care of him. Dogs can be the most wonderful companion, especially after losing someone special.

Mine is what got me through the times following the loss of my sweet, beautiful mother

Hope to see more pictures!!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG lil Brown,what a wonderful story of Lucky,he sure was lucky,I am sure you were meant to meet this little boy in need and make him yours and now a companion to your mom
Your cats are gorgeous,love the glowing eyes picture
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:51 PM
-

welcome to pets.ca Lil Brown , Lucky is sure a lucky dog that you rescued him beautiful cats too , I love grey kitties
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Brown View Post
Luckypenny, I noticed right away that our Luckys resemble each other. The vet in Taiwan told me he is a native Taiwanese dog, which I guess he knew b/c of the black spots on his tongue. I did see other dogs very, very similar to Lucky in the aboriginal communities so perhaps the vet was right. He's certainly not built for cold climates, with his short wiry fur and rather delicate legs (although he gets along fine). I have no clue what his breeding is. I tried looking through websites but never found anything that seemed quite right. When anyone asks what kind of dog he is, I answer "Taiwanese Street". What about your Lucky?
I have no idea, I was hoping you could tell me (he was without history when we adopted him from a shelter as an adult). He has the same broad neck (he slips easily out of flat collars) and shoulders your Lucky does but his mouth is entirely blue/black. I was thinking a Chow/Husky or Chow/Shepherd mix. Other than the ears (which reminds me of a Shar Pei on your guy), they do look an awful lot alike. I'm so glad you shared a photo of Lucky as a pup...sorta gives me an idea what my guy may have looked like , thank you!

I'm so happy you found him and found Caper and Fiddle too. Can't wait to see more photos and hear more about them .