Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old July 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Sheba Cat Food

Hello all,

I've been feeding Minnie "Wellness" for about 8 months and she's doing great on it. I'm one of those people who refuse to feed my furbabies cheap, grocery store pet food. However, I got a free sample of Sheba canned cat food in the mail yesterday, read the ingredients, thought it looked fine, and fed it to Minnie. She did great, but I just want to run it past all of you to see what you think. I'm not intending on switching from Wellness to Sheba by no means, I just want to know if I get a free sample of it would it be ok to give it to her every once in a while. I have a coupon that says buy one get one free.

It was chicken breast in sauce and it came in a gold dome-like can. When I opened it and saw the meat, I sware I could've taken a bite of it. It looked so pure and good. The ingredients label read like this:
"Water, Chicken breast, tapioca starch, guar gum"..and that was it! Here is the link to the exact food I gave her:
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...5Fid=235&Page=
So what do you all think?
Thanks,
M
P.S. - On the Sheba website it said "No recalls, no chemicals and no fillers."

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999

Last edited by Mahealani770; July 5th, 2007 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Forgot Something
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

It looks fine for an occasional treat (couple times a week), but it seems to be missing all the necessary vitamins/minerals that would make it acceptable for regular feeding. Does it say anywhere on the packaging that it should be for supplemental feeding only? I'd be concerned that people might be giving it to their cats as a primary food source.
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM

I agree. Rather than it being full of nasty stuff, it just doesn't seem to have enough good stuff. There is nothing that says anything about it being just for supplemental meals. Thanks for replying sugarcatmom!

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
It looks fine for an occasional treat (couple times a week), but it seems to be missing all the necessary vitamins/minerals that would make it acceptable for regular feeding. Does it say anywhere on the packaging that it should be for supplemental feeding only? I'd be concerned that people might be giving it to their cats as a primary food source.
I agree. I looked on their website and it doesn't say anything but I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O2AP2M/...M&linkCode=asn
Old July 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Interesting, now when I go to the Sheba website, it does indeed say:
Quote:
FEEDING GUIDE: SHEBA PREMIUM CUTS Chicken Breast Dinner with Sauce is intended for intermittent or supplemental feeding only.
Don't remember seeing that on there before. Hopefully they make it more prominent on the actual container! It seems to me that you might as well just buy some chicken and boil it up yourself for an occasional kitty treat (you can freeze the leftovers in smaller chunks). Would probably be cheaper, and with less packaging.
Old July 7th, 2007, 06:42 PM
-

I didn't see it on their website before either. Perhaps, they got some well deserved complaints.

I agree with just boiling some chicken as it would be a heck of alot cheaper. But, Mahealani got a freebie can so she wouldn't have any problems feeding it to Minnie.