Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Hartz Chew 'n Clean

Because I am scared to give my dog a real bone to chew on; to give her a piece of wood to chew on; to give her nylabone type chews; to give her rawhide; etc. etc. I find she is not getting to chew anything!
So yesterday I bought a Hartz Chew 'n Clean large size Bounce & Bite chew.
Although she at first took it in her mouth, she soon dropped it... I tried later to get her to play with it but no.
Little bit latter I happened to put my fingers in my mouth and got such a disgusting poisonous taste that I could not rinse out - and smelled the toy, and realized it was from the chew toy yellow rubber ends.
This morning I did a test: touched the toy and then my mouth and again, vile, putrid taste which could not be rinsed out.
I emailed Harts with my comments.
PLEASE, do not buy this toy and maybe smell and even, yes, rub and taste the toy BEFORE giving to your dog.
I am awaiting a reply form Harts and will share with you. I notice on Amazon.com some other pet owners had same comments.
Now I am wodnering if I have ingested poison! What could be so vile - a spray on the rubber or ???
(I know Walmart will refund but that's not the point.
Attached Images

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:45 AM

pic

sorry i know pic is too large but have a lot of irons in the fire right now, J.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthedoghouse View Post
sorry i know pic is too large but have a lot of irons in the fire right now, J.

Unfortunately everything is made in China today and that includes dog toys.

You can find on lines dogs toys made in USA.

I do not buy my dog any rubber toys or rawhide toys.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:32 AM

You should try deer antlers - those are a great chew for dogs
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:52 AM

thanks

..... thanks for the tips

Honestly, I could NOT get that taste out of my mouth for about an hour this morning.... I pity the poor dogs that are forced to chew this item and how many others are like it: actually, I'm not in the habit of smelling and tasting Lucy's treats! I can still smell it, sitting her on my computer desk...
horrible! I might try the antlers - still worried about her chewing pieces... and swallowing.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthedoghouse View Post
..... thanks for the tips

Honestly, I could NOT get that taste out of my mouth for about an hour this morning.... I pity the poor dogs that are forced to chew this item and how many others are like it: actually, I'm not in the habit of smelling and tasting Lucy's treats! I can still smell it, sitting her on my computer desk...
horrible! I might try the antlers - still worried about her chewing pieces... and swallowing.
It's a good thing you did taste the toy , you may had kept your dog from getting sick. I had some friends that had a dog and they brought their dog cookies and the box said the cookies came in difference flavors. My friend tasted all the cookies and he said they all tasted the same!
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the deer antlers are pretty tough to be honest. Have you watched those guys during mating season smashing their antlers together?? My SIL has some for his dogs and they don't seem to splinter at all. I need to get one from him next time I'm over there. They're not cheap, but you could get one and then watch your pup when he's chewing for the first while to make sure he's not breaking it up. I know Halo is a very hard chewer and and actually cracked up a Bison knuckle I had bought her a few years ago. I had been assured it was great for heavy chewers.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM

I agree that deer antlers are awesome for heavy chewers. Zeus has had his for a few months, and has barely made a dent in it (it grinds down over time- I have never seen a piece come off of it). I would say that they are definitely worth the money.
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:39 PM

...question

My husband wonders if a dog could break a tooth by chewing something very hard?
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes. We've had dogs break teeth on stones... Not sure why the little nudniks were chewing on rocks, but so it goes... I've heard of dogs breaking teeth on very hard bones, as well.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 16th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Scruffy broke a tooth on a marrow bone.
Other than that, he's been chewing raw bones for years with no other issues. He also gets elk antlers. Dogs need to chew, it's what they do.
The elk antlers are great. Haven't seen deer here.
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM

another question

sorry to be a pest
so, when a dog breaks a tooth on chewing something
does it have to have tooth removed by vet or ???
I am sooo worried about my dog not chewing anything
vs breaking a tooth --- !!! J.
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It depends on how bad the break is. Sometimes it just amounts to an enamel chip and the vet might just polish the break to smooth it out without having to do anything more. Sometimes, though, a large enough piece breaks off to expose the dentine inside or, worse yet, the root--and that requires some dental work. Our Grace broke a molar off a couple months ago and it was obviously sensitive (she wouldn't let me brush that side of her mouth, which is how I found the broken tooth). The vet had to remove that one.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
Scruffy broke a tooth on a marrow bone.
Other than that, he's been chewing raw bones for years with no other issues. He also gets elk antlers. Dogs need to chew, it's what they do.
The elk antlers are great. Haven't seen deer here.
I brought my dog a small beef bone to chew on and he wanted nothing to do with it. Marty is a strange little dog!
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:01 PM

BarkingDog really? Wouldn't touch teh beef bone? Scruffy would jump through plate glass for a bone! Although he does prefer deer, beef is a lot easier to find
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:50 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I've often wondered about that. Kongs for example have a very rubbery taste because they are made of rubber. But dogs love to try and suck stuff (peanut butter, treats etc.) from the toy's center.

maybe it has to do with the reward? maybe they will suck on a rubbery kong if there's food in it? Just thinking aloud here.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

What about small chicken pieces with bones? Wings, thighs, small legs. Now, some don't like to give weight bearing bones such as a large cow femur because of the tooth breakage possibility. But some, including me, think small chicken is OK. Raw bones don't present the splinter possibility of cooked bones. I give them frozen so an added cool down on hot days like this. Depending on the dog the high fat content of the wings might be a consideration, not for me. I do have to supervise to be sure pieces don't go down whole.

My dog isn't keen on beef marrow bones either. Too lazy I guess, getting the marrow out is hard work.
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:14 PM

Dodgy

Thats terrible,
Some dodgy plastics have probably been used thanks for the heads up.