Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 8th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Exclamation Nails Growing On Tail HELP PLS

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, between trouble staying logged in and real life, I've slipped. But please, I need help from someone.

A while ago, I noticed that Shannon, my 10 year old GSD, had what looked like a nail growing out of the middle side part of her tail. Within 2 weeks, it had developed into a cluster of 3. It looked exactly like a dogs nails would, same shape, and had a curve just like a nail. At first it was white, then turned black, and even felt hard like a nail, but the first one if scrapped with your nail would sort of dissentigrate in tiny black thingys and fall off. The base was connected to her tail, and if pushed to the side, you could see the skin was raw underneath the "nail". It's not painful, nor seemed to bother her.

I took her to the vet and low and behold, the vet said it was the same material as what a dogs nails were made of, except did not have a quik. She proceeded to cut it, near the base, just like the nails on her feet! I decided I wanted a second opinion, went to a different vet, and showed them the growths without telling them what had already been diagnosed when it grew back long again. I got the same diagnosis, yes, it's the same cell material that makes the dog nails, and she also cut it with the nail clippers, and said to get it cut at the same time as Shannons nails were done! It didn't bleed, no quik, and still didn't bother her. Now she has a few on her neck!

Has anyone ever heard of this? I'll try to post a picture in the next couple of days when they grow long again, to show exactly how it looks (even curves like a real toe nail when it gets too long).

Please, if you've ever heard of this, or have a website I can read about it, or know why this is happening, please post it here. BTW, all blood panels were normal!
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:40 PM

omg, I have no idea Shannon, but that must be so freaky! If my doggies had that, I'd be panic central, even if they were harmless.

You can't get the whole growth removed?

(ps, glad you're back. )
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM

weird. I'd loved to see that if you have pictures.
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Get an x-ray, it's just a guess, but certain types of tumors will grow things such as hair and nails out of them, so it could be something like that.
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:17 PM
cat slave

ok time to post....my guinea pig has that on her paws. I never got it checked because it looks like a result from her having her paws in dirt all the time. No matter how clean a piggy cage is there's still poo pellets she steps on.
I don't want to suggest your dog's dirty and needs more cleaning. I don't know what he's around, whether he isn't washed after enough , or whether this "thing" is a result of dirty fur. I have no idea If vet doesn't know...who would??but they don't know everything. maybe it's something that can be removed surgically?
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:20 PM

lol Jiorji, Shannon's doggy is a show doggy. I think Kenzie is as clean as it gets.
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:32 PM
cat slave

yeah no, i'm NOT suggesting he's dirty that's why i don't know what to say...so i said if the vet doesn't know what it is...we're no better. I'm speechless. lol so odd
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:35 PM
cat slave

I'm actually not even sure it's the same thing they have.
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM

I guess if it's just clumpy dirt, you can cut it out (worst case scenario) but if it's attached (like a tumor or growth) you can't get under it.
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I remember another member on this board with the same question...
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ight=nail+tail

here it is...maybe you can get in touch with them and see what they were told
Old October 9th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16
I remember another member on this board with the same question...
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ight=nail+tail

here it is...maybe you can get in touch with them and see what they were told
cpietra 16, I went to the link you supplied,l and the picture link the original poster put up says page not available, and the email address he supplies is also not valid Thanks for trying to help though, I wish I had seen that pic, but in the replies there, they confirm it is indeed a nail, just like shannon has! Glad to know the vets and I are not crazy I only wish I knew the outcome! I've sent a pm, hopefully they'll reply, I'm worried sick, but I don't have much hope they'll reply as their profile says their last activity was Nov/05 Edited to add, I tracked down his business, and the emails are returned from there as well, uggg

Last edited by shannon1233A; October 9th, 2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

sorry to hear that. I was hoping you could get some answers. I'll keep trying other sources
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

wow, please keep us posted!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:07 PM

The next time that you speak with your vet, ask him/her what the medical term is for this condition. I would be interested to read on this.

Lola Bologna

Old October 9th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16
sorry to hear that. I was hoping you could get some answers. I'll keep trying other sources
Great news! I was able to track down the OP's business that you directed me to, and called them! Their vet said it IS a nail and it's some type of genetic mutant thing some dogs have. Their dogs nail just fell out one day and never grew back, either did the one on their BC's neck which had grown after they posted here! Not dangerous just make sure she doesn't chew at it! I'd like to sincerely thank you cp for directing me to them, and also a very, very sincere thank you to the OP for calling me back from Tenn. She's sending me a pic of the original nail on tail and I'll post it as well as Shannons when I get it!

What a relief, and THANK YOU AGAIN!
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

great to hear...I'm glad you got some answers.
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:31 AM

The OP gave me permission to post the pic of Wilsons nail growing on his tail as the Vet as cut Shannon's short so it's hard to see. Shannons should be long enough in about 2 weeks to take a clear picture, as it seems hers grows much longer than the OP's. I'll post Shannons as soon as I can! Here's what it looks like, weird huh
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM

at least you know what it is and what will happen that is great news
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:51 PM
-

Glad to hear that you got a positive answer. Fingers crossed for Shannon.
Old October 14th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Great News!
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:47 PM

Thanks

This is my first post - we just discovered a nail growing on our dog's tail and I freaked out and started looking for info. Thanks Shannon for your helpful post! I am very relieved that it is nothing major!
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Thumbs up Why Pets.ca IS SUCH A GREAT FORUM:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoung View Post
This is my first post - we just discovered a nail growing on our dog's tail and I freaked out and started looking for info. Thanks Shannon for your helpful post! I am very relieved that it is nothing major!
I'm soooo glad you found the help needed, THAT'S WHY PETS.CA IS SUCH A GREAT SITE!!!!!!
Btw, expect more to pop up on different places, my vet said once they have those cells, they tend to be prone to growing more. Shannon has several on her neck now, but I still get them checked periodically to make sure they're nothing more serious, but I also tend to be an overprotective mom! I'd suggest you keep an eye open and also always get these usual growths checked
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:43 PM

OMG So glad I found this - my dog also has this growing from her tail. I had no clue what to google so I just entered "dog" and "growing out of tail" and got this, lol. A nail is exactly how I would describe it. It's pretty dang long and curves upward. I tried to cut it but its so thick and tough that I'm going to have to find something else to cut it with...Clippers wont open big enough!
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.gsdhelp.info/cancer/kerato.html

I looked this up and it is called keratocanthoma . I never knew this could happen to a dog's tail . I would be really worried if my dog had nails in his tail.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have a dog that occasionally (three or four times over the past 4 years) develops them on his face. They're there for a few weeks or months, then the faulty follicle goes dormant and the nail falls off.

I've never heard of one too thick to cut with a clipper, though, teh squishy--your dog's nail might be worth a trip for a vet evaluation.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."