Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

What is wrong with people :(

This just terrifies me. My neighbor (and good friend) thinks I'm crazy, over protective and obssesive over my babies, and maybe I am. But it's things like this that make me the way I am. We back onto a small green space with a little pond. We have all kinds of birds, frogs etc. The other day, my friend caught some of the neighborhood kids ctching the frogs and pulling their little legs off. She yelled at them and told them to leave, but they just keep coming back. If "kids" are capable of that type of cruelty, what would prevent them from throwing something over the fence to hurt our boys because maybe they barked at them, or something

They don't go in the backyard alone. Thorin does on occassion, but I think I may not let him anymore. People are such 's

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ed-mirror.html

Police in central Alberta are warning pet owners to be vigilant after more than a dozen dogs were poisoned over the weekend.

A photo of Rocco, owned by Roel Vandenberg and Angel Child of Mirror, Alta. Rocco is one of the 13 dogs that recently died from a suspected deliberate mass poisoning. (Bryan Labby/CBC)
Sgt. Geoff Buxcey said that the Bashaw RCMP detachment has become aware of at least 13 dogs that died sometime Friday night or Saturday morning in the town of Mirror, 70 kilometres east of Red Deer, Alta.

Buxcey said the dogs all died while either in their owners' yards or on the owners' property.

Police suspect the dogs ate something poisonous but don't know what. Buxcey said that it is possible the killings were deliberate and pet owners need to be looking for any suspicious activity or items on their property.

"Before they let their pets out in to the yard, they [should] search the yard for any substances," Buxcey said.

"If they do find something, call police. We'll send an officer down and determine if it is a danger."

Police also recommend that owners keep their pets on a leash while out walking and that pets are kept inside at night.

Buxcey said that several dogs were poisoned with strychnine in the same town last year, and it's possible that the same person or persons are responsible.

"I can't say that they're related at this point, but the circumstances are the same, so I would have to say that they could be," Buxcey said.

Police won't know until reviewing autopsy and toxicology results what the exact cause of death was. That process is expected to take several weeks.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

people are sick....what is wrong with parents now a days that their children are growing up to be repeat offenders....almost makes you want to hand in your human membership
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Seems to me there's 2 completely separate stories here except for the cruelty.

I've said this so many times already but the members on this board represent the better more caring part of society... Although pulling legs off frogs is disgusting and immoral imo, it's very very common especially for boys. But these behaviours don't appear out of nowhere...they are part of human evolution or devolution depending on your point of view.

Start from the bible or anywhere in history and violence (often for sport) continues to this day. From the Roman Gladiators to Bullfighting, cockfighting, dogfighting to 2 humans fighting it out in a cage for only $49.95 pay per view...we are a violent species have always been and will continue to be - especially males on average.

Now the dog poisoning that's just a couple of levels more depraved and does not represent the average male imo, but may represent the average serial killer.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I like UFC Marko
But those guys choose to go in that ring.

Humans are just disturbed if you ask me... there is no explanation for them. But parents I too place a lot of responsibility on as well.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Seems to me there's 2 completely separate stories here except for the cruelty.

I've said this so many times already but the members on this board represent the better more caring part of society... Although pulling legs off frogs is disgusting and immoral imo, it's very very common especially for boys. But these behaviours don't appear out of nowhere...they are part of human evolution or devolution depending on your point of view.

Start from the bible or anywhere in history and violence (often for sport) continues to this day. From the Roman Gladiators to Bullfighting, cockfighting, dogfighting to 2 humans fighting it out in a cage for only $49.95 pay per view...we are a violent species have always been and will continue to be - especially males on average.

Now the dog poisoning that's just a couple of levels more depraved and does not represent the average male imo, but may represent the average serial killer.
I know boys do things like that, but to me it's still cruel. It's a good thing I don't have kids, I'd probably beat them if they ever did anything like that

Seriously though, these kids are just horrible. The one is only about 10-11, has a mohawk, swears like a sailor and is just a monster. I wouldn't put it past him to carry the cruelty on to larger things than the frogs. I see him bullying some of the younger ones on a regular basis and the parents do nothing. I do blame the parents, most definitely. They (the kids, not the parents!) have stolen our garden lights from in front of our house, smashed the neighbors lights, vandalized holiday decorations we have put out on a few occassions (so we don't even bother anymore). Kids are deranged these days... at least the ones in our neighborhood. All it takes is for them to hear about somethng like this and think it's cool, then mimic it

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
people are sick....what is wrong with parents now a days that their children are growing up to be repeat offenders....almost makes you want to hand in your human membership
I couldn't agree more

Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

my children from day one were/are taught respect for any living creature, for other peoples property, my daycare children are taught the same way, beginning with how to properly treat Brina, how to treat each other and how to care for gardens, we all plant seeds in cups in the spring and it thrills them to know they did that, they all get to give Brina a treat or a meal, again, they are thrilled to be allowed, and they all love and learn how to treat the wildlife in our yard, we catch and release frogs, toads, snakes etc and they sometimes get to see first hand what humans can do to wildlife when I have to rehab any, so hopefully that will be 73/74 children in cornwall and area that have been through my home and will continue to teach others...one can only hope.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:07 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Kinda off topic but on topic at the same time.
Parents
My neighbours son has been in and out of jail for his entire teen to young adult life ( he is my age roughly now meaning not quite 30)
There was an accident on this road last fall which resulted in him in the ditch breaking a tree in half ( not a small one either) as we met up on the top of a hill and he lost control most likely due to the fact he was travelling in excess of 130kms/h according to the police report and being drunk.
Sure as sh** his mother was first on the scene after he ran through the bush to her house and I am at the scene on the phone with the OPP as I did not have a clue who this person was at all at the time.
Long story short, he's in jail again for various breaches of probation as well as drinking and driving and stunt driving or what ever the 50 over thing is called.
I see the mother on the road all the time, she has called the cops on me various times as it is somehow my fault her moron son was driving in such a manner while intoxicated and on all sorts of drugs I'm sure (as per his reputation) and ended up in jail once again.
I have had the OPP here for the following reasons:
-trying to run her off the road with my car this winter (funny car is off the road in the winter but hey)
- speeding down the road almost running over her grandson (which was actually driving in 2nd gear to avoid bottoming out in the various pot holes on the road and coming to a complete stop almost because her and her grandson were biking up a hill in the middle of the road)
- and most recently, another instance of me speeding with my car down the road in our horrible rain storm on a freshly graded dirt road (ours) when the cops came here this time I laughed and told the officer to take my car and try his hardest to exceed 40 km/h in the mud mess out there with out rolling it. He even said it was not possible, my rims alone suck in too much mud and would end up in the ditch very quickly if I tried that.
I told them next call she calls in on me I would have no choice but to press harassment charges on her and encouraged him to inform her of this. The officer understood.

So, this is a classic case of a parent protecting their child a little too much and defending them no matter what stupidity they pull off such as an armed robbery of a gas station last year, this recent accident we had ( to which she was trying to say she was driving and I swerved towards her and ran her off the road, a Tiburon vs a Jeep... would be kinda stupid for me to do no?) and covering up for him for vehicle thefts, money thefts, petty larsony ect.
It will never stop with this guy or his mother.
My man knows this guy very well as he has lived here his whole life and apparently this guy as a kid wasn't what one would call kind to animals as a child. But, mom stuck up for his actions at every turn
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
my children from day one were/are taught respect for any living creature, for other peoples property, my daycare children are taught the same way, beginning with how to properly treat Brina, how to treat each other and how to care for gardens, we all plant seeds in cups in the spring and it thrills them to know they did that, they all get to give Brina a treat or a meal, again, they are thrilled to be allowed, and they all love and learn how to treat the wildlife in our yard, we catch and release frogs, toads, snakes etc and they sometimes get to see first hand what humans can do to wildlife when I have to rehab any, so hopefully that will be 73/74 children in cornwall and area that have been through my home and will continue to teach others...one can only hope.
I commend you because you are not the norm these days. I have never encountered such rude ignorant and lazy kids as I see nowadays. I was a big rebel but I also had respect for most adults and surely authority figures. My parents believed if you raise kids with animals you teach them respect, responsibility and compassion not just for animals but people too. Now that I am much older I see they were so right. I have seen kids push seniors to get past them, daily I am almost run over on the sidewalks by bikes. Where they scream get the f*** out of the way. Fortunately I have a secret weapon named Clark who will rip a bike wheel off if they get too close. Lets just say I do not pull him back to quick and if one of the delinquents falls off his bike oh well too bad. But there parents do nothing about their abysmal behavior "oh they are just being kids". Well now it is becoming more serious there are kids shooting and stabbing each other on a daily basis. If they treat humans this way we all know the way they treat animals.
I sure your kids and they ones in your daycare will flourish and maybe teach one of those who parents are too busy on there crackberry's or sitting them in front of a computer because they have no time or inclination to take care of them or make time for them.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

thank you Mastifllover, I like to think I'm helping a wee bit.

Erykah, and we wonder why some kids are like they are....unreal isn't it, we had a car load drive by daily paintballing our house, broke the seal on a window once, we called the cops....he says to us "do you have any teens dating natives?" I said "what???" he continues to say (not my words, the policemans words so please forgive me) "I bet its the wahoo's around the corner defending their own because your daughter is dating a smuggler", at this point I got angry and asked him if he knew the akwasasnee canine unit , Sergent Mitchell, because THAT is the family my daughter is involved with", turns out it was a "nice" church going family that just bought their son a paintball gun AND a new car.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Good for you Melinda!!
I wish parents would actually take some responsibility in raising their children, but most don't seem to give a rats ass. I have a friend who I just can't stand being around because of her 4 yr old. She was picking her nose one day, I told her not to do that, it's yucky... and she screamed and smacked me
You have NO idea how badly I wanted to smack her ass for that one. Her mom laughed and said "give her a break, she's only 4!". I said fine, so when she's beating up on someone are you going to say "give her a break, she's only 14!"... c'mon, that's a ridiculous excuse! That's the most impressionable age. I guess I just don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
I commend you because you are not the norm these days. I have never encountered such rude ignorant and lazy kids as I see nowadays. I was a big rebel but I also had respect for most adults and surely authority figures. My parents believed if you raise kids with animals you teach them respect, responsibility and compassion not just for animals but people too. Now that I am much older I see they were so right. I have seen kids push seniors to get past them, daily I am almost run over on the sidewalks by bikes. Where they scream get the f*** out of the way. Fortunately I have a secret weapon named Clark who will rip a bike wheel off if they get too close. Lets just say I do not pull him back to quick and if one of the delinquents falls off his bike oh well too bad. But there parents do nothing about their abysmal behavior "oh they are just being kids". Well now it is becoming more serious there are kids shooting and stabbing each other on a daily basis. If they treat humans this way we all know the way they treat animals.
I sure your kids and they ones in your daycare will flourish and maybe teach one of those who parents are too busy on there crackberry's or sitting them in front of a computer because they have no time or inclination to take care of them or make time for them.
It sucks... they have no respsect for anyone or anything. It actually makes me very sad.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I was a party girl and hated school and all the things that delinquents usually are, well you can not judge a book by its cover. I was never a criminal or hurt people or animals just looked like it with my black wardrobe and fushia hair. The worst kids were the ones who's parents thought my Johnny is such a good boy he goes to church and Sunday school meanwhile Johnny is banging speed with his buddies in there topsiders and dockers. Just as race or religion does not determine if you are going to be a loser or not that is up to kids and there parents, well parents if they take off the blinders.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
I was a party girl and hated school and all the things that delinquents usually are, well you can not judge a book by its cover. I was never a criminal or hurt people or animals just looked like it with my black wardrobe and fushia hair. The worst kids were the ones who's parents thought my Johnny is such a good boy he goes to church and Sunday school meanwhile Johnny is banging speed with his buddies in there topsiders and dockers. Just as race or religion does not determine if you are going to be a loser or not that is up to kids and there parents, well parents if they take off the blinders.
I couldn't agree more!!! I was probably the most rotten kid in the world when it came to be a "rebel". I look back now and think "wow... my poor parents!". BUT... my parents did teach me respect. I was the same as you, black clothes, crazy hair, definitely a party girl. But I never did anything to purposely hurt anyone or anything. A lot of kids now would just as soon shoot/stab you than have to look you in the eyes and actually say something. There was a small group of kids here, maybe 2 yrs ago, broke into a house and put the family cat in the micro. They were caught, and none of them punished as of yet. It's horrific.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...1-551297e80e3c

Alberta cat found dead in microwave

Several teenagers have been charged with animal cruelty and other offences after allegedly breaking into an Alberta home and using a microwave oven to kill the family's cat.

By CanWest News Service January 5, 2008 Comments (4)

EDMONTON -- Several teenagers have been charged with animal cruelty and other offences after allegedly breaking into an Alberta home and using a microwave oven to kill the family's cat.

"I've been a police officer here for 25 years and I have never run across this kind of a situation," said Insp. Lee Foreman of the Camrose Police Service. "I'm sure you share the same disgust as I do."

Police believe the Camrose, Alta., house was broken into during the early hours of Dec. 29, when a group of suspects stole several items and committed vandalism to the interior. The city is located about 90 kilometres southeast of Edmonton.

No one was home at the time as the residents were away for a post-Christmas holiday.

The home was re-entered on Dec. 30, when more damage was caused. Police believe this is when the suspects put the family cat in the microwave and turned it on.

"We sent the cat to be autopsied, so that has yet to be confirmed, but that is what we surmise," Foreman said.

Camrose resident Frank Snopek said he woke to the sound of a woman crying in his neighbour's backyard early on Dec. 30. The woman, who was looking after the house while the family was away, said she'd found the home broken into and the cat killed.

"I went into the house to see what had happened and here is this cat in the microwave," said Snopek.

The words, "Nice cat, look in the microwave" were scrawled in felt pen on the kitchen window and on the glass of the kitchen cabinets.

Snopek said there was considerable damage downstairs, too, where windows were broken and a television smashed.

"It was just wrecked," he said.

Snopek said the family had the cat, a black and orange tabby, since he and his wife Rose moved into the neighbourhood from Vermillion just over five years ago.

"It was a nice little cat, very friendly," said Snopek. "It used to follow the kids down the street. It was a good mouser, too.

"They have to be off the deep end to do something like this. It's pretty sad."

After an investigation, Camrose police arrested three 15-year-old boys and a 13-year-old boy, Foreman said.

The teens are facing charges of unlawfully killing an animal, unlawfully causing pain or suffering to an animal, break, enter and theft, mischief and possession of stolen property.

They are scheduled to appear in youth court in Camrose on Feb. 7.

Foreman said police have recovered most of the stolen property.

The teens can't be named under provisions of the Young Offenders Act.

Edmonton Journal

Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

rgeurts,I don't agree with Marko,too often parents excuse cruelty or just bad behaviors,"because that's what boys do",I have 3 sons,they have never ever hurt an animal,be it a frog or a dog.
They learned from day 1,to care for all living creatures and to this day,they still do,they might have other faults,but cruelty to animals was never one of them.
If I had caught these kids pulling legs off a frog,they would remember me forever
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
rgeurts,I don't agree with Marko,too often parents excuse cruelty or just bad behaviors,"because that's what boys do",I have 3 sons,they have never ever hurt an animal,be it a frog or a dog.
They learned from day 1,to care for all living creatures and to this day,they still do,they might have other faults,but cruelty to animals was never one of them.
If I had caught these kids pulling legs off a frog,they would remember me forever

It's horrible, and just breaks my heart to see/hear. And I agree with you 100%, people make too many excuses these days. I told my friend next time she sees it to let me know. They also throw garbage etc in to the water. I'll be talking to the parents. If that doesn't work, I'll contact bylaw.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad I never had kids.... I also wish they would scrap the youth offender act. These little freaks should have their faces posted every where. I remember when I robbed and assaulted by two teenagers. Their parents said it was my fault. Yep. I begged them to rob my store and rough me up. But I got even, I let everyone know what these a$$holes did and I had 2 lawyers that said they would help me out if I would have been charged. If I ever get robbed again, I will defend myself any way necessary. And yes I do have a gun. Not saying I would shoot them, but weapon on weapon, I would win.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I was that church girl... I had the appearance of 'good' teenager but did my fair share of some pretty hefty things. Never had it included hurting anyone or anything other than my own organs perhaps. I agree you can not judge a book by its cover at all.
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww Erykah,not you
I always get frustrated when I hear"that's just boy-stuff"..my youngest was bullied in school,to the point where I was afraid for his life,he has a heartcondition and was always the smallest in class.

I did everything I could for him,short of staying with him in class all day,contacted everyone,the common answer I got was"not to worry,this is what boys do,it will pass"

Luckily today,bullying is looked on as abuse,treated as something a bit more serious,as should animal-abuse be,even if it is a lowly little frog.

I salute anyone with the courage to stand up to abuse,of any kind!