Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old November 15th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Animal Lover

Ducklings Anyone?

Ok, so on a whim we decided to incubate some of our ducks eggs. Well we have two pipping out of their shell as we speak! I love baby ducks. Hopefully this time tomorrow I might have some pictures of some babies to share. They are magpies and indian crested runner duck eggs.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Senior Contributor

What happens when they hatch, do you have a mother duck to put them under or are you planning on raising them yourself?
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Animal Lover

We hand raise them ourselves. We've done this in the past with great success. They are a lot of fun and educational for the kids too. We got a couple almost out!

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:17 PM

What happens after that? Where do the ducks go? (And where are the pics!?)
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Animal Lover

Hiya Prin! After the ducklings are fully feathered we have a friend who has a large pond that will take most of them. We will keep a few for our own home flock. They are so much fun and easy to keep. My husband used up the memory card on the camera doing a video! I may have one I can post. They are still working on coming out though. I will DEFINELTY have some when they hatch out.

Here is one. The color isn't that great though...

-Anonymous
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Queen

That's a beautiful shot.
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:55 AM

very cool.
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Animal Lover

Well I have some sad news to report. For whatever reason we are not having good hatch success. :sad: We've lost several. They are pipping but not coming out all the way. Hatching is natures test to see if the ducklings are strong enough to make it. It's so hard not to help the little guys out. <sigh> We have several more trying, so we are fighting hard to keep them alive. Hopefully I will have some cute babies soon to show off! Here is a picture of some our other ducklings from last year though. They are truly a lot of fun and sooo adorable!

-Anonymous
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I love ducks too, they are probably the cutest of all fowl. I would like to have some, just like Chandler and Joey. Swimming in my bathtub.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old November 18th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Queen

If they are going to be pets why can't you help them? Maybe they could be special ducks that just aren't as strong. I'm kind of weak and shouldn't have made it.:sad:
Old November 18th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Maybe ducks are not good as pets. I think that ducks need to live near the ponds and they need to be pampered by their mother after birth. Don't be so frustrated. I'm sure there are still a lot of pets to take care of that you will find easy to raise.

Last edited by igauresh; November 18th, 2006 at 07:19 AM.
Old November 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by igauresh View Post
Maybe ducks are not good as pets. I think that ducks need to live near the ponds and they need to be pampered by their mother after birth. Don't be so frustrated. I'm sure there are still a lot of pets to take care of that you will find easy to raise.

Domesticated ducks don't require a pond, but deep enough water to dunk their heads under to wash their eyes, which we provide plenty of. They also DO make good OUTDOOR pets. They are fun to watch and will eat out of our hands. We've owned ducks for several years. They are extremely easy to raise as well and very hardy to diseases and weather. We normally have a good success rate hatching out and hand raising our ducklings. This time around we aren't.

Maya -- As far as helping, everyone I've helped winds up dying. By helping out I mean I just crack the shell around where they are already pipping. But they have to be strong enough to push out. If you help them out too early they haven't absorbed the yolk yet and that is bad. So it's a guessing game. It is hard not to though. I think one of our problems is the humidity in the incubator. With the heat on in teh house it's drier here now. Ambient humidity can make a difference. Anyway, I'll be quiet now.

-Anonymous
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Queen

I see. I was imagining a fairly strong little guy tapping from the inside but not strong enough to break through. I couldn't bare it though if I thought they were alive in there:sad: My neighbour's chickens took a liking to me when I was younger, so I can imagine how wonderful it would be to have ducklings as pets.