Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 21st, 2006, 02:32 PM

digging dog

We have 2 dogs - Honey, a 2 1/2 yo golden retriever, and Misty, a 7 month old mutt puppy. When we got Honey she did a little digging as a puppy but stopped. She was lonely, so when someone found Misty as a stray, I took her in so Honey would have a friend. They get along great. Misty, being a puppy started digging little holes. Honey thought that was a great idea . So, then they were digging and broke through the rotting fence. I got a new fence (in that part of the yard - still waiting on the neighbors to do the middle shared fence). A few days ago, Honey dug under the new fence.
I do not know why she is digging out. They have tons of toys in the backyard. There is a swimming pool that at this time of year belongs solely to Honey and she takes herself swimming quite frequently. There are two of them, so they have each other to play with.
Before we got Misty, Honey seemed to be house trained.
Misty is still not house trained - she usually won't potty on the wood kitchen floor if we have her gated in there, but she still does occasionally, and she will potty on the carpet. I need help there too. So, when Honey was digging, I tried keeping her in the house even though Misty got to go outside and now 3 times in the last month, Honey has pooped on the carpet. I am not sure if she is doing it because she is mad that Misty is outside and she is not or what.
So, they do not have free run of the house ever. When we are home and can keep an eye on them, we let Honey have free roam in the house and usually we gate Misty in the kitchen, or let her stay with us as long as we are watching her.
They sleep in crates at night or else Honey sleeps in my dd's room.
So, lately, since the digging stuff is going on, I have just had to keep Honey in her crate unless I am watching her and I can't let her outside except to go potty and I have to bring her right back in. If it is muddy, then she has to go to her crate until her feet are dry - I do towel dry them, but she has all that hair between her feet pads and they hold lots of water and mud - I tried to trim those little hairs, but she did not like that - she kept pulling her foot away from me and licking me.
So, I just got dirt and filled in the hole and got some of those concrete edging stones - the big heavy ones and put some on top of the dirt and I don't think she can dig there, but she will probably find another place to dig.

So, how do I stop the digging? I thought about that invisible fence thing, but I think it involves a shock collar thing and she swims a lot and that would probably ruin the collar. So, I need suggestions on stopping the digging.
Thank you for reading all my long drawn out story.
Dana