Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Angry another rant

THIS IS A RANT: I know this has been talked about but it still angers me to no end How can landlords have so much power regarding pets. My friend has spent 8 months looking for a place that accepts dogs and nothing. Now he has to give up his beautiful golden whom he adores. AND to make it worse, he is allowed the cat...but not the dog. The cat and the dog have been best friends from the very beginning. I hate this!!!!
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM

I don't know if this would help.When I used to rent I always got letters of reference for Sage,my german shepherd.I found a lot of landlords were more reasonable if they knew you were a responsable owner with a well behaved dog.I think a lot of landlords got fed up with people who left dogs barking constantly,desroyed apts,were agressive etc and owners who didn't clean up after thier pets.
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
-

Almost every add for appartments now a days says NO PETS.Landlords sucks.
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Carmen, I know of a couple places that will allow dogs. Is he looking for an APT or a house.....
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Crusader

People should reason with their landlord's.. make a deal let the landlord visit the apartment 4 times in 12 months.
after 2 times visiting chances are you would have gained their trust..
and like "Lise" said : I don't know if this would help.When I used to rent I always got letters of reference ...
i think that's a great idea !!
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:57 PM

I live in the Cote des Neiges Area and it's almost all duplexes and apartment buildings and there are alot of dog owners in this area.
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:00 PM

I am a landlord and although we have dogs, we don't allow pets in our bsmt apt. First off, my DH is allergic to cats so we can't have them in the house. Second, my own dogs come first, and so I don't want to create a problem having other dogs around downstairs. BUT... I do know the landlord/tenant act states that a tenant can NOT be kicked out of a rental unit for having an animal there EVEN if it is stated in the lease "no pets allowed". So, once you have been accepted and start living there, pets can be brought in and there is nothing that the landlord can do (except not renew the lease after it expires).
The only exception that I know of is if the presence of the animal is risking the health of another person living there.
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Rottie owner and lover

They can not kick the person out, but landlords have the right to kick the animal out. I found that out when I was looking to rent with a rottweiler. As I said Carmen. Depends on where he wants to live, I know of at least 4 places that allow dogs. Especially goldens
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

In the area where I live, the apartments allow two dogs max and cats. I live in a great location, basically everyone has a dog.
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Some landlords have really been burned by pet owners. The deposit paid does not even begin to cover damages left by irresponsible pet owners. Hence alot of places will not allow pets for that reason alone. Knights idea is great if you find a caring and understanding landlord. We had a lady here who lived in a house about 700 sq. feet in all. She had 2 or 3 dogs and puppies. Although she would have just showered, her clothes REEKED of EEEWWWW. Her dogs rarely went outside. Can you imagine what the inside of that house was like?? She rented from relatives so it was ok?! It's been up for sale for quite awhile now...hmmm wonder why it hasn't sold?
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16
How can landlords have so much power regarding pets.
I don't know about where you live, but where I live, the answer can be summed up in one word...insurance.

Landlords have to carry extra home insurance if they allow dogs. Cats are not an insurance issue, therefore, usually allowed. But to allow dogs HIKES up the insurance.

I'm sorry for your friend.. that's terrible.
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know abot Ontario but every province is different in terms of what domains regulate this - in some cases, municpalities create the bylaws and in some, provincial laws supercede the municipal laws. I would tell your friend to check the legislation governing rentals and what it says about pets or dogs. In all honesty, I would not want to be a landlord - not b/c I anticipate problems but I have enough issues at it is with having to operate a small business when all I want to do is pratice medicine. The govt has so many laws and regulations re all of these things that it is sometimes not that simple to navigate - and while I admiddely find it not too bad, I do find it time consuming and costly (for my staff in particular and for me b/c occasionally my wonderful admin assistant has to work long and extra hours just b/c of all this.) So, I don't envy landlords in that regard.

That said, tenants should know their rights as well and be unafrid if acting on them. It has been my own experience - hearing from patients - that often landlords will not rent to women with small children - often for the same reasons they do not want pets. I agree with the references - if you have references indicating your last location was spotless and you left nothing broken, your dog had good relations with others - 2 leeged and 4 pawed beings in the building. Sometimes, the larger places - who have more staff and thus, time to know the legislation, are better. (Just my observation here).

I vowed when I was a student and renting that I would become a home owner asap and I did! Even when my brother - who is younger than me, graduated from university and married not long after, my wedding present to them was a downpayment on a home. I think renting is essentially throwing away money and if you can borrow money to buy a house, even if you have to have a mortgage, it is far better investment and use of your fianances than renting. To me, that is like burning money - it does nothing for you in the long term. At least with a home, your friend can get to do what he wants - unless of course be buys a condo and that is whole other issue - with more regulations than the number of coffees sold by Tim's each day, lol

As an aside and my only note off this topic and forgive me for this what is the word (it's one of those days, can't think, lol - not staying on topic anyway and I'll be short even tho it is not my forte ) - not long after, my brother divorced and I had managed to sell a home my grandparents had once owned (at a loss because the market where the residence was a buyer's market but I just wanted to be rid of it (taxes, upkeep,etc) so I was still negotiating capital gains vs capital loss with Revenue Canada(I had sold stock to give them the gift) and capital losses and the marriage was over and he had sold the house and bought a new one, oy vey!)

Does Ontario have the equivilent of what we have - an office called the Rentalsman (sexist I know but it is very helpful to tenants). Each region has a rep in the area and renters can appeal being turned down or if say a landlord wil not refund a damage deposot, that sort of thing. Your friend should look into what govt help is avail to him. He should not have to give up a member of his family over this - it makes no sense!!!

Last edited by CyberKitten; March 30th, 2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:05 PM

I think a lot of landlords have had bad experiences with irresponsible pet owners, which fouls things up for those of us who are responsible. And some are just stupid . . . Like the apartment manager at a place I was looking at who went on about how dogs wouldn't be happy in apartments anyway and if she made ONE exception, she'd have to let EVERYONE with a pet in . . . Give me a break!

I was lucky enough to find a GREAT set of apartments near a natural pond and am now on their waiting list . . . When I was there looking I saw people walking Jack Russels, Rottweillers, and labs. Yay!

~LM~
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:15 PM

In my building we are allowed both cats and dogs. Originally when my boyfriend and I were looking for a place we wanted somewhere we could have a dog. Then once we found a place where we could have a dog we felt that it was too small and would not be fair to the dog. So as you can see we got a cat!

I can understand the frustration because we looked at many places before finding a nice one that would allow dogs.

I think sometimes some people ruin it for others. In my building there is someone who lets their dog poop in the hallway almost the same spot every day. Pretty gross. And it makes all dog owners look bad!

Slave to Maxwell
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarineB
In my building we are allowed both cats and dogs. Originally when my boyfriend and I were looking for a place we wanted somewhere we could have a dog. Then once we found a place where we could have a dog we felt that it was too small and would not be fair to the dog. So as you can see we got a cat!

I can understand the frustration because we looked at many places before finding a nice one that would allow dogs.

I think sometimes some people ruin it for others. In my building there is someone who lets their dog poop in the hallway almost the same spot every day. Pretty gross. And it makes all dog owners look bad!
Stick a note on the wall above the poop with the caption: "You're gonna ruin it for the rest of us. Please pick up the poop. "
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:53 PM

In ontario, at least, the common clause of 'no pets' or 'no dogs' is as illegal and unenforcable as a 'no children' clause.

What is legal is a 'no aggressive dogs' or 'no aggressive animals' policy.

There was a lawyer on CityLine answering rental/tenant questions this week or last and the exact question came up.

Just thought I'd mention that ...
Old March 30th, 2006, 04:15 PM

This is an excellent website for apt searching. Tells you if pets are allowed or not.

http://www.viewit.ca/city/montreal.aspx
Old March 30th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I had a friend who offered a dog damage deposit, and explained the dog was great, but just in case. (to be refunded when friend moves out, and there is no damage)

Also, I know I for one would keep looking, getting rid of my pet is not an option! ( and yes I have rented, with 6 cats!!)

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:27 PM

more ranting

My mom and sister jsut adopted a dog they are absolutely in love with and pets were allowed in their apartments - even large dogs. Today my mom has to go to a meeting where that may change . The landlord of the complex got POed (and I don't blame her). She pretty much said that every person with a pet had to show up to this meeting or they will get a 30 day eviction notice. She listed 2 complaints: dogs loose without leashes, dog poop EVERYWHERE and no one picks up. It's true though, my mom had the hardest time taking the dog outside because the place was DISGUSTING - even unsanitary for any kind of life (if you ask me). But it sucks that my mom is in this position and she has kept her apt clean, she cleans up after her dog when it's outside, and NEVER lets the dog anywhere without a leash. Still, we're praying she can have some mercy from the land lord.

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I think they can evict you for having pets if your lease says you're not allowed. It's a violation of a contract, isn't it?
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for all your imput, but this guy has 2 girls that he is also raising and he had to sign the lease....He gave himself 8 months....going to every available house for rent and had no choice at the end, but sign...I have never been put in a situation where I had to choose between your kids and your furbaby. All I know is that he is devestated. It will be very hard on both the cat and his family. He wants to spend the next few months looking for a good home that will hopefully treat his little Tiffany as well as he did, except for the giving up part, ofcourse.
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

All I know for sure, is money talks! And offering a deposit, or even more money per month then is asked (if they want 950 per month, then offer 1000 ), could open doors for this dog.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I think they can evict you for having pets if your lease says you're not allowed. It's a violation of a contract, isn't it?
Nope. Trust me, they can not. Landlords hands are tied in many cases... it is really hard to get rid of a bad tenant because the laws (and I only speak for Ontario) are protective so people don't end up on the street. Even if you put it in the contract (which I do...) it is unenforceable.
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Money works a lot, I think. That's what I did. I ended up agreeing to pay to have my half of the duplex recarpeted (beyond my security deposit) when I moved out, despite what it looks like or how good I take care of it, in order to convince my landlord that four cats and one dog was okay.
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Prin,

That's what I had thought. That question came up too.

According to the lawyer, the clause is unenforcable due to the fact that it is illegal. Sort of like trying to evict someone who had a signed a lease with a "no children" clause. Could the building evict them for either having kids, adopting kids or not disclosing their existence? No.

Interesting, yes?
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:17 AM
-

Every province has it's own legislation when it comes to the landlord and tenant relationship. Ontario's (former) Landlord and Tenant Act was changed with regard to pet restrictions as a result of the Cassandra v. Rhyll case in 1989 (later became known as the infamous "Fluffy Decision" on appeal). The upshot is one cannot be evicted from rental accommodations (which are not part of a condo corp.) in Ontario for breach of lease or frustration of contract for having signed a lease with a no pets clause and having a pet. One can be evicted, however, if the behaviour of the pet (ie. barking) or the actions/ lack of action of the pet owner (ie.not picking up poop) interferes with the reasonable enjoyment of the premises by the landlord or other tenants. Municipal by-laws govern the number and types of pets permitted in rental and owned units. "No children" leases in buildings other than those designated as Senior's buildings which are exempt, are a violation of the family status provisions in the Human Rights Code and the Code overarches all provincial and municpal legislation. The Landlord and Tenant Quebec's version of The Tenant Protection Act is I am sure very different from Ontario's - and Ontario's laws only changed because a woman loved her cat so much she wasn't prepared to back down -maybe it's time to spur Quebec legal clinics and animal rights activists onto a legal challenge!!

Last edited by mummummum; March 31st, 2006 at 02:21 AM.
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok..My friend told me that he offered the landlord more money...alot more and the answer was no. Does anyone in the West Island of MOntreal know of any one that is renting a home or large apartment (prefer. near train) that would allow a dog. He is willing to break his lease. He has until June 1 or he will have to find Tiffany a new home.
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM
-

Has he tried the apt's available on the Craigslist website for Montreal ? You can use "dogs ok" as a search factor. I just did a quick sweep on Montreal and got a number of hits - but I don't know enough about your suburb names to determine if any are relevant.