Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 5th, 2003, 02:13 PM

she chews everything!

My 10 week old Golden Retreiver likes to chew....EVERYTHING!
We have tried using different chew-stop sprays from the store, and she keeps going. We also heard tabasco sauce works...she liked it!
It seems like she really enjoys chewing on stationary objects, like base boards, the wood futon frame, kitchen cupboards and bed. Not only does she like all things wooden, Molly is starting to take a liking to metal as well, like air vents and door stoppers.
We have plenty of toys for her chewing pleasure, yet she doesn't like them as much as those things forbidden.
I am looking for suggestions on how to re-direct her chewing needs, and possible chew-toys she may enjoy.
Old December 5th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Its a phase a puppy phase that will last for awhile longer.

You just need to redirect the attention to something else

If your dog has chew toys and is uninterested maybe get something like a CET dental chew...they love the taste and its great for their teeth and chew on it for a long time.

You have to be patient and understanding as well as creative.

Trust me all dog owners have been through this and yes it does get better.

Freeze some of the chewy toys or give ice cubes to chew on....spend lots of time playing with pup and taking pup outside to play.

Just remember that they are indeed babies and you're gonna just have to be patient with them. Take a peek at some of the other posts on here about the same training issues. Puppies are puppies my friend and chewing at a young age is typical puppy behaviour.

Luba
Old December 5th, 2003, 07:58 PM

I had the same problem with my puppy (a border collie) who is now 14 weeks old. We finally figured out that he had trouble holding his chew toys "still enough" for his liking.

We started holding the chew toy or bone for him and this solved the problem. It also created some extra bonding time for us! He has just now started holding on to things on his own.

I don't know if this is your puppy's problem but I thought I would share. Good Luck!
Old December 9th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Why not get a toy called the Kong.What you can do is stuff a little treat in it.It is made of hard rubber.She will chew it for hours.But also make it so the treat can come out.Also,when you see her chewing,redirect her to one of her toys.Keep doing this.She will get the hint that her toy is ok to chew.And give lots of praise.This will take time.Be patient.As Luba said,have lots of playtime with her.
Old December 9th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Our golden was very much the same way - She's just over a year old now, and still loves to chew, although not as much as when she was a puppy.

A few things that worked for us:

- Get your dog a Kong. Stuff it with smelly yummy treats such as peanut butter, cheese, bananas, apple chunks, etc. Your dog will spend hours getting the yummy treats out, and then will probably be too tired to chew anything else.

- Give your dog frequent periods of exercise. A tired puppy is a happy puppy.

- we found our Golden gets a lot of enjoyment from "destroying" whatever it is she's chewing on, so edible chew toys such as rawhide, pigs ears, billy stix, etc. are great, although they can smell and make a mess

- Try and get your dog interested in other forms of play, such as tug-a-war, fetch, hide & seek. Get your golden a treat ball. She will love pushing it around trying to get the treats to fall out.

- And most importantly, make sure she knows what is chew appropriate and what isn't. If you catch her chewing on something inappropriate, give a firm "No", and replace whatever she is chewing on with an appropriate toy.

Lots of luck! It will get better, I promise!