Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 19th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Question Dog proof litter box?

Sydney has discovered the joys of cleaning out Jo's litter box. So I am on the hunt for a dog proof (or at least dog resistant) litter box. I have found some with swinging flaps (like a pet door) and Booda Clean Step Dome, that looks like it might be promising (though a bit $$ for a litter box). Any opinions on either of these?
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Performance Spaniels

Ex's cat had a door on her box with lid. Cider shoved her face in anyhow.
You more need a babygate with the box on the other side the dog can't get at, or a closet that stays shut with the litter box inside and a kitty door..
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

We installed a cat door, so that the cats can go downstairs where the litter is, but the dogs can't go...
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM
-

I have the one with the floppy door, dog's heads are to big to get into.But you can put your litter box in a corner,facing the corner? Just enough space for the cat to get in but not for the dogs.
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

hmm? my pups only went in the litter box a couple of times, I'd catch them, say no, and thengive them an alternative toy to play with (pb filled kong is much more loved than kitty litter in my house) and praise them for playing with the appropriate toy.... they still stick their head in there to bug the cats while their going sometimes, but they having been cleaning it for me lately
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Papa D

i put ours in the basement.then put a door stop to keep the door wedged open just enough for the cats.........oh i used to hate when the dogs came up with litter stuck on their noses beggin for kisses
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, LOL, this is a topic near and dear to my heart. I have the same problem with Petey who is absolutely nuts over kitty poo and can't understand why I get so upset when he sneaks those "tootsie roll" treats. Apparently kitty poo is loaded with kitty food remnants that some doggies find irresistable. I've tried the corner thing, the closet thing, the baby gate thing, various boxes with lids...but nothing worked. The box got pushed out of the corner, the lids got knocked off, the gate got jumped over, the closet door got opened (Yep, he even learned to open the door!). He can be very smart when motivated, lol.

So one weekend when my parents were visiting, I had my Dad build me a little shelf in the laundry room. He basically made a brace and then hammered a sheet of plywood onto it, just big enough and strong enough to hold the litter box and cat and just low enough for the cat to jump up to it, but high enough that Petey's nose can't reach it. Only cost a few dollars, but has worked marvelously. Incidentally, that was also around the same time that Petey finally started to lose weight on the diet doggie food he'd been on for quite a while. So no more "tootsie rolls" for Petey.

After I went through all this trouble, someone else made a simple suggestion to me that I would have tried if I hadn't already had the shelf built. They suggested I get one of those wire dog kennels and keep the litter inside. One where there is enough space between the wire for the cat to fit through, but small enough for the dog not to. So that may perhaps be another suggestion if you have a bigger dog.

Good luck!
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:21 AM

I often think it would be a lot cheaper just to feed my dogs cat poop than to buy big bags of expensive food for them, they seem to like poop better anyway. The only solution I have found to this problem is to prevent access to the litter box. I have tried the boxes with doors on them and not only do they not keep the dogs out, if the dog sticks their face in there while the cat is doing their business the cat may never use that litter box again. Then you not only have the problem of dogs eating cat poop, you have a cat who will find a safer place in the house to go (usually your carpet).
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:56 PM

Our Litter box (or rather Minnie's litter box) is in the basement too.
My husband (a jack of all trades) made a kitty door too going down to the basement and framed it off so it looks nice and we just LOVE it!

It was funny... I dog sat for my brother in laws Rott who thought that somehow his hugemongous head might fit through the little kitty hole

Now I've been trying to train my Papillon not to go down and get kitty treats because she is small enough to fit through the hole and that is a frustration for us. But lately when I go down to do laundry I come back up and she is sitting at the top of the stairs waiting for me like... Look mommy, I'm a good girl see!!!

ALTHOUGH this morning when coming inside after going potty she was carrying a big tird in her mouth... looked like a cigar hanging out some other animal must have pooped in the yard. I was grossed out... and then when I was sitting on my bed getting ready for work she kept wanting to kiss me
Old November 21st, 2006, 05:09 PM

We have our litter boxes in a closet, with a cat door type of idea (the doors are by-folding and we cut out the bottoms of each panel, replacing 3 of them with fixed plexiglass and one panel is on hinges so that it flaps). I found that the 'doors' help keep the dog from smelling it which in turn lets him forget that snacks can be had... I must say that the dog can fit in it, but you can hear him go in and correct as required (Michelle, I wish my dog was as trainable as yours in this respect!)
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM

My roommate keeps the litter box in the other bathroom. I put up the baby gate off the floor with enough room for the kitty to get under. Makes it interesting when I have to do laundry...
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha's mum View Post
My roommate keeps the litter box in the other bathroom. I put up the baby gate off the floor with enough room for the kitty to get under. Makes it interesting when I have to do laundry...
Investing in a baby gate that is fixed but on hinges (frame is fixed, gate itself swings open) might be worthwhile...
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I have mine up on a table that the doggie cant reach..

works well and I already had the table!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Our cat weighed 22 lbs. - our dog weighs 22 lbs. and loved to help clean out the litterbox. With cat and dog weighing same, you can probably figure out how that went. Hope you have better luck. We had all forms of litter boxes over the years - but obviously they had to be big - and we always got the type with the flap opening - better for the dog to be hidden while helping.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG, I really should not be eating chocolate and reading this.

Sounds like you have some great advice. I don't have a dog, but I have seen some cabinets sold just for cat litter. They are pretty expensive, but perhaps your hubby can build one. Maybe find some sort of cabinet and make a do it ourself kitty bathroom. I've also seen things that look like trunks. You life the top and put the litter in there, and you have an opening. If you found one big enough, you could put a large box in there, make a hole and your cat can go in and out. You can even make a whole on the front and put some sort of grate on it, to allow some light and fresh air to circulate.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

This is a really old thread. I would hope the OP has figured out a solution by now, lol.

Cindy
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
This is a really old thread. I would hope the OP has figured out a solution by now, lol.

Cindy
Yikes! LOL it is old! I saw it pop up and figured it was new.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

There was a posting earlier but it looks like this was a spammer? and Marko has deleted it!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Smile

I had a very similar problem with my dog belle when my wife decided to bring home a kitten. No idea why (we have 3 dogs). While all the pets seem to be getting along fine, my oldest, and largest, dog belle seemed to be attracted to the scents from the litter box. Anyway, long story short, I found a perfect solution at dog proof cat litter box. Well worth it for $34 and my dogs are unable to make a mess of the kittens potty.

Hope this helped