Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 29th, 2005, 04:45 PM

teaching "stay"

ok, i have to admit that even though duffy's 5 months, his training has gone to well. we had a disastrous time at puppy school (note to puppy owners: do your research before picking a teacher!). but our biggest problem is getting him to stay. he can't differentiate between when we're running around playing and when we are serious and want him to stay.
our biggest concern are the two instances when he got away from us outside. we tell him to stay and chase after time and he thinks we're playing. this scares us to death.
how can we get him to stop when we say so.
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Arf! Arf!

Maybe try a leash.

My dog loves to run and he becomes deaf when there are people or dogs around.

He is 100% obedient in the backyard where there aren't any distractions but if there are dogs or people around...forget about it.

So I use the leash and when I want him to stay I give him the sit command and I don't let him move. After giving the command I also take up all of the slack in the leash so the leash is only 2 feet long and he can't do anything but sit or stand.

I've started training him on a leash in front of other dogs and people and its like starting all over again but he is making progress.

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:55 PM

I would say at 5 months your puppy is not ready to be off leash yet. You have to train through correction and distraction phases before you can even consider letting him loose and having him respond. You're doing great, keep up the good work.....
Oh yeah, check out this site www.leerburg.com you'll find some wonderful info on training
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:03 PM

We taught Gabby to stay by standing close to her and facing her, first having her sit, then giving a hand signal (show him your palm) as we say the stay command. Only say the command once, but the hand signal can be repeated as often as needed. When it is OK for him to move always give the same release command (we use "all done"), and praise like crazy when he does it right. Start wth very short duration stays and gradually increase the time. When he starts to get the hang of it you can try steppng away during the stay. If at any time he stands up, regive the hand signal...just step closer if he won't re-sit.

Once gabby was good at home, we started doing it on walks with distractions. Its basically like starting over. Main thing is be patient and consistent. Never just give up on the command, or else the dog learns you aren't serious. I agree with the shorter leash idea, but would not keep it tight...just short. Tight leashes introduce tension to the situation.

I can now have Gabby stay in the kitchen and go upstairs for several minutes until I release her...she will also stay at intersections, although I can't leave (wouldn't want to anyways!). Good Luck

Last edited by jjgeonerd; March 29th, 2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Just so you know,you should never "chase" after him.This is a game to him.Does he know the "come" command?

This is what I did to teach my dogs the "stay" command when they were pups.

I had them on the leash.It was a 30' training one.I worked with one at a time.I had the one on the leash.As Tron was heeling on the walk,I would get him to sit.As he was on my left side,I would bring my hand down and say "stay".Then I would take a few steps in front of him,turn and face him.If he would get out of the "stay",I corrected him by starting over again.What I mean is I would walk him around,get him to sit,and give the "stay" command again.Take a few steps and turn around and face him again.I had to do this about 3 times.When he managed to stay,I waited a few minutes,then said "ok" and called him then I praised him like crazy and gave him his favorite ball..I then started to leave more of the lead slack.I was able to to walk 6' and face him.Then 12'.And so on.He picked up pretty quick.And so did Yukon.Using this training lead also helped in training with the "come" command.I did this in the park where there was many distractions.To me I just found it easier.