Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old April 20th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Please vote-Pitbull to be put down in Ontario, making news

for not being spayed....it is making the news in Hamilton, ON
Vote here: http://www.900chml.com/news/news_local.cfm
Scroll down a little and on right hand side under "POLL" Vote!

Roy Green Show
Wednesday April 19

Today:
An exclusive talk with the mother of a 9 year old boy who is about to have his pet dog "executed" under Ontario's Pit Bull ban law.
An innocent dog caught between a family's financial challenge and a law virtually all all involved organizations argued against.

The issue will be raised in the Ontario legislature this afternoon by NDP MPP Peter Kormos.

Peter, the Mom and "others" will join us at 9 tomorrow morning. We'll even invite the Attorney General to participate.

Tune in....
Roy
http://www.900chml.com/station/roy_green_show.cfm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it was even brought up in the Ontario Legislature by an Ontario MPP NDP Peter Kormos:
PIT BULL LEGISLATION

Mr. Peter Kormos (Niagara Centre): A question to the Attorney General: Earlier today on CHML's Roy Green Show, I spoke with a Hamilton mom, Lorinda Burke. Her nine-year-old son's dog, Jasper, an alleged pit bull, is about to be destroyed because she could not afford to have it spayed. Now she has obtained the money. She is prepared to pay for the operation for her family pet to be spayed, but animal control says that Jasper has to be killed anyway. What's the logic to that, when she's prepared to have the dog spayed in compliance with your legislation but animal control says, no, your law requires that it be put to death?

Hon. Michael Bryant (Attorney General) : The member knows that the implementation of the law and the application of the law is done at a local level. Mayor Di Ianni has said that the rules are the rules and the law is the law and that the law must be complied with. I am confident that they will resolve this at the local level.

We have rules in place. We have laws in place. People are aware of the laws. The law sets forth a process. There is a process. They'll make their application, make their submissions, and animal control and the local municipality will resolve this issue. The mayor has said that this is the way it ought to work, and that's the way it will work.

Mr. Kormos: Well, Attorney General, unfortunately, your law is so defective and so deficient in terms of advice to municipalities and support for them in the interpretation of the law that the law is applied helter-skelter, checkerboarded across the province.

The dog never bit anybody, never displayed any signs of aggressiveness -- no signs whatsoever of posing a danger -- yet it was an unspayed alleged pit bull; two years old, I'll tell you. Attorney General, you haven't exactly shown a great deal of proficiency at picking them out yourself, have you?

A pit bull, a dog that has caused no harm; a nine-year-old boy's pet, a family pet. The woman couldn't afford to have the dog spayed; now she can. Why won't you and your ministry permit this woman to comply with the law, have the dog spayed and return this pet to its owner, a nine-year-old kid?

Hon. Mr. Bryant: Again, the member knows that this is a matter that is going to be dealt with by the municipality locally. The legislation, on which we undertook extensive debate in this Legislature, is really the most comprehensive dangerous dog legislation of its kind on the continent. The very concern that the member raises, the patchwork concern that he raises -- in fact, that's why we brought in province-wide legislation. Instead of having one municipality have one set of rules and another municipality have another set of rules, we brought in province-wide legislation.

The member will know that in the Niagara region Lylie Brook Bowman says she's still haunted by a pit bull attack last spring that left her with permanent nerve damage in her hand and seriously injured her dog. She said, "I was really traumatized. I can't begin to tell you how scared I am to walk my dog down the street."

It's because of people like this from the Niagara region that we brought forward the legislation. It is legislation about public safety. It is clear legislation. It is in the hands of local municipalities, and they will implement it. I'm confident they'll implement it appropriately.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/hansard/house...htm#P453_87886
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM

That's sad.:sad:
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

What a coward. Now it is the municipalities that are to blame. Sure they may be pulling the trigger but Bryant handed them the weapon. Like I said...a coward. Gangs aren't scared of him, bikers aren't scared of him, drug dealers aren't scared of him. Sadly a nine year old child is.

Hon. Michael Bryant (Attorney General) : The member knows that the implementation of the law and the application of the law is done at a local level. Mayor Di Ianni has said that the rules are the rules and the law is the law and that the law must be complied with. I am confident that they will resolve this at the local level.
Attached Images

Old April 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Papa D

i just voted.....79% for the no side.......and a sad 21% are heartless......hope the election goes this way.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM

This is very sad indeed but the law is the law is the law !!! At least according to the present and temporary incumbants of QUEENS Park .
I like all of you hope this is resolved in favour of the dog and the 9 year old boy but unfortunetly it is stories like these that we must endure if the public is to become aware of how wrong this law is.
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

An identical case was won in Sarnia. This one has a mitigating factor - economics. I wonder if this family would be eligible for the National Child Benefit Supplement that McGuinty has clawed back.
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Yes, true the law is the law and people can criticize the owner but you know, the dog loses no matter what.

Twodogs...can I use that picture of the little girl crying?
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

This is just discusting! Theres no point even commenting on the soon to be ex AG how can he get up in the house and spew such garbage??? same way as he has for the last two years obviously.
This would be a good time to mass releas that pic 2 Dogs!!!!
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Papa D

one good thing is bryant and dalton are under fire on a number of fronts.....this bsl and the caledonia indian blockade and the toronto violence.....
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:31 PM
-

81 % for the Good and 19% for the less-than-human now. Let's hope wisdom and humanity prevails.
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeaches
Yes, true the law is the law and people can criticize the owner but you know, the dog loses no matter what.

Twodogs...can I use that picture of the little girl crying?
You sure can.
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdawson
one good thing is bryant and dalton are under fire on a number of fronts.....this bsl and the caledonia indian blockade and the toronto violence.....
I will give you my thoughts on that.

Even before the Ipperwash inquiry is completed, even after OPP officers (or at least a group of officers willing to pull the trigger and then lie about it) were charged AND convicted in the death of Dudley George during the Ipperwash Standoff Dalton McGuinty sits back as more native protesters are evicted by the same police force which has had some members found guilty of past abuse. His comments: “We believe in the independence of the Ontario Provincial Police”.

We would all like to believe in that Mr. McGuinty and share your trust of police officers but we know that it was members of the OPP that pulled the trigger on Dudley George not a Premier. The same force that once again evicted protesters in Caledonia this morning with guns drawn. Should you not be concerned for the potential of escalating violence? Have we learned nothing from Ipperwash?

Mr. Harris made a huge mistake sending them in. The question is: Did he believe that any of the officers would act illegally? Most likely not. You Mr. McGuinty know that there is the potential because you sir called for the inquiry. By ignoring the fact and trying to keep hands off you are actually being negligent, if not legally – morally.
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:21 AM

Angry here we go. . .

I'm in favor of the dog being euthanize. . .Pit bull's are a danger, and I believe it is a matter of public safety. A Herding dog will always have herding instincts; a hunting dog will always have hunting instincts; and a fighting dog will always have fighting instincts. Sadly pit bull's were bred to fight, this has nothing to do with they way their raised or trained, it's something that's bred into them. Thank God this dog is being killed before it harms the 9 year old child that's involved. Hopefully his parents will refrain from getting anymore animals if they are not in a financial situation to provide them with necessary veterinary expenses. When the time does come to get a new puppy, perhaps she will also educate herself and get a safer more appropriate breed of family dogs.
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlesFreedom
I'm in favor of the dog being euthanize. . .Pit bull's are a danger, and I believe it is a matter of public safety. A Herding dog will always have herding instincts; a hunting dog will always have hunting instincts; and a fighting dog will always have fighting instincts. Sadly pit bull's were bred to fight, this has nothing to do with they way their raised or trained, it's something that's bred into them. Thank God this dog is being killed before it harms the 9 year old child that's involved. Hopefully his parents will refrain from getting anymore animals if they are not in a financial situation to provide them with necessary veterinary expenses. When the time does come to get a new puppy, perhaps she will also educate herself and get a safer more appropriate breed of family dogs.
Actually here in Canada we have about one death a year due to dog attacks. Most are multiple dog attacks. In over twenty years two pit bulls have been on that list (the same attack by a drunken man who provoked them)....sheepdogs\ mixes at least a dozen. I think the family has a fine dog.

People should fear what is real. Dangerous pit bulls are deadly, so are dangerous dogs of all breeds. Two small dogs have been killed in our region in the last six months. Not by pit bulls. The problem is multifaceted. You don’t hear of attacks by other dogs, a large number of pit bulls are owned by idiots and people don’t care for the facts. As I said the facts here in Canada do not support this law.

I recently spent time with an animal rescue organization in Louisiana after Katrina and worked with over a hundred pit bulls. Yes many were rescued fighting dogs and many were simply just pets. Not one of them ever looked at a human sideways. Although pit bulls made up the majority of dogs in the big dog section none of them needed the yard cleared before they could be exercised. I can’t say that about the other breeds.
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:40 AM
Meaghan Edwards

Quote:
. . . I'm speechless. If there's anyone who needs eduction, it is people like you.

Absolutely EVERY dog owner needs to jump on the bandwagon to fight against BSL. It doesn't matter what breed or mix you own; if you have a Shih Tzu or a Staffordshire; just by supporting breed bans, you could very well be sending your dog to it's early grave. I've always said this; I'm against BSL 100% and I own both a Shiba Inu and a Scottish Terrier. With Bill 132, it's not just pit bulls that are threatened, but dogs which are deemed "menacing" for such simple things as chasing a cat out of it's yard or spooking someone who's afraid of dogs. For that, they can be taken away and killed.

Please check out these links:

http://gprime.net/flash.php/thepitbullproblem**
http://www.understand-a-bull.com
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/
http://www.realpitbull.com/
http://www.dogwatch.net/
http://www.pitbulllovers.com/ (epsecially make a point of going to "Breed Bans - The Facts" and "Pit Bull Terrier Myths")
http://www.pitbullforum.com
http://www.pitbullrescuesandiego.com/myths.htm
http://www.pitbullpress.com/
http://pbrc.net/petbull/pospress.html

More pit bulls have saved lives than taken or harmed them. Many are qualified therapy dogs, while others are used for assisting people in wheelchairs and many children have been found thanks to pit bulls who are used for search and rescue. Anything a a Labrador can, a pit bull can do just as well, if not better. Again, please educate yourself. Breed bans are extremely dangerous; they ignore the real problem and that is stupid pet owners and puppymillers. Thanks to Michael Bryant, a child may very well die becuase of his stupidity.

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; April 21st, 2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:38 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
Do you realize there are more attacks by golden retrievers than pit bulls??? You really need to educate yourself.
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:53 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

And another thing, I'm not trying to be rude or put anyone down, but I've always been taught that you should research things before you make an opinion -- especially on potentially explosive subjects. If you haven't done any research then you should not make any opinions. That's just the way I was raised.

Now in your case, you've obviously have not done any research whatsoever. Do you have any idea how hard most of us work to fight the BSL ban whether we own pits or not? The ban can happen to ANY BREED OF DOG!

I happen to own a pitbull. Her nose was bit by a JACK RUSSELL TERRIER. What did this vicious pitbull do? She cowered behind me shaking with her ears down and tail between her legs. She was devestated because she was bit. So tell me, which dog is the danger here?

Do some research then come back!
Old April 21st, 2006, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Pit bulls can be great pets when owned by caring and responsible people fully aware that they own an animal capable of inflicting great damage. The same is true of all breeds.

One of the other problems with pit bulls is that they are certainly the breed of choice for those that want an intimidating dog. How do these types of people respond to the banning of the breed of their choice?

What would you do if they banned red cars because some idiot ran down a child while driving a red car and yet you have owned a red car for years without even one speeding ticket? Well if you need a car or want a car a black one or a silver one would do wouldn’t it?.

Similarly the types of dog owners wanting a dog for all the wrong reasons have simply moved on. Here in the Niagara Region three dogs have suddenly come onto the radar. Dobermans, Mastiffs and even Tosas. Visit PetSmart on Saturday morning and start counting the new pups coming in.

In the wrong hands these dogs have the potential to be as deadly as or deadlier than a pit bull in the wrong hands. For god sakes any breed could.

Spare me the argument about pit bulls being bred to fight. Dobermans were bred as guard dogs (against humans), Mastiffs as war dogs (combatants used against humans ) and Tosas are Japanese fighting dogs. While I have no issues with these breeds on a dog by dog basis I do if they were selected just because somebody wanted a mean looking dog.

Question: Other than banning these breeds next what is the solution to address the fact that some of these owners want these dogs for the same reasons that pit bulls were very desirable? Remember, the answer is not banning.

The only thing that has changed is that these dogs will consume more food. To those that support bans you are simply trading one problem for another until so many breeds are banned that you realize you had it all wrong. Sadly you are too stubborn to admit it so you continue and ban the next breed. At least that is how it works in Italy.
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM

Hamilton Radio

Did anyone happen to catch the 9am interview?
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM
Meaghan Edwards

Quote:
When the time does come to get a new puppy, perhaps she will also educate herself and get a safer more appropriate breed of family dogs.
BTW, it was a Labrador that caused that woman in France to get a face transplant. Just an example of why you're so wrong.
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Before you truly jump on the bsl wagon please think about what you are saying. It does not make any sense. Yes, the history of pitbulls is a very sad one...they were trained to fight....but they were not trained to fight humans. Do you know the difference between human aggression and dog aggression? Dog aggression=dislikes other dogs. Human aggression=an unsouund dog and it is not acceptable in pitbulls. A pitbull should never ever attack a human.
I do hope if you own a dog you know the difference between human and dog aggression....because if you own a dog and it becomes dog aggressive will you be afraid it will attack a child? There is no correlation.
There are a higher number of bites by other breeds...Labs, GSD's, we just do not hear about them as they are not as sensational as when a pitbull bites. Should we ban the other breeds with higher numbers of bites ...NO! Banning a breed or type of dog does not solve anything.

Also, my oldest pitbull x (onleash) was attacked by an offleash Chow on a city sidewalk. She was minorly injured while the Chow walked away fine. Should we ban Chows??? Nope.

Oh and if you think it is a matter of public safety what about all the actual crime happening?? Over a week ago, 8 male bodies were found stuffed in cars 10 minutes from my family's home......but don't worry my dogs are muzzled and were nowhere near the crime scene.

Last edited by Georgiapeaches; April 21st, 2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
BTW, it was a Labrador that caused that woman in France to get a face transplant. Just an example of why you're so wrong.
Her OWN labrador, even!
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Blesfreedom... hmm do you mean freedom for all or just you?

You came to a BSL area of the site and threw this comment in.

CAN YOU SAY :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:

Why don't you go one the main parts of this board with that same info. I can betcha money you would have only one supporter, yourself! Because see these other breed owners know very well and have educated themselves on BSL. YOu realize Ohio just ruled it unconstitutional. Freedom?
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:28 PM

Wow!

Quote:
Talk about racial profiling.

Well then, could someone sort of explain to me the difference between a hunting and fighting dog. Wouldn't they have the same prey drive?? I mean all terriers were bred for hunting. From Toy Fox Terriers, to Jack Russell Terriers, to Schnauzers, etc. I could list off a schwack load more. So, does this mean that ALL hunting dogs are going to hunt for us? No, just like all hearding dog aren't going to heard people, etc. etc.

Someone needs some form of education. It's the media that makes people think that ALL pit bulls are fighters, when reality is that almost 100% of them have never bitten anyone! Maybe people need to train their dogs and socialize them a little bit better.

I was bit by a German Shepherd two years ago and don't totally have use of my thumb. Does that mean that I dislike all German Shepherds????? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I may not like the one that latched onto me, but I'm not about to blame all of the Sheps or dogs that look like Sheps because of this.

Sorry to rant all, some people just don't get it do they?
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

This person has already had there first thread locked so i wouldn't worry to much.

Lets move on and ignore it or else this will be locked.

:troll:
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:51 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
You def. need a little education!

Ya, so Pit Bulls were bred to fight................other dogs - NOT HUMANS!!!!!!!!!!!!! So why would this 9 year old child be in any danger?? Can you answer this?

RESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP prevents any attacks on other dogs. As there are many precautions we take in everyday life to avoid anything bad happening to us or the ones we love, there are also precautions to take when owing dogs - ANY breed.

we neeed a puking smiley because that's how I feel right now
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:59 PM

Anyhow, back on topic....that person is a troll screw 'em.

If you would like to hear Roy Green's opinion on the law and Muchael Bryant click on this link:http://www.900chml.com/station/roy_g...rtRow=1&arch=1

Here is a quote from Mr. Green:
Quote:
"You have lost in the court of public opinion Mr. Bryant, I suspect you will also lose in a real courtroom next month"
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:58 PM

Pit bull bits have more publicity then other dog bits because of the severity of the injuries they inflict. Yes, pits were bred to fight other dogs but that they have a drive from that breeding that keeps them going. They are more dangerous because they don't let up. . .Once they attack their instinct kicks in and they are more likely to cause death to someone then a lab or retriever (not saying that any lab or retriever has never killed anyone, just stating that statically the numbers speak for themselves).
There are a lot of responsible dog owners but it takes one irresponsible owner for someone child to be killed. A dog simply can't be valued on the same level as a human.
If the woman in the case the thread is about was a responsible dog owner she would have had the money to spay her dog before it was 2 years old. Part of dog ownership is providing your pet with medical care. Part of medical care is spaying and neutering (unless the dog is intended for breeding). I just don't see how everyone seems to think this lady is a victim.
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
PLEASE read the rules before posting. They can be found here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=4&a=12

Within them, you will read the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RULES
Most people on this forum are against declawing cats, and are against banning specific dog breeds. Most people on this forum are VERY pro spay/neuter, and are against backyard breeding. Most people on this board will beg, borrow and max out their credit cards to see a veterinarian when their pets are ill.
We do not tolerate members deliberately upsetting other members. Please keep that in mind.
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Pit bull bits have more publicity then other dog bits because of the severity of the injuries they inflict. Yes, pits were bred to fight other dogs but that they have a drive from that breeding that keeps them going. They are more dangerous because they don't let up. . .Once they attack their instinct kicks in and they are more likely to cause death to someone then a lab or retriever (not saying that any lab or retriever has never killed anyone, just stating that statically the numbers speak for themselves).
There are a lot of responsible dog owners but it takes one irresponsible owner for someone child to be killed. A dog simply can't be valued on the same level as a human.
If the woman in the case the thread is about was a responsible dog owner she would have had the money to spay her dog before it was 2 years old. Part of dog ownership is providing your pet with medical care. Part of medical care is spaying and neutering (unless the dog is intended for breeding). I just don't see how everyone seems to think this lady is a victim.

So basically what your saying is that yes labs can kill but pit bulls can kill harder? Also why not see the other thread in this forum where the dog was identified in the media as a pit bull but is in no way shape or form a pit bull. see thread: news claims pit bull attacked, look at the picture.. ahh I forgot the name of it and I created it...

This is just an example of how often and blatantly the media and police misidentify a dog breed. Michael Bryant is the catalyst for the breed ban in Ontario and even quoted an incident to make his point about a cambrige newspaper boy getting attacked. It was discovered later that the dog was a cross between a whippet and dalmation possibly, of course the news nor did Michale correct it.
Not to mention how dearly flawed statistics are as they do not account for whether the dog is unaltered, chained, socialized, male or female, abused neglected. Ask any shelter what their number one breed of dog is there? Pit bull. And what dog they feel is most abused, you guessed it pit bull. One thing is certain Pit bulls are often used as a status symbol which I am sure you cannot deny. So if all this is so could that have any bearing on the increase in pit bull bites? I guess it would have nothing to do with ownership? Ofcourse it has everything to do with ownership. I am actualy suprised that you didn't claim they have lock jaw but by your description maybe you believe they do. If so, ask your vet. Better yet ask your vet about this breed in general.

Do you really think that the media shows all dog bites? Or is it just pit bulls attacking? Media has been proven that they prefer pit bull stories because it grabs peoples attention.

What kind of person goes to a BSL spot about PIT BULLs and PIT BULL LOVERS and starts talking about them as if they were meant to die. We own these animals and have alot of support from very SMART no pit bull owners and owners alike.

Don't kid yourself I am in no way upset. Us owners are used to people like you its more amusing now then anything. I can place my life on the line that you will not win this argument.

Also I didn't realize responsible owners are directly related to the amount of money they make. Silly me.